Des out coached by Fitzgibbon tonight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

mosto

I have a well known member
Premium Member
As to the whole, Des gets out coached by top 4 (or top 5 as of tonight that I read elsewhere), what do we do?

Which coach do we realistically bring in that is obviously better? The next big coaching prospect was supposedly Barrett, we saw how that went.

Des is one of the games top coaches. Not without his flaws, but I’d say top 5.

Ryan

Journey Man
Seems to be when we're losing it's because Des has been outcoached & when we're winning it's because the other team have put the cue in the rack.

Some people just like to look at everything negatively, I suppose.

Question: Do you think The Sharks played with the same energy and intensity in both halves? If you do, that's cool. Happens in almost every sport. Teams who get away to massive starts / leads lose the vigor of the game.

There WERE good signs. Particularly Koula again (3rd straight week). The fact we were literally down to 0 on the bench. The ref riding our arses again.

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
There is no way after 7 rounds Fitzy can be classed as a top coach. He's done a great job so far with good recruitment but he's a long way from being a top coach.
The team just didn't show up in that first half. We dominated the second.
Personally I think Fitzy has been a great coach and player since day 1... the bloke was the 5th best player in his high school team yet he won premierships, represented his state, his country and is the highest scoring forward in history... plus his dad was a great coach and the most influential bloke in the NRL retained him as his defensive coach for ages (where he won more premierships)...
Bennett, Bellamy, Robinson and Cleary have blown us off the park in the first half hour of our games in the last 2 years... there is obviously some structural defensive issues that these blokes are identifying and taking advantage of...

Eagle 1

First Grader
Talaki destroyed our right side all by himself in one half of footy, no coach plan needed here. To be fair to Harper Talaki was given early ball in space, any opposing centre would of been struggling to contain him on what I saw tonight. Was hoping Des would of swapped over Parker onto Talaki and Harper onto Ramien after the 2nd try. If we had kept Talaki quite midway through 1st half, who knows ?. I've been a supporter of Harper on here, but gota say it's Koulas spot to lose now. Great 2nd half, considering we were dropping like fly's. Souths is going to be a big ask next week, in light of all the injuries we've picked up.

XV-1

First Grader
As to the whole, Des gets out coached by top 4 (or top 5 as of tonight that I read elsewhere), what do we do?

Which coach do we realistically bring in that is obviously better? The next big coaching prospect was supposedly Barrett, we saw how that went.

Des is one of the games top coaches. Not without his flaws, but I’d say top 5.

We all agree Des is one of the best coaches.
He needs to change some of his coaching methods, selections and methodology to allow us to beat the top 4 sides. If Bellamy and Robinson can do it, so can Des.

47MVEagle

Bencher
Question: Do you think The Sharks played with the same energy and intensity in both halves? If you do, that's cool. Happens in almost every sport. Teams who get away to massive starts / leads lose the vigor of the game.

There WERE good signs. Particularly Koula again (3rd straight week). The fact we were literally down to 0 on the bench. The ref riding our arses again.
Answer: no they did not. Perhaps they ran out of gas after the first half, perhaps our defence stopped them making any further breaks, but they did not simply put the cue in the rack. If that was the case they would have put at least one more try on to shut down our comeback.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
His track record prior to The Sharks was exemplary. He has fantastic pedigree, and knows the modern changing game.

I'm not as high on that second half as some, Sharks knew they had it won, and took the foot off the pedal.
Show me where he's been head coach again please? Did I miss something....

It was all the sharks doing the second half yeah? What a load of.........

When you admitted the other day to being a Bears supporter and only coming over to the northern eagles out of necessity should have got the bells ringing.

You really do just like taking the pee for fun dont you.....

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
All 6 tries from the Sharks went through Harper's edge. That's how much of an impact one player can have.
In many of them the die was cast before he got to Harper. Not that I was impressed by Harper or Saab tonight.
To be fair to Harper Talaki was given early ball in space, any opposing centre would of been struggling to contain him on what I saw tonight.
YEs I agree with this, the last step in the process was Talakai running riot and harper sprawled on the ground but the damage was largely in the set-up.

CRPSI eagle

Reserve Grader
I take nothing out of that second half either. The Sharks put their cue's in the wrack, simple as that. We were summarily flogged yet again by another top 4 team.

Des was STUPID enough to select Harper over Koula this week, and for this alone, someone has to question his abilities as a coach. Everybody was already saying what a little powerhouse Talakai was before the game. Do people remember how Olam destroyed Harper. How Kikau destroyed Harper. Now he's been obliterated by Talakai.

It's not smart coaching, It's dumb.

Statistically, the Sharks edges score almost more points than any other team. What does Des suggest? A compressed defense, which allows them more time, and gives them more room / space.

That's not smart coaching. It's dumb.

One thing about The Sharks, is they are huge in the middle size wise. What's Des response? Pull our utility off the bench in Lawton, who's been one of the rare bits of spark for us from dummy half, with his diminutive size and agility, and puts him in the backrow ! What - The - **** !

Even IF Harper has the photo's of Des shagging that goat, if he didn't want to replace him, swap him over with Parker who was being slightly better defensively. At LEAST do that. But re-active, slow mo Des once again, did nothing until the game was ****ing lost.

It's been two years since Des coached a team that could beat another top 4 team in this league. He needs a coaching director. He's out of touch, slow in his application, doesn't get his players up and ready for important games.

People can defend him all they like. Those same people better start get used to being almost rans (at best) - because Des is mediocre.
Extremely Dumb Coaching,
Saab also rubbish and should not be in our 17 end story!

Eagle 1

First Grader
@maxta come on mate. The Sharks put their cue's in the wrack, you know that, right? The difference between their first half energy and second half was oranges and farking south east asian Carambola !
Why would they put the cue in the rack Ryan, when the opposition, us, were scoring in nearly every play in the 2nd half. No team puts the cue in the rack for 40mins !!...just think about it.

mosto

I have a well known member
Premium Member
We all agree Des is one of the best coaches.
He needs to change some of his coaching methods, selections and methodology to allow us to beat the top 4 sides. If Bellamy and Robinson can do it, so can Des.
I do agree with you mate, and I have the belief he will.

Leader of the Flock

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Will not win a comp with the 2 centres we play week in week out, Harper should of been hooked in the first 15......don't worry about who we buy next, we need 2 centres, quality centres.Centres who can run and tackle
I have to disagree Frogz we probably already have them, I think young Tolu (Pepsi) Koula just proved in the second half that he is a quality center, as he showed that he can both run and tackle, he handled a much bigger man quite well. I’m not sure on whether his best position is center but I reckon it’ll do to start him off as a run on player.

Also, Christian (Tippytoes) Tuipulotu, looked pretty good tonight out there on Sanga’s left wing; when Tommy comes back, I’d be giving him a run at left center, not that Brad Parker is travelling badly but I feel that the kid has a bit more potential.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Eagle 1

First Grader
In many of them the die was cast before he got to Harper. Not that I was impressed by Harper or Saab tonight.

YEs I agree with this, the last step in the process was Talakai running riot and harper sprawled on the ground but the damage was largely in the set-up.
That's the way I saw it also, the build up wasn't stopped at the bud, hence, Harper was left totally exposed.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 5 6 47 12