Do we have an attitude problem

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
IMO we are being found out in defence because we carry too many poor defenders in our side. It's doesnt matter how good you are with the ball you will get flogged haemorrhaging tries. With points homes momentum followed by big score lines. Poor defenders constantly missing one on one tackles deflates the enthusiam and resolve of the hard workers. First grade footballers should rarely miss makeable tackles.

IMO we are being found out in defence because we carry too many poor defenders in our side. It's doesnt matter how good you are with the ball you will get flogged haemorrhaging tries. With points homes momentum followed by big score lines. Poor defenders constantly missing one on one tackles deflates the enthusiam and resolve of the hard workers. First grade footballers should rarely miss makeable tackles.

Premierships are built on defence, the sides that are good at it " usually" win them.

Our 1995/97 sides were examples of two great defensive sides that didn't BUT you'd have to say this is the foundation of a great team.

With defence comes pressure , with defence comes frustration , with both frustration and pressure comes points.

And quite right our defence at times is pathetic!

In fairness it's difficult to tell at the best of times if TT is slurring or just speaking
This is TT the day after the session, bastards permed his hair!

7d3275f1-napoleon-quotes-list.jpg

I too am a little peeved with the way things are going lately and have some observations on the team in general.

Personally I think we have assembled a team of quite mediocre talent. I originally thought that we might be doing what the Brumbies (yeah I know rugger crap) did way back when they recruited the discarded from all the others and assembled a team that went on and entertained and dominated to some degree for several years. But, alas, this is far from what has happened here. We seem to have recruited very average players at best and they are performing as such.

1. Turbo Tom – nothing needs to be said really. The talent is obvious and does make the odd mistake/blunder but the effort, involvement and desire is going to take him into another stratosphere.
2. Mathew Wright – a solid fill-in winger/player – but that really is all. The fact he can kick goals (albeit quite hit and miss) is an added plus but really isn’t in the class of the wingers the sea eagles have had in the past and should be looking to in the future. I don’t see much improvement so probably seeing the best he has to offer. Maybe an option in centres ahead of Kelly who is a complete liability. Really missing Toufua.
3. Dylan Walker – I was quite excited to see him come the sea eagles but was completely bamboozled by the attempt to turn him into a 5/8. So, having him go back to the centres for I was again pretty excited. The problem is that you essentially have two very different people here. In attack he is awesome and really does some great hit ups out of our own half – but – there is a big part of this game called defence. His ability to continually rush up out of the line which creates attacking opportunities out of nothing for the opposition is wearing thin. His turnstiles defence is embarrassing. Delve into the missed tackle stats and we see Manly has two of the worst centre defenders in the game Walker (82 missed tackles) and Kelly (61). As a pair they are ranked #1 as the most missed tackles – just simply not good enough. I never see anyone saying boo about Walkers defence or lack thereof. I think he is a liability that we cannot afford – but then again…who can replace him???
4. Brian Kelly – A lot of people mention he’s young, learning blah blah…well so are a bunch of other dudes that are performing to very high standards at other clubs. Maybe needs a year or so playing in lower grades with the odd fill in game in ones but from what I have seen isn’t really ever going to go on with it. Manly has two worst defensive pairings of centres in the league and we wonder why so many points are being scored against us. I hear the Morris bros. maybe on the market J
5. Uate – happy here except needs a centre that can tackle and understand defensive patterns inside him.
6. Blake Green – Sorry not sold on this one. Seen some positive things and is reasonably solid but I don’t think he is the answer. My guess is we are stuck with this option for another year or so.
7. Cherry – Cherry is Cherry no real complaints but does need a better option at #6 for him to play his best.
8. Brenton Lawrence – loved him like a brother but lately is showing signs of (well I don’t know what really). Has been great in parts and usually offers some fantastic drive up the middle with his leg speed but also seems to have a knack of giving away penalties just when you don’t need it or coming up with some sort of mistake again at the wrong time. I just can’t put my finger on it but seems to need a change of environment perhaps which I guess he is getting next year.
9. Api – has grown on me and is really adding some great spark and is huge in defence. Punching above his weight so all positives moving forward.
10. Kapow – Good, happy no dramas. You know what you are gonna get with him.
11. Winterstein – Man… I am sooooo disappointed with Frank. Look at this bloke. He is so athletic looking – big, strong, a real athlete but does jack sh!t. No real impact in a game at all. Seen a couple glimmers of hope but overall… Phht so far. Need more involvement…need something please.
12. Shaun Lane – take 2 (ala Winterstein) 6ft 5inch athlete who is completely anonymous on the field…was he on the other day? Is he ever there …really? My god the size of him and there’s no anger, no passion, no will. Can someone please slap some mongrel into these dudes? Just sits out on the edge and runs his lines makes a couple tackles…good game…not.
13. Jake T – nothing to say…good as gold.
14. Lewis Brown – not fan in any way shape or form. I’ve seen people comment on his usefulness and quality …really… is that why he has been from club to club? Just don’t understand it. Fills in a number of rolls but essentially crap at all. How was the service/delivery out dummy half the other day…pooooor. Just doesn’t cut the mustard.
15. Perrett – just a fill in nothing more nothing less. At best a bench player (which he generally is) but doesn’t add much.
16. Finua Blake – I like him and he adds some great punch and go forward. Has some crap in his game overall he goes ok off the bench.
17. Darcy Lussick – I was happy he went to Parra and really peeved to see him back. Just a stupid player.

