Dce out Hastings in?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Everybody's waiting for DCE to come good and lead Manly out of the doldrums. Ain't going to happen; it will be others that lift us out of the sewer and DCE will be but a passenger on that bus when that eventually happens.

Sorry to play the realist card, guys, but does it really matter who we have in the halves if our forward pack continues to be dominated by the opposition? I know our front rowers are missing through suspension, but our second rowers have also been conspicuously absent. A halves partnership of Jesus H. CHrist and Joe E. Johns couldn't help us at the moment, so it's asking a lot of Hastings to come to the rescue…

No way did the eels pack dominate manlys, ball control lost it. The pack stood up. The rabbits did but when we get our big boppers back the pack is pretty strong

Even against the rabbits, some poise and a smart kicking game may have stalled the rabbits comeback. But the all out approach only has 2 outcomes, id love to see the other one again.

When was the last time we kicked on the 3rd like a smith, cronk or thurston do when the team is rattled. We only kick early when we are on the attack, and usually over the dead ball line to lose all momentum. And rarely does his team mates know about it when he does

If the backline had key injuries like the pack currently does it would be a pop gun.

The problem with our pack injuries at the moment is lussick and marty in particular are the leaders along with bj. We miss that as much

I've sensed that we have a potentially good spine with TT, Hastings, DCE and Cullen. They are all jack in the box types who create attacking moves. If we had our players all on board I would have

Tom T.
Schuster
Walker
Kelly
Uate
Hastings
DCE
Lussick
Cullen
Lawrence
Taupau
AFB
Jake T

Myles
Bainbridge
Perrett or Lane
Sironen or Amone (even though he is not in the 25)

I think it's dangerous to think too much about the players...DCE might not be the messiah that many of us thought he was 4 years ago but he is a capable footballer. Unfortunately, I think Barrett just doesn't have "it". I am not questioning his passion, drive, energy, or work ethic, but the team looks like a rabble.

When teams are gelling under a new coach and there are a lot of new faces, they might struggle to play consistently for 80 minutes, or maybe they have the odd breakdown in communication here and there but they hang around and come up with tough gritty wins. I saw it with St George Illawarra when Bennett first went there. They lost a few here and there and toughed out a few ugly wins but you could see that the players knew what was going on...

I don't see that with Manly...we look rudderless and confused. The effort is there but the structures around that effort are absent and that is why I put it down to coaching. There is plenty of talent and potential in this line up so I don't think we need to sack this guy or sack that guy or move this person to a new position...I think we need a new coach.

DCE is one of the best players in the game when on form. I don't think he is the problem at all.

But Api at 9 is unforgivable, and Green at 6 has been no better than solid.

I think, as others have said, that we'd be far better off with Turbo, Cullen, DCE, Hastings as our spine. At least with our current roster.

And if Walker doesn't learn how to tackle soon he needs to go too.

I think it's dangerous to think too much about the players...DCE might not be the messiah that many of us thought he was 4 years ago but he is a capable footballer. Unfortunately, I think Barrett just doesn't have "it". I am not questioning his passion, drive, energy, or work ethic, but the team looks like a rabble.

When teams are gelling under a new coach and there are a lot of new faces, they might struggle to play consistently for 80 minutes, or maybe they have the odd breakdown in communication here and there but they hang around and come up with tough gritty wins. I saw it with St George Illawarra when Bennett first went there. They lost a few here and there and toughed out a few ugly wins but you could see that the players knew what was going on...

I don't see that with Manly...we look rudderless and confused. The effort is there but the structures around that effort are absent and that is why I put it down to coaching. There is plenty of talent and potential in this line up so I don't think we need to sack this guy or sack that guy or move this person to a new position...I think we need a new coach.
I think it is a bit of both. There are definitely roster changes that need to be made to be a top 4 side, both from within the current squad and the need for additional recruitment.

I have been a pro Barrett supporter willing to give him time; however, I agree that the structures are lacking and that comes down to coaching. It is only early in the season and like the last couple of years we have plenty of players unavailable - this year they are all in the same position of prop. I don't care what team you are, take out four props at once and you'll struggle, so I live in hope that when they are all back we will win some games.

An experienced coach that has been there, done that, will be better positioned to get us moving in the right direction. For a rookie coach to come in with a massive roster overhaul in two years and some very, very strong personalities at the club, it was always going to be a tough assignment.

I think it is a bit of both. There are definitely roster changes that need to be made to be a top 4 side, both from within the current squad and the need for additional recruitment.

I have been a pro Barrett supporter willing to give him time; however, I agree that the structures are lacking and that comes down to coaching. It is only early in the season and like the last couple of years we have plenty of players unavailable - this year they are all in the same position of prop. I don't care what team you are, take out four props at once and you'll struggle, so I live in hope that when they are all back we will win some games.

An experienced coach that has been there, done that, will be better positioned to get us moving in the right direction. For a rookie coach to come in with a massive roster overhaul in two years and some very, very strong personalities at the club, it was always going to be a tough assignment.
I like your angle...

Interested to know though...what roster changes you would make?

For me personally, I tried very hard to be positive about the Green signing but it seemed safe to me...I never really thought of him as any more than a no frills bit part player...

