DES WHO?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I seriously doubt that he was able to manage the salary cap at the dogs especially, I remember reading after his inglorious exit from Belmore that their cap was fckd and they would be unable to purchase quality stock until after the 2021 season, what enabled him to build and maintain a dynasty is the very thing that eventually brought him undone
At that time Des was second only to Bellamy as far as consistency of deep finals runs. He had a plan but the higher ups at the dogs disagreed with it. We'll never know how his plan would've played out because they decided to cut bait and endure 5 years of contending for wooden spoons in order to change direction. Maybe they were right but they unfairly scapegoated Des because he wasn't allowed to see his plan through.

Des’ first stint as coach for Manly he was a great innovator. When he returned I commented at the time that the game had moved on but I didn’t think he had kept up with the changes. I still believe that. Thanks for the memories but hopefully we are moving along with the new game.

On thing I was pleasantly surprised with yesterday was that we were moving up in defence, something that was def not happening under Des the last few years

I seriously doubt that he was able to manage the salary cap at the dogs especially, I remember reading after his inglorious exit from Belmore that their cap was fckd and they would be unable to purchase quality stock until after the 2021 season, what enabled him to build and maintain a dynasty is the very thing that eventually brought him undone
That was complete fantasy propagated by those in charge at the time to wash all responsibility from their grubby paws.

Most at the time believed it but time showed it was all Bull ****. The way they treated their coach after Des was shocking.

Des created a bloody good sIde that just missed at least 1 Premiership possibly 2. The Rabbits were destined to win that first one and the Storm were just too good in the second.

Final point to that was Des was stripped of his power when the new powers took over at belmore around 2016. Fact.

Could see these types of posts coming a mile away. So far it's round one.
1. Attack resembeled 2021. Style, squad much the same. Great.​
2. Our defence was improved on 2022's. Great. Was it expected? Yes, trbo is back directing the line and the club environment should be refreshed after a toxic 2022 period.​

Now imagine Des got the extra year w/ Seibold as assistant. Imagine trbo stayed fit for the entire year and the players stayed onside with eachother. Would we expect anything different?

Personally, i'd expect our attack to return to 2021 status and our defence to improve. A.k.a No.

Sure, it's fair to say we were due a new coach because the environment soured (for a host of reasons). But to say that we'd be any different in that Rd one game w/ or w/o Des is pretty baseless given nothing really looked different except for effort in defence and Keppie @ lock (good).

I just don't see a reason to try rewrite history and trash a club legend like Des. He is a proven coach whether you like it or not. In terms of defence, his sides historically were known for their defencive resilience. I don't think the players fully bought into that here.

The 21 man squad looks the same as last year but is fit, and the stale players that we moved on were moved on by Des anyways. 2023 improvement was always in the cards and expected by Manly fans on the condition Trbo stayed on the field and most of the squad stayed fit. Now we also have new assistant coaches/trainers which was always going to be a huge help (but even Des conceded he'd let this happen).

If the squad stays fit they should kick off from where 2021 ended, that is and was the expectation. But equally, if 2022's handicaps were placed on us again in 23' there'd be little Seibold and Flannagan, or Bellamy, or Wayne or Des could do.

That was complete fantasy propagated by those in charge at the time to wash all responsibility from their grubby paws.

Most at the time believed it but time showed it was all Bull ****. The way they treated their coach after Des was shocking.

Des created a bloody good sIde that just missed at least 1 Premiership possibly 2. The Rabbits were destined to win that first one and the Storm were just too good in the second.

Final point to that was Des was stripped of his power when the new powers took over at belmore around 2016. Fact.
Only repeating what I read at the time EOL, I have no knowledge of the internal goings on at the Bulldogs or any other club for that matter, all I know is what I read or hear including conversations on the dogs forum, whatever the reasons for Hasler walking out on the Eagles originally, like thousands of Eagles supporters I was pissed at his timing, that he would take the wind out of our sails so soon after our grand final victory was a slap in the face of everyone, the club, the players and the fans deserved better. I acknowledge that we owe Hasler a debt of gratitude for turning us around after the Northern Eagles embarrassment but his second coming has been less than inspiring, his reluctance to elevate youth and to persevere with players that constantly failed to rise to the level expected of them had taken us to the level of the bottom teams, it became so bad that Silvertailers would get excited if the prospect of finishing in the top eight looked a possibility, what an embarrassment. I've personally got nothing against Hasler as a human but his recent involvement in our club was clearly a failure and anyone who thinks that moving him on was wrong have lost sight of what the team is all about and imo are not Manly supporters but rather they are Hasler supporters, to me the team comes first and daylight second

Reading h2727’s post, I think there is one very big difference, the playing group now seem to be happy, enjoying themselves and their footy.