Surely with a side like this we should be millions under the salary cap as not many should or would command a great deal of coin. So I guess we are simply paying overs for the vast majority of our squad. We need a rebuild/cleanout simple as that. Most of these guys are not going to improve to any great extent. I know by seeing some comments from the fans on here that there is a lot of blind faith but I just don’t see it getting better with the quality of roster we have.

I too am a little peeved with the way things are going lately and have some observations on the team in general.

Personally I think we have assembled a team of quite mediocre talent. I originally thought that we might be doing what the Brumbies (yeah I know rugger crap) did way back when they recruited the discarded from all the others and assembled a team that went on and entertained and dominated to some degree for several years. But, alas, this is far from what has happened here. We seem to have recruited very average players at best and they are performing as such.

1. Turbo Tom – nothing needs to be said really. The talent is obvious and does make the odd mistake/blunder but the effort, involvement and desire is going to take him into another stratosphere.
2. Mathew Wright – a solid fill-in winger/player – but that really is all. The fact he can kick goals (albeit quite hit and miss) is an added plus but really isn’t in the class of the wingers the sea eagles have had in the past and should be looking to in the future. I don’t see much improvement so probably seeing the best he has to offer. Maybe an option in centres ahead of Kelly who is a complete liability. Really missing Toufua.
3. Dylan Walker – I was quite excited to see him come the sea eagles but was completely bamboozled by the attempt to turn him into a 5/8. So, having him go back to the centres for I was again pretty excited. The problem is that you essentially have two very different people here. In attack he is awesome and really does some great hit ups out of our own half – but – there is a big part of this game called defence. His ability to continually rush up out of the line which creates attacking opportunities out of nothing for the opposition is wearing thin. His turnstiles defence is embarrassing. Delve into the missed tackle stats and we see Manly has two of the worst centre defenders in the game Walker (82 missed tackles) and Kelly (61). As a pair they are ranked #1 as the most missed tackles – just simply not good enough. I never see anyone saying boo about Walkers defence or lack thereof. I think he is a liability that we cannot afford – but then again…who can replace him???
4. Brian Kelly – A lot of people mention he’s young, learning blah blah…well so are a bunch of other dudes that are performing to very high standards at other clubs. Maybe needs a year or so playing in lower grades with the odd fill in game in ones but from what I have seen isn’t really ever going to go on with it. Manly has two worst defensive pairings of centres in the league and we wonder why so many points are being scored against us. I hear the Morris bros. maybe on the market J
5. Uate – happy here except needs a centre that can tackle and understand defensive patterns inside him.
6. Blake Green – Sorry not sold on this one. Seen some positive things and is reasonably solid but I don’t think he is the answer. My guess is we are stuck with this option for another year or so.
7. Cherry – Cherry is Cherry no real complaints but does need a better option at #6 for him to play his best.
8. Brenton Lawrence – loved him like a brother but lately is showing signs of (well I don’t know what really). Has been great in parts and usually offers some fantastic drive up the middle with his leg speed but also seems to have a knack of giving away penalties just when you don’t need it or coming up with some sort of mistake again at the wrong time. I just can’t put my finger on it but seems to need a change of environment perhaps which I guess he is getting next year.
9. Api – has grown on me and is really adding some great spark and is huge in defence. Punching above his weight so all positives moving forward.
11. Winterstein – Man… I am sooooo disappointed with Frank. Look at this bloke. He is so athletic looking – big, strong, a real athlete but does jack sh!t. No real impact in a game at all. Seen a couple glimmers of hope but overall… Phht so far. Need more involvement…need something please.
12. Shaun Lane – take 2 (ala Winterstein) 6ft 5inch athlete who is completely anonymous on the field…was he on the other day? Is he ever there …really? My god the size of him and there’s no anger, no passion, no will. Can someone please slap some mongrel into these dudes? Just sits out on the edge and runs his lines makes a couple tackles…good game…not.
14. Lewis Brown – not fan in any way shape or form. I’ve seen people comment on his usefulness and quality …really… is that why he has been from club to club? Just don’t understand it. Fills in a number of rolls but essentially crap at all. How was the service/delivery out dummy half the other day…pooooor. Just doesn’t cut the mustard.
15. Perrett – just a fill in nothing more nothing less. At best a bench player (which he generally is) but doesn’t add much.
16. Finua Blake – I like him and he adds some great punch and go forward. Has some crap in his game overall he goes ok off the bench.
17. Darcy Lussick – I was happy he went to Parra and really peeved to see him back. Just a stupid player.

