Do we let Taupau go?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Still want to let him go? Manly is a different team when he is in the bench
His D is pretty average. I eat my statement a fair bit as he is a gun... i’ll cop that.

When he was on we let 3 tries in. Wasnt all him, but him along with a fair few other players defence really isnt that great.

However my reason for saying lets let marty go wasnt a knock on him as a player, it was more that I think we need a more balanced team, I.E. not $2mn in the middle and less than half of that in the 4 positions outwide.

His D is pretty average. I eat my statement a fair bit as he is a gun... i’ll cop that.

When he was on we let 3 tries in. Wasnt all him, but him along with a fair few other players defence really isnt that great.

However my reason for saying lets let marty go wasnt a knock on him as a player, it was more that I think we need a more balanced team, I.E. not $2mn in the middle and less than half of that in the 4 positions outwide.
That's the argument. It's about team balance NOT about whether Taupau is good or not

Great solution.

Why thank you.

I didn't say anything about selling our good players, just the ones we overpay.
DCE is worth about 800k, Tom is worth about 400k coz he only plays 6 or 7 games a year and Jake is worth about 600k(this year about 400k). I'd be happy to keep Taupau on 600k if we didn't have to pay the 3 above so much. If we don't offload one of the above then Walker and Taupau need to go.

Did you watch today? That's what happens when you have 3.2M tied up in 3 players, have poor TPA and brown paper bag availability. A few injuries and your'e fielding a NSW Cup standard side. We have the worst cap to available monies imbalance in the comp.

I'm good to give Metcalfe( i'd be good with Burton and ok with Cogger) a shot at a halves pairing with Schuster, groom Hoppa for the FB slot (which is what will happen while Tom is always injured), and buy 3, young, fast outside backs. Jake is an absolute wast of money at lock in the new game.

Nobody here has faced the reality that with our total monies available we cannot pay 3.2M for 3 players and have enough left over to field a competitive FG squad of 28.

I have faced you truth, most of the rest here seem to prefer denial and whinge when the same crap will continue to happen. You think this year is bad, if Tom doesn't get over his hammy problem next year it will look like a dream run after we fork out for the Trb Bros upgrade, Walkers bigger money, Cust's upgrade, Hoppa's upgrade etc.

Thanks, you were great...i'll see myself out.

If we are blaming support cast players (on support cast money) for the whole team falling over, then we have big problems.

Just need to be more selective with these second level players. They should primarily be young up and comers with potential, or solid hard workers. The balance at present is poor. Too many players who just do the basics. You need the top level players well paid to hold them. Every side has them that succeeds

Why thank you.

I didn't say anything about selling our good players, just the ones we overpay.
DCE is worth about 800k, Tom is worth about 400k coz he only plays 6 or 7 games a year and Jake is worth about 600k(this year about 400k). I'd be happy to keep Taupau on 600k if we didn't have to pay the 3 above so much. If we don't offload one of the above then Walker and Taupau need to go.

Did you watch today? That's what happens when you have 3.2M tied up in 3 players, have poor TPA and brown paper bag availability. A few injuries and your'e fielding a NSW Cup standard side. We have the worst cap to available monies imbalance in the comp.

I'm good to give Metcalfe( i'd be good with Burton and ok with Cogger) a shot at a halves pairing with Schuster, groom Hoppa for the FB slot (which is what will happen while Tom is always injured), and buy 3, young, fast outside backs. Jake is an absolute wast of money at lock in the new game.

Nobody here has faced the reality that with our total monies available we cannot pay 3.2M for 3 players and have enough left over to field a competitive FG squad of 28.

I have faced you truth, most of the rest here seem to prefer denial and whinge when the same crap will continue to happen. You think this year is bad, if Tom doesn't get over his hammy problem next year it will look like a dream run after we fork out for the Trb Bros upgrade, Walkers bigger money, Cust's upgrade, Hoppa's upgrade etc.

Thanks, you were great...i'll see myself out.
“Ok with Cogger” was enough for me

Sea Eagles 2008 : Perry, King, Kite, Cuthbertson, Bryant
Sea Eagles 2011: Galuvao, Kite, King, Rose, Mauro

Though a couple of these also played second row, they all played as props, no different to what we have now..

Other than Kite none of those guys were taking anywhere near the cap hit that AFB, Taupau and Jake are eating into. This is not even close.

And I wasn't just referring to past Manly premierships. Look at every year.

Not sure if your a troll or just really high.
The average salary under the cap is $333,000 Marty is on $600,000.
A top 6 is well over Marty's salary (maybe 1.5 X) and we would be down a top shelf prop.
Who was the last team to win a grandfinal without 2 good props?

Not sure you can read properly but where did I say you can win a GF without 2 good props?

List all the players at Manly on more than Marty.

I said millions $$ invested in multiple props doesn't win you comps. Please point to when this has happened in the past.

