Do we let Taupau go?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Two strong go forward props are essential to a premiership winning side. They are the enforcers and without them you lack the go forward power. Consider Manly's premiership winning props

1972: O'Neill and Hamilton
1973 O'Neill and Hamilton
1976 Randall and Harvey
1978 Ian Thomson and Harvey
1987 Ward and Daley
1996 Carrol and Gillespie
2008 Kite, Perry, King
2011 Kite, Galuvao, King

AFB and Taupau are two of the best props in the game. We have some rising prop stars in the making but not yet ready. Its not the props where our problems lie.
Nobody,well I haven’t read them yet,is saying props are the problem,least of all Taupau but it’s purely a business decision.The prop depth is fine,the backline and 9 depth are far from fine and sacrifices need to be made.No club is buying out DCE’s contract or part of nor is there a cheaper alternative that’ll do the job.Taupau on the other hand,at current value is very enticing for another club and is replaceable

Two strong go forward props are essential to a premiership winning side. They are the enforcers and without them you lack the go forward power. Consider Manly's premiership winning props

1972: O'Neill and Hamilton
1973 O'Neill and Hamilton
1976 Randall and Harvey
1978 Ian Thomson and Harvey
1987 Ward and Daley
1996 Carrol and Gillespie
2008 Kite, Perry, King
2011 Kite, Galuvao, King

AFB and Taupau are two of the best props in the game. We have some rising prop stars in the making but not yet ready. Its not the props where our problems lie.
Fast backs are also essential to win a premiership as well
Fast backs cam break a close game with a blink of an eye
When you have the power up front and speed out wide .
You have a serious team that will do some damage

as said a thousand times,nobody is saying Taupau is the problem,it’s just that he’s the most expendable out of the players with any value.The team could win a premiership without Taupau,but they can’t win with the current backline and the only way to make the backline better is to find $$$ to improve it.

Sure but i disagree that freeing up martys money will improve the team enough to make us challenge due to our spine

Marty and cherry , hell yeah,
Marty like i said in the post, i understand that view considering our prop stocks but we need a spine , before outside backs.

I dont even know if suli can run , he is ignored by the spine and sirro He is very good but ignored. Twice this season he has got early ball

We will not improve our spine much with 700 k

If would be great if they were speedier They could race off at halftime and be first to the oranges. That would fix our woes

Unless turbo stays fit, plays fullback, second receiver, and continues to run from dummy half, smashing everybody that puts there nose through our line we wont win anything that matters regadless of where marty plays

If fainu returns he will essentially be our game manager or our number one focus in attack. If not we need a hooker that passes , has game, kicks and makes good decisions. These guys are not cheap

So untwist your knickers , take a breath and work out how much money it takes to buy a good hooker or 2 a good 6or 2 and someone to back them up and its not marty money

If we could get that fro 700 k , fair enough i stand corrected

Im not blown away by our backs, there not world beaters but they are under utilised and im unsure that our spine knows how to use them wether they are Vdubs or Ferraris

If our backs got stacks of ball and did nothing id lean your way.

Letting Go Marty might have the same affect letting go Gift. Maybe not as bad but we dont have as far to fall

Nobody,well I haven’t read them yet,is saying props are the problem,least of all Taupau but it’s purely a business decision.The prop depth is fine,the backline and 9 depth are far from fine and sacrifices need to be made.No club is buying out DCE’s contract or part of nor is there a cheaper alternative that’ll do the job.Taupau on the other hand,at current value is very enticing for another club and is replaceable
People will fail to the see the point if they dont believe in it.. just give up lol.. its like trying to convince the pope that an imaginary man in the clouds doesn't exist.

Fast backs are also essential to win a premiership as well
Fast backs cam break a close game with a blink of an eye
When you have the power up front and speed out wide .
You have a serious team that will do some damage

Not disputing that one Bozo and totally agree. I was just trying to impress that props help to set up the play for the backs to take advantage. Weak props and your team doesn't make effective ground and dominate the ruck.

AFB looked up to and followed Tapow. Now is a top level prop, Paseka is following Tapow example, becoming a great prop.
Why get rid of Marty when he is such an influence off the field to the young bucks?

Because our cap is ****ed. And out of the top 5 or 6 players at our club his position is least important and where we have most depth.

Put simply, we have to cull one of our top earners to actually build some decent depth in key positions and also hold onto some of our young potential superstars coming through.

Give me a top tier #9 or #6 over a high earning prop any day.

Not disputing that one Bozo and totally agree. I was just trying to impress that props help to set up the play for the backs to take advantage. Weak props and your team doesn't make effective ground and dominate the ruck.

Rarely do teams with millions invested in multiple props win the comp.

as said a thousand times,nobody is saying Taupau is the problem,it’s just that he’s the most expendable out of the players with any value.The team could win a premiership without Taupau,but they can’t win with the current backline and the only way to make the backline better is to find $$$ to improve it.

This sums it all up. If people can't comprehend this then there's no more to discuss.

I think some people here think we can just swap out one of our backs on minimum wage for someone like Steven Crighton or JAC on the same money... which is a silver bullet solution

Because our cap is ****ed. And out of the top 5 or 6 players at our club his position is least important and where we have most depth.

Put simply, we have to cull one of our top earners to actually build some decent depth in key positions and also hold onto some of our young potential superstars coming through.

Give me a top tier #9 or #6 over a high earning prop any day.
Not sure if your a troll or just really high.
The average salary under the cap is $333,000 Marty is on $600,000.
A top 6 is well over Marty's salary (maybe 1.5 X) and we would be down a top shelf prop.
Who was the last team to win a grandfinal without 2 good props?

A top 6 is well over Marty's salary (maybe 1.5 X) and we would be down a top shelf prop.
Depends on what you call “2 good props”
Would you say Jordan McLean,2017 and Matt Prior,2016,good Props?

Depends on what you call “2 good props”
Would you say Jordan McLean,2017 and Matt Prior,2016,good Props?

Also... Joe Galuvao was 33 when he won a comp with us in 2011, he had last played rep football 7 years before then.

But he played his part and we got the job done.

We save 220k from 2 minimum wage guys when the 30 is cut to 28. That makes Marty's 650k into 870k. Easily found money. Plenty of money for a VERY GOOD 7.

Marty is expendable when he is the top of our second tier earners and we have 7 other props.

This is a business and many here get their emotions twisted up with what needs to be done.

If I had my way, I would cut Tom, Jake, Walker and DCE freeing up almost $4M.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8