DES WHO?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Let's not ignore the mess Seibold inherited. We lost 7 in a row.. Des couldn't unite them. We needed a change. Seibold has re united them with all the off season training challenges were doing. Family bbqs... lunchea with small groups with different players... training with AFL club.. camping etc etc. Dessie would have done the same thing again. The squad needed a change. Regardless of the results going forward you can see the players are happier and reunited.
Some really good points here.

I think Des was generally beloved by the players. Seen as a father figure type of guy. Very loyal and always the first there when someone like Walker messed up.

However, while I don't think he ever "lost the dressing room" the players clearly didn't respond at times under him. The players effectively gave up in both 2020 and 2022 at the back end of the season. While the Pride-gate wasn't his fault, he wasn't able to get the players on the same page after this. Maybe thqt would have happened under most other coaches. Who knows. But either way the team needed a new voice and a fresh start.

I was one of the loudest voices for change ... not because of any anti Dessie feelings, or politics, or Rainbow gate or results ...

It was because we were a very, very poorly coached football team ....

When you have one of the world's best half backs running around in circles, threatening to disappear up his own orifice, week after week ... only a numbnut wouldn't recognise that our structures and patterns were non existent ..

We were unfit ... and clueless ... the hard yards hadn't been done on the training paddock in fitness or drilling structures ...

I was one of the loudest voices for change ... not because of any anti Dessie feelings, or politics, or Rainbow gate or results ...

When you have one of the world's best half backs running around in circles, threatening to disappear up his own orifice, week after week ... only a numbnut wouldn't recognise that our structures and patterns were non existent ..

We were unfit ... and clueless ... the hard yards hadn't been done on the training paddock in fitness or drilling structures ...
And look at the difference, in just one game !!!

We were unfit ... and clueless ... the hard yards hadn't been done on the training paddock in fitness or drilling structures
I think the untimely passing of Keith Titmuss had a lasting impact on Donny Singe and how hard the players trained. I think the overall fitness of the squad has improved significantly this season. Like Des it was also time for Donny to move on.

Some really good points here.

I think Des was generally beloved by the players. Seen as a father figure type of guy. Very loyal and always the first there when someone like Walker messed up.

However, while I don't think he ever "lost the dressing room" the players clearly didn't respond at times under him. The players effectively gave up in both 2020 and 2022 at the back end of the season. While the Pride-gate wasn't his fault, he wasn't able to get the players on the same page after this. Maybe thqt would have happened under most other coaches. Who knows. But either way the team needed a new voice and a fresh start.
Des had 2 weaknesses imo, both of which have only become weaknesses in the modern game.
1) NRL teams these days now require a high quality 'team' of coaches, as opposed to one coach and a couple of blokes who simply run drills according to this coach's wishes. Des quite clearly needed proper assistance, and his inability to delegate and relinquish control obviously kept his team at a technical disadvantage.
2) Des' old school style re man management worked very well with the previous generation, whom he related to, but unfortunately these Gen Zs are a different breed of person who do not respond to his manner - they require validation and inclusivity to be motivated, and that just ain't Des' way

What Des did from 2004 was extraordinary, but the times have changed. I just hope everyone remembers him with respect and gratitude

Des had 2 weaknesses imo, both of which have only become weaknesses in the modern game.
1) NRL teams these days now require a high quality 'team' of coaches, as opposed to one coach and a couple of blokes who simply run drills according to this coach's wishes. Des quite clearly needed proper assistance, and his inability to delegate and relinquish control obviously kept his team at a technical disadvantage.
2) Des' old school style re man management worked very well with the previous generation, whom he related to, but unfortunately these Gen Zs are a different breed of person who do not respond to his manner - they require validation and inclusivity to be motivated, and that just ain't Des' way

What Des did from 2004 was extraordinary, but the times have changed. I just hope everyone remembers him with respect and gratitude
Spot on.

I am grateful for what Des did.. but thats in the past. Long time ago in fact. Just the way he moved on (even quicker back then).. so have we.

Of course , from 2004-2011 the man is a legend , no one can argue against that.

But that’s 20 years ago AND your point 2 is very accurate.

We were going no where , we needed a change, and from what I’ve seen to
date ( albeit early days ) that change has been very positive.

Did you see all the teams coaches boxes this weekend? If you don't have 8 blokes squeezing into a shoebox with a window, you're not even trying.

Let's not ignore the mess Seibold inherited. We lost 7 in a row.. Des couldn't unite them. We needed a change. Seibold has re united them with all the off season training challenges were doing. Family bbqs... lunchea with small groups with different players... training with AFL club.. camping etc etc. Dessie would have done the same thing again. The squad needed a change. Regardless of the results going forward you can see the players are happier and reunited.
Oh yeah definitely understand that perspective and change was needed (eg assistants, or perhaps the whole coaching environment)

I was more referring to the ones that attribute the issues of 2022 solely to des.

I think the untimely passing of Keith Titmuss had a lasting impact on Donny Singe and how hard the players trained. I think the overall fitness of the squad has improved significantly this season. Like Des it was also time for Donny to move on.
That's a very good point. I can't imagine Donny would've had the stomach to push the squad quite as hard after that. We were definitely an uncharacteristically unfit side (by Donny's standards) the last couple of years.

An almost symbiotic relationship has developed between Manly and Canterbury. They disappointingly stole Des Hasler in 2011, now the man he displaced there, Jim Dymock, is an assistant coach at Manly.

Meanwhile, Hasler in his last stint as Manly coach had Chad Randall as an assistant. Randall is now an assistant coach at Canterbury.

Our other assistant coach, Shane Flanagan, has his son playing at Canterbury.

Then there is the Belrose junior - Jacob Preston - who made his FG debut on the weekend, for Canterbury against Manly.

Interrelationships ‘all over the park.’

An almost symbiotic relationship has developed between Manly and Canterbury. They disappointingly stole Des Hasler in 2011, now the man he displaced there, Jim Dymock, is an assistant coach at Manly.

Meanwhile, Hasler in his last stint as Manly coach had Chad Randall as an assistant. Randall is now an assistant coach at Canterbury.

Then there is the Belrose junior - Jacob Preston - who made his FG debut on the weekend, for Canterbury against Manly.

They also thought TBaz was the next super coach shortly after his reign with us lol. And the Dogs have equally won 8 premierships. They are like our jealous older sibling

Both struck by the curse of TBaz. I think this goes back to the Arko Bullfrog days where there was a gentleman’s agreement not to poach each other.

I personally gave up on that in late September 1995.

Did you see all the teams coaches boxes this weekend? If you don't have 8 blokes squeezing into a shoebox with a window, you're not even trying.
Not necessarily all blokes. I think it might have been either the Tigers or Cowboys coaching box there was an absolutely stunning looking lady in there I think doing stats.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4