Surely with a side like this we should be millions under the salary cap as not many should or would command a great deal of coin. So I guess we are simply paying overs for the vast majority of our squad. We need a rebuild/cleanout simple as that. Most of these guys are not going to improve to any great extent. I know by seeing some comments from the fans on here that there is a lot of blind faith but I just don’t see it getting better with the quality of roster we have.
So a talent problem, not an attitude problem.

I always like to start the season with the belief that we are in it to win it but let's be realistic. We started 1.2 million behind the eightball plus let's not forget the loss of 600+ games of collective experience. Then throw in Myles who probably had another 250 games experience and minus another $500,000 in the salary cap. Then the loss of Jorge who I personally thought was a huge blow which in turn probably impacted on young Kelly. Then we lost Sironen (who was just starting to hit his straps) forced us to rely on Lane who I thought had been hot and cold in the reggies all season and here we are.
I'm not here making excuses but on the whole, I think we've had a pretty entertaining season considering the disruptions and the forced constraints. Maybe I've become a little too complacent in my older years but being in 8th position minus 1.7 million of talent in a rebuilding year sounds reasonably respectable to me.

Any one would think we are coming last and about to collect our first spoon. I'm as disappointed with the boys "attitude" the last month as the rest of you. But as a collective, turning on our own and saying that most of the team have no "talent" is just poor form. Do we support the Sea Eagles or not? The wheels may have fallen off but the same guys didn't have talent issues when we were 3rd a short time ago. Calm your farm.

With all due respects to your mate @nightster, me thinks its a furphy o_O He forgot to add it was his dream :yawn: and then he woke up :eek:

Appreciate you passing on info, but can't believe the Turbos would do that - or any of the players during a week of critical importance to the season :shake:

I agree with all of this. It feels like a very average and uninspired team. Cherry, tom t, Jake, Marty, Uate and Api are the only really good and somewhat consistent players that we have.
Some of the other new recruits looked promising but have fizzled out and become total duds lately.
Lane, winterstein wright, wheres the bloody effort?

Any one would think we are coming last and about to collect our first spoon. I'm as disappointed with the boys "attitude" the last month as the rest of you. But as a collective, turning on our own and saying that most of the team have no "talent" is just poor form. Do we support the Sea Eagles or not? The wheels may have fallen off but the same guys didn't have talent issues when we were 3rd a short time ago. Calm your farm.
We do support our Sea eagles and always will.
We are also Manly supporters who passionately support the team that is the most succesSfull team in the moDern era and we have very high expectations !!!
We dont approve or accept mediocre .
THIS MENTALITY OF DON'T WORRY WE ARE NOT COMING LAST AND WE WILL AVOID THE WOODEN SPOON IS A NORTH SYDNEY MENTALITY AND WE KNOW HOW MUCH SUCCESS THEY HAD WITH THAT WAY OF THINKING .
WwDa_FY-_400x400.jpg

With all due respects to your mate @nightster, me thinks its a furphy o_O He forgot to add it was his dream :yawn: and then he woke up :eek:

Appreciate you passing on info, but can't believe the Turbos would do that - or any of the players during a week of critical importance to the season :shake:

I was just told it was last week maybe Thursday and that it happened ... just relaying .... no dream ... possibly a nightmare

They don't have an attitude problem.
My son and I had the privilege of watching them train today from the Sea Eagles marquee tent. The training went for about 2 hours. They looked to be thoroughly enjoying each other's company and trained hard. Spoke to Curtis he said can't wait to get out and play. Said he is sick of being on the sidelines.... they all trained together I did not see anyone sway away from the group.

I was just told it was last week maybe Thursday and that it happened ... just relaying .... no dream ... possibly a nightmare
I believe you 100% nightster. You're one of the more reliable and balanced posters.

I believe you 100% nightster. You're one of the more reliable and balanced posters.
Thanks I appreciate the trust ... but I'm just relating a story told to me ..... its quite possible that there is some exaggeration however the source is usually very reliable ...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8