I think if Des was to have stayed for the extra year, things would be very different.

All things aside, Des was intense and very stuck in his ways, what’s happening now is very different and you can see how the group is responding.

Where off to a positive start, can’t ask for much more than that, who knows how far we can go this year, a happy squad may just surprise.

Only repeating what I read at the time EOL, I have no knowledge of the internal goings on at the Bulldogs or any other club for that matter, all I know is what I read or hear including conversations on the dogs forum, whatever the reasons for Hasler walking out on the Eagles originally, like thousands of Eagles supporters I was pissed at his timing, that he would take the wind out of our sails so soon after our grand final victory was a slap in the face of everyone, the club, the players and the fans deserved better. I acknowledge that we owe Hasler a debt of gratitude for turning us around after the Northern Eagles embarrassment but his second coming has been less than inspiring, his reluctance to elevate youth and to persevere with players that constantly failed to rise to the level expected of them had taken us to the level of the bottom teams, it became so bad that Silvertailers would get excited if the prospect of finishing in the top eight looked a possibility, what an embarrassment. I've personally got nothing against Hasler as a human but his recent involvement in our club was clearly a failure and anyone who thinks that moving him on was wrong have lost sight of what the team is all about and imo are not Manly supporters but rather they are Hasler supporters, to me the team comes first and daylight second
I was with you till the last bit but obv that's your opinion.

Haslers second stint was a lot better than the bloke he replaced don't you agree so by that metric it must have been a success?

Took the side that almost got the spoon in 2018 and guided them to 6th even without Tommy at the business end.

2020 was covid (remember that) and when Vball was introduced after the shut-down we just didn't adapt. Again Tom injured for large part.

2021 was some of the best football ever seen IMHO and we were unlucky not to make a GF had the bounce of the ball go our way early on.

2022 oh look Tommy gone again. Side adapted and mid year played some great gritty football before the rainbow saga destroyed the season. Hardly Des's fault?

End of the day he's gone and we have some new guys that have taken us to first on the table after........round 1....... I'm backing Seibs and Flanno to take us to a top 4 finish this year if the side stays fit. I would have backed Des to do the same had he still been here and the players stayed fit.

So I guess if not winning a premiership is failure then yes. Des was a failure.

Des was like bozo with his players. Complete trust at times. In superleague ridgey was not easy to handle. Bozo let him commute between brookie and nz becuase it was good for manly

dessie gave players the same respect but ultimately it wasnt paid back in full.

i think the coaches contract based on performance cost manly long term planning , succession and des his job. The lack of trust by-leadership hurt us also

while jersey gate hurt the team factions , des having to carry the load and ultimately pushing back at penn and locking him out of the changeroom probably had just as much impact on the teams finish as the jersey saga

All tenures come to an end. I was most unimpressed with Des during interviews the last few years and at times he was inappropriately dismissive and rude. Nothing clever about that. I was particularly unhappy with selections and our lack of structure and the lack of grit in many of our performances well before jersey gate in 2022. Our start to the season was awful. Curiously with the the playing group together and galvanised and after working their guts out in the pre season they come out firing. It doesn’t matter who they played against they fired. Incidentally they lead a near full strength Roosters side without Turbo by 26 zip. So I really like what I see in 2023. If they can produce this level of energy and effort consistently week in and week out they are well and truly in the hunt. Time will tell.

Could see these types of posts coming a mile away. So far it's round one.
1. Attack resembeled 2021. Style, squad much the same. Great.​
2. Our defence was improved on 2022's. Great. Was it expected? Yes, trbo is back directing the line and the club environment should be refreshed after a toxic 2022 period.​

Now imagine Des got the extra year w/ Seibold as assistant. Imagine trbo stayed fit for the entire year and the players stayed onside with eachother. Would we expect anything different?

Personally, i'd expect our attack to return to 2021 status and our defence to improve. A.k.a No.

Sure, it's fair to say we were due a new coach because the environment soured (for a host of reasons). But to say that we'd be any different in that Rd one game w/ or w/o Des is pretty baseless given nothing really looked different except for effort in defence and Keppie @ lock (good).

I just don't see a reason to try rewrite history and trash a club legend like Des. He is a proven coach whether you like it or not. In terms of defence, his sides historically were known for their defencive resilience. I don't think the players fully bought into that here.