Then I will show you all the premiership teams with millions invested in their spines.

Last edited:
Sea Eagles 2008 : Perry, King, Kite, Cuthbertson, Bryant
Sea Eagles 2011: Galuvao, Kite, King, Rose, Mauro

Though a couple of these also played second row, they all played as props, no different to what we have now..
Your post literally proves my point.

None of those props were superstars or even rep players other than Kite. And he wasn't eve. One of the top 3 props in the game at the time.

Cuthbo, Rose, an old Galuvao, Perry, Bryant. Is this a gee up?

Vic Mauro for crying out loud.

Yet we won the comp. Twice.

Other than Kite none of those guys were taking anywhere near the cap hit that AFB, Taupau and Jake are eating into. This is not even close.

And I wasn't just referring to past Manly premierships. Look at every year.

You'll find most clubs have a number of enforcers who play prop but can double at second row. We pay big for these two because they are recognised as two of the very best in the comp. Most critics have them well in the top 10. Manly have rarely had such top ranking props at the same time. The problems with this Manly side are not Taupau and AFB. I would rank them after Turbo, DCE, Jake ( and Fainu when he plays) as the next two most important assets we have (mind you Schuster may soon join that group). You build around them, you dont cut your foundation to build a better roof.

I don’t think the team needs changing too much. We just need to finish more games with the same team we started with.

Whenever players go off injured we just turn to ****. Players playing out of position is ok for a couple of games but we seemed to have it happen week in week out.

Luck has a lot to do with it. If we had Fainu, Turbo and Walker and AFB all season and lost say anyone else but DCE our shape wound look way better.

Take out 3/4 of our spine and AFB whom missed half the season and we look like a 10th - 12th position team.

Have all those players week in week out we are top 4. Not just myself but many an expert had is in the top 4 at the start of the year and pre that dreaded game against the Raiders we were looking the part.

The loss to parra doesn’t happen and we are in the top 4. We need youth yes but the the side was looking pretty balanced with stars and good club men till we had around $2 mil sitting on the sidelines/house arrest most of the year.

AFB and Taupau are not our problem. They are a strength that are both reasonably paid for how good they are.

Jake is not a prop, he is a lock. I don't understand why so many people think otherwise. Hiz strength is in his work rate and ball playing ability, not his pure go forward.

After last night I'm super confident in 2021. A load of talent coming through. Our young backs will build on last night and our young forwards are coming through soon I'm sure. Future looks bright.

You'll find most clubs have a number of enforcers who play prop but can double at second row. We pay big for these two because they are recognised as two of the very best in the comp. Most critics have them well in the top 10. Manly have rarely had such top ranking props at the same time. The problems with this Manly side are not Taupau and AFB. I would rank them after Turbo, DCE, Jake ( and Fainu when he plays) as the next two most important assets we have (mind you Schuster may soon join that group). You build around them, you dont cut your foundation to build a better roof.
You still haven't answered my initial surmising.

Big money props (of which we now have 3) don't win comps.

Big money spines win comps.

The point of NRL is to win trophies.

Some on here would lead you to believe it's to feel all warm and fuzzy about existing players.

Taupau is a top player. Not up for debate.

Taupau rips in every week. Not up for debate.

Taupau has been a great club man. Not up for debate.

Taupau's salary is the most expendable of our top six paid players and could be better used to balance our depth, sign positions of need, or retain some gun juniors. Yep pretty much.

At the end of the day would you rather have AFB Jake and a top 3 NRL hooker/#6 or AFB, Jake and Marty?

What would help our team more right now?

AFB and Taupau are not our problem. They are a strength that are both reasonably paid for how good they are.

Jake is not a prop, he is a lock. I don't understand why so many people think otherwise. Hiz strength is in his work rate and ball playing ability, not his pure go forward.

After last night I'm super confident in 2021. A load of talent coming through. Our young backs will build on last night and our young forwards are coming through soon I'm sure. Future looks bright.

Jake is currently playing busted and more and more like a prop every week. When he starts playing like a ball playing backrower again I'm sure many will judge him on that.

You still haven't answered my initial surmising.

Big money props (of which we now have 3) don't win comps.

Big money spines win comps.

The point of NRL is to win trophies.

Some on here would lead you to believe it's to feel all warm and fuzzy about existing players.

Taupau is a top player. Not up for debate.

Taupau rips in every week. Not up for debate.

Taupau has been a great club man. Not up for debate.

Taupau's salary is the most expendable of our top six paid players and could be better used to balance our depth, sign positions of need, or retain some gun juniors. Yep pretty much.

At the end of the day would you rather have AFB Jake and a top 3 NRL hooker/#6 or AFB, Jake and Marty?

What would help our team more right now?
Just let it go mate.I was having the same arguments Friday.It appears many can’t distinguish the difference between bagging Taupau and what’s best for the team

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6