DCE to Broncos!/?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stevo

First Grader
Scott Prince and Peter Wallace have reportedly been told by Brisbane that their services are not required next season.

That should get the DCE to Broncos 2014 rumors flowing!

Up here they've been linked to Barba, Hunt and Smith -
Smith is getting offered $1.5 million a season,
Barba I'd imagine won't be cheap ie Payout the Dogs contract and also pay him.
Hunt will only come back if the money is huge

They've also signed up there u20 halfback long term.

With all the junior talent they've had right under their noses for years it's unbelievable they've got to look to other clubs for signings at all. Their recruitment and retention policy is right down there with the Eels.

The broncos knew about DCE long before he came to Manly.

They said that he wasn't good enough then so why would he go back to a club that didn't want him when Manly have made him the player that he is today.

Word is that James O'Connor and Karmichael Hunt might be heading to the broncos next year.

O'Connor is the most despised player in rugby union and no super 15 club wants him other than western force who he doesn't want to go back to.

Moondog said:
With all the junior talent they've had right under their noses for years it's unbelievable they've got to look to other clubs for signings at all. Their recruitment and retention policy is right down there with the Eels.
Ballin was another one we snagged from them, they weren't real happy about that either

Dan said:
Moondog said:
Ballin was another one we snagged from them, they weren't real happy about that either

I said that once on here and Kiwi was like a dog with a bone. He swears the bronco's released him because he was no good. I KNOW your version is right Dan. :)

tookey said:
More chance of Australia winning the ashes than Manly releasing DCE

awww come on Tooks - the Aussies are still are chance aren't they? Clarkie said so. :s

mozgrame said:
Dan said:
Moondog said:

I said that once on here and Kiwi was like a dog with a bone. He swears the bronco's released him because he was no good. I KNOW your version is right Dan. :)

It was touted as a bit of a coup at the time. We went up to play there on a Friday night and he signed the paper work, something about the caxton was in the article as well from memory. It will actually be within our archives as the site was around then

Dan said:
mozgrame said:
Dan said:
Moondog said:

It was touted as a bit of a coup at the time. We went up to play there on a Friday night and he signed the paper work, something about the caxton was in the article as well from memory. It will actually be within our archives as the site was around then

Yes, that's right! Where is bloody Kiwi?? Haha. :D

My recall was that he was unwanted by the broncos and bennnett told Ballin to give it away as he would never make it

Matt Ballin proves Wayne Bennett happily wrong
BY:DAN KOCH From: The Australian May 24, 2010 12:00AM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
WHEN it comes to rugby league in Queensland, Wayne Bennett's opinion is generally accepted as though carved into stone tablets and delivered from on high.

In the case of new Maroons hooker Matt Ballin, however, the six-time premiership coach couldn't have been further from the mark. And no one is happier about that than Bennett.

"I have to admit, I just didn't see it," said Bennett of Ballin, who was signed to the Broncos as a 16-year-old but released to join Manly in 2007 without a first-grade appearance to his name.

"I remember standing in the carpark wishing him the best at Manly, but I didn't think he'd make it. With calls like that you are always happy to be wrong -- especially with a guy like Matt.

"He was a 10 out of 10 as a kid, but I just couldn't see a future for him at the Broncos and I was honest with him about that.

"You want to be wrong. You never want to see them fail. I am glad I was."

Not everyone at the Broncos was as happy to see Ballin, 26, snapped up by the Sea Eagles, where he has gone from reserve grader to playing in two grand finals, winning one, and earning State of Origin honours.

The late Cyril Connell, Brisbane's legendary recruitment scout, signed Ballin on a scholarship from Kingaroy State High School in 1999.

A long-time friend of Ballin's father, David, who was principal at the school, Connell remained one of Ballin's biggest fans until his passing late last year.

It was their bond, Bennett thought, that was clouding Connell's famous foresight.

"But I guess that is what made Cyril so special. He saw things in people others didn't . . . that I didn't," Bennett said.

"His coaches at Manly need to take plenty of credit because he has developed into a fantastic young player. He doesn't have the God-given talents of some of the other blokes who will be out there next week, but he has applied himself and learned the processes he needed to improve.

"Watching him now, even with the little bit of footwork he has out of dummy-half, the way he changes direction with his passing -- it isn't instinctive. It is a process he has learned and practised and practised until it has become second nature."

Just how far he has come will be put to the test when he lines up for his Maroons debut at ANZ Stadium, standing opposite his rival from the under-19 interstate clash in 2003, NSW rake Michael Ennis.

It will be the first time since Game II of the 2003 Origin series that Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith isn't wearing the No 9 for Queensland, after he failed to overcome the elbow injury he sustained playing in the trans-Tasman Test earlier this month.

That is undoubtedly a blow, but Ballin's combination with fellow playmakers Johnathan Thurston, Darren Lockyer and Billy Slater has evolved rapidly since the start of the Origin team's camp.

Different story from the time of signing

Dan said:
Different story from the time of signing

This story actually confirms both sides of the argument as correct. Bennett wanted him gone because he thought he wouldn't make it in the NRL, but Cyril Connell wanted him to stay and was disappointed to lose him.

Cant find the article. As I recall it was about us signing him from under the broncos noses in or around 2005 or 2006

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4