The 21 man squad looks the same as last year but is fit, and the stale players that we moved on were moved on by Des anyways. 2023 improvement was always in the cards and expected by Manly fans on the condition Trbo stayed on the field and most of the squad stayed fit. Now we also have new assistant coaches/trainers which was always going to be a huge help (but even Des conceded he'd let this happen).

If the squad stays fit they should kick off from where 2021 ended, that is and was the expectation. But equally, if 2022's handicaps were placed on us again in 23' there'd be little Seibold and Flannagan, or Bellamy, or Wayne or Des could do.
Let's not ignore the mess Seibold inherited. We lost 7 in a row.. Des couldn't unite them. We needed a change. Seibold has re united them with all the off season training challenges were doing. Family bbqs... lunchea with small groups with different players... training with AFL club.. camping etc etc. Dessie would have done the same thing again. The squad needed a change. Regardless of the results going forward you can see the players are happier and reunited.

I think it really comes down to this.

If you are a Dessie Fan Boy you think he was hard done by and is the greatest coach in the history of the club , and absolutely nothing anyone else says is going to change that opinion.

And if you not , you have embraced the new beginnings , shouted hallelujah in seeing the turnaround in the trials and round 1 and have moved on.

This thread could go forever , and that won’t change.

I think it really comes down to this.

If you are a Dessie Fan Boy you think he was hard done by and is the greatest coach in the history of the club , and absolutely nothing anyone else says is going to change that opinion.

And if you not , you have embraced the new beginnings , shouted hallelujah in seeing the turnaround in the trials and round 1 and have moved on.

This thread could go forever , and that won’t change.
Nah, it doesn’t have to be an either/or situation, plenty on here have conceded Des made mistakes & wasn’t perfect while still respecting him.

I was with you till the last bit but obv that's your opinion.

Haslers second stint was a lot better than the bloke he replaced don't you agree so by that metric it must have been a success?

Took the side that almost got the spoon in 2018 and guided them to 6th even without Tommy at the business end.

2020 was covid (remember that) and when Vball was introduced after the shut-down we just didn't adapt. Again Tom injured for large part.

2021 was some of the best football ever seen IMHO and we were unlucky not to make a GF had the bounce of the ball go our way early on.

2022 oh look Tommy gone again. Side adapted and mid year played some great gritty football before the rainbow saga destroyed the season. Hardly Des's fault?

End of the day he's gone and we have some new guys that have taken us to first on the table after........round 1....... I'm backing Seibs and Flanno to take us to a top 4 finish this year if the side stays fit. I would have backed Des to do the same had he still been here and the players stayed fit.

So I guess if not winning a premiership is failure then yes. Des was a failure.
That's what's good about a democracy EOL, everyone is entitled to have their own opinion and debate is healthy as long as it doesn't degrade into disrespect, I read and digest everything I read on this forum, I mostly respect the views of everyone here regardless of whether I agree or not because at the end of the day we're all on here because of our passion for the Eagles, with the exception of the odd troll, anyway I know everyone's heart is in the right place otherwise no one would bother to post comment, I'm sure we're all hoping for a successful season, GO MANLY

That’s in fact me, respect for him as a player and to the GF of 2011.

Then none whatsoever after that.

BUT I did support him in his return , for a while.
Yep, I appreciate that you’ve also had more interaction with Des than most of us & therefore have based some of your opinion on your personal experiences.

I also remember you saying you would support Des on his second stint & definitely saw that from you too.

I was just making the point that it’s not a binary situation, where you’re either in one camp (Des fanboys) or the other (Des haters).

Re-reading your post, you may have been making that very point.

Anyway, it’s no big deal & all is good, we’re all here to show our support for Manly 👍

FWIW, I’m not a Dessie fanboy BUT I think he was hard done by by the club & is one of Manly’s best coaches AND I think his innate stubbornness & control freakism (as well as ego-wrestling with Penn) led us to the atrocity that was last season SO I for one, welcome our new OVERLORDS & hope they bring the WINDS OF CHANGE (insert Scorpions hit here) needed to get us back on the right track.

Its one win people. If we lose our next 9 everyone will be crying out for Dessie to come back!
Ditto , if we win say 5 or 6 of the next 9 we’ll be saying “ best move we’ve ever made “.

Des will never return , the bridges have been burnt ( on both sides ).

In relation to the “ it’s one win “ , you are dead right , but after 7 deplorable losses let’s at least celebrate it whilst we can.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8