Did you guys watch the world sevens RU

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I’m not sure that’s the point @Fluffy was making - sure, these guys might be hard to tackle, but what’s the use if they can’t make a tackle either? So they run away from opposition defenders and score a few points, then the opposition just runs straight over the top of them to score a few in return...kinda pointless, TBH.

Rugby 7s is great to watch, but there’s a reason the teams are full of speedy little whippets - they’re not big enough, robust enough, or defensively good enough to make it in the full-size game. It’s like u/20s vs NRL players - quick and flashy, but the defence is atrocious.

But... speed kills, haven't you heard... repeatedly...

We all are making different points on here and my point is speed kills at every level of the game

If speed was so singularly important then why didn't we retain Tom Wright, Scott Donald or Michael Oldfield then? All faster than Brett Stewart IIRC.

Reason is that great speed is useful but not more important in the modern game than:
- Size/strength/power
- Defensive skills
- Mobility
- Passing, timing and football smarts

On the other hand... if there is a player who is great in all of those areas then the club should get on the phone right away.

If speed was so singularly important then why didn't we retain Tom Wright, Scott Donald or Michael Oldfield then? All faster than Brett Stewart IIRC.

Reason is that great speed is useful but not more important in the modern game than:
- Size/strength/power
- Defensive skills
- Mobility
- Passing, timing and football smarts

On the other hand... if there is a player who is great in all of those areas then the club should get on the phone right away.
This is what page I am on ....
You have 2 players with equal ability ie; size , power , defensive skills , mobility smart etc .....etc

The player with SUPERIOR SPEED will be THE SUPERIOR PLAYER .

The moral of the story feathered friend ....
When a player is faster that you then all things are not equal on the field
6a0120a69a4ad9970c01a511447363970c.png

This is what page I am on ....
You have 2 players with equal ability ie; size , power , defensive skills , mobility smart etc .....etc

The player with SUPERIOR SPEED will be THE SUPERIOR PLAYER .

The moral of the story feathered friend ....
When a player is faster that you then all things are not equal on the field
View attachment 10577

IF you have 2 players with all that equal sure

but in reality 99.99% of the rugby 7's are left for dead in everything but speed by the under 7's rugby league players.

As the mighty Bozo says Defence wins premierships!

Ken Irvine used to go alright. Lightening speed was his only weapon.
Never seen Irvine play and realize he was a great finisher, but the job of a winger was far different then....speed and finishing was all that was needed.
I feel the trend of wingers has shifted from the old days and starting your sets well, is every bit as important as finishing off a movement.
The modern game winger needs to do the ugly hit ups from deep their own end and the Cotric, Rapana types are the new breed for this.
Addo - Carr appears a thin modern winger, but has that extra power for his size, with enough evasive ability to survive and to compensate his weight.

IF you have 2 players with all that equal sure

but in reality 99.99% of the rugby 7's are left for dead in everything but speed by the under 7's rugby league players.

As the mighty Bozo says Defence wins premierships!
Defence does win premierships but you cant tackle what you cant catch so you must have players with speed to match ;)

A player with speed can't do any damage if he isn't given space. The modern game is more and more about meticulous teamwork to create field position and attacking opportunities. Fact is, the best players in the game are not the fastest, except maybe between the ears.
Addo-Carr was just as fast at the Tigers but was no world beater simply because they couldn't manoeuvre him into space.

A player with speed can't do any damage if he isn't given space. The modern game is more and more about meticulous teamwork to create field position and attacking opportunities. Fact is, the best players in the game are not the fastest, except maybe between the ears.
Addo-Carr was just as fast at the Tigers but was no world beater simply because they couldn't manoeuvre him into space.
Totally disagree feathered friend .
A player with speed can break a game on their own . They are called game breakers . Once in the clear its all over red rover
Breaks are made in every modern game but not all breaks are made into tries . There are players that make a break with footwork and then get run down and there are players that make the same break and are in for a try without a hand being laid on them leaving the defence for dead as speed does kill in the modern game and any game ,
download.png

Speed is essential in the modern game. All you have to do is look at the sides at the top of the comp and they have several speedsters. Then look at Manly, Canterbury, Parramatta etc last year. Pedestrian. Sure defence and attacking strategies are essential, but a few players like Brett Stewart, Robertson, DCE, Menzies etc are the difference between solid attacking/defensive sides and sides that win premierships. The X factor player with pace is often the difference between winning and losing against top competition

Speed is essential in the modern game. All you have to do is look at the sides at the top of the comp and they have several speedsters. Then look at Manly, Canterbury, Parramatta etc last year. Pedestrian. Sure defence and attacking strategies are essential, but a few players like Brett Stewart, Robertson, DCE, Menzies etc are the difference between solid attacking/defensive sides and sides that win premierships. The X factor player with pace is often the difference between winning and losing against top competition

Forget the modern game ... Speed has been a factor since 1908 ..... but never at the expense of someone that can play football .. and you only have to look at the sides at the top of the comp to see they have good forward packs .....

The genuine footballer with "X factor" pace is a rare animal .... in any season you are lucky if there are 5 across all teams ..... finding one is not as easy as just saying .. let's get one ...

Forget the modern game ... Speed has been a factor since 1908 ..... but never at the expense of someone that can play football .. and you only have to look at the sides at the top of the comp to see they have good forward packs .....

The genuine footballer with "X factor" pace is a rare animal .... in any season you are lucky if there are 5 across all teams ..... finding one is not as easy as just saying .. let's get one ...

I think potentially we have four, DCE, TT, Albert Hoppa and Josh Schuster ( I did say potentially). Walker could have been one if he kept his head on straight. I think Tom Wright had it if we had persevered with him, Anderson may come close but needs more involvement and I'm yet to see Funa or Garrick in action in firsts.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6