I'd have Hastings in the side at 6 and give him the goal kicking duties. I don't think he is a 9 and I don't think it's OK to have a part time goal kicker! I also think he is a decent organiser with a strong kicking game.

I would like the club to buy a good winger to replace Uate. I know he has been strong the first couple of games but I don't think we can afford to carry two rocks or diamonds wingers and I love Taufua's go forward so he get's the nod...

Then I would put Jake T at prop and move Marty to 13 so he can pop up a little wider if need be but still take the ball through the middle...so we would need another back-rower to take the place of Winterstein.

Then I would be satisfied with our starting line up.

I have to say i hope cherry is out for a few weeks. Id like to see the team operate differently for a bit. Im under no illusion that we will make a big dent this year so id like for the club, coach and fans to have a good look at how we go without him, for the future.

Luckily this year we have a few players thay are useful in the halves, rather than last year

Api causes all heart attacks at 9 but last year when switched to the halves, although a hog,m he gave us more game management, and repeat sets and we generally looked more dangerous when in the attacking zones

We looked like we had a plan

I have to say i hope cherry is out for a few weeks. Id like to see the team operate differently for a bit. Im under no illusion that we will make a big dent this year so id like for the club, coach and fans to have a good look at how we go without him, for the future.

Luckily this year we have a few players thay are useful in the halves, rather than last year

Api causes all heart attacks at 9 but last year when switched to the halves, although a hog,m he gave us more game management, and repeat sets and we generally looked more dangerous when in the attacking zones

We looked like we had a plan

To compare apples with apples you would need to have Api passing to himself from dummy half and see how he goes with balls at his head or behind his back. Maybe the reason he looked good was the good quality ball he got from Parcell?

Everybody's waiting for DCE to come good and lead Manly out of the doldrums. Ain't going to happen; it will be others that lift us out of the sewer and DCE will be but a passenger on that bus when that eventually happens.
Agree. You'd think the money DCE is on he'd have an MR or HR license. ;)

Throwing this out there:

What happens if Hastings comes in, steers us around the park really well, and wins a game against the Cowboys in a solid fashion? What happens if he has chemistry with Blake Green?

Do we just throw DCE back in because he's DCE the next week? You literally couldn't play him in Blacktown.

What would we do?

Also come to the realization that @susan was right. We are sorely lacking a proper #9, and I can't believe we lost Parcell.
Throwing this out there:

What happens if Hastings comes in, steers us around the park really well, and wins a game against the Cowboys in a solid fashion? What happens if he has chemistry with Blake Green?

Do we just throw DCE back in because he's DCE the next week? You literally couldn't play him in Blacktown.

What would we do?

Also come to the realization that @susan was right. We are sorely lacking a proper #9, and I can't believe we lost Parcell.
He can tackle and is a good passer ,maybe you just answered your own question.DC9.

I like your angle...

Interested to know though...what roster changes you would make?

For me personally, I tried very hard to be positive about the Green signing but it seemed safe to me...I never really thought of him as any more than a no frills bit part player...

I'd have Hastings in the side at 6 and give him the goal kicking duties. I don't think he is a 9 and I don't think it's OK to have a part time goal kicker! I also think he is a decent organiser with a strong kicking game.

I would like the club to buy a good winger to replace Uate. I know he has been strong the first couple of games but I don't think we can afford to carry two rocks or diamonds wingers and I love Taufua's go forward so he get's the nod...

Then I would put Jake T at prop and move Marty to 13 so he can pop up a little wider if need be but still take the ball through the middle...so we would need another back-rower to take the place of Winterstein.

Then I would be satisfied with our starting line up.
Totally agree with Hastings in the halves and goal kicker, I know we have different views on Api; however, I believe this role is so important to get right. If we have Hastings and DCE in the halves, we just need someone who can give quick clean service from dummy half who is also a solid defender. For now, I would like to give Joey Lussick a crack at hooker with instructions to keep it simple and run when there is an opportunity.

I would like to see Billy Bainbridge come into the side permanently, initially from the bench, with a view to replacing Winterstein in the starting side later on. Lane should also be given a crack, which it seems he will, so let's see what he can do.

I would also like to see Brad Parker come into the side by mid year once he gets some lower grade games under his belt (post injury). If either Jorge or Uate are struggling, then he should be given a chance. He is tall, good under the high ball, and could give us a target to kick to on the wing - something we haven't had in a long time.

As for recruiting, we need a quality middle player, a good outside back (or two) and another hooker if Lussick doesn't work out. We will have plenty of dollars to spend next year - I'd say we will have more than any other team. Our recruitment for 2018 will be the most crucial in recent history - it will make us or break us, so we need to get it right.

Myles, Brown, Walker (his defence hasn't improved through-out his career - which is why Souths targeted him last week), Tafua and/or Uate, Lawrence (love him, but this should be his final year), Winterstein and Api should all be on the release list. Add that to the freed up cash from Snake and Matai and we are talking serious dollars even if we have to part pay-out some of these guys like Myles, Brown and Walker (although, I can't see Walker going until his contract is up).

6 Green
7 Hastings
9 DCE

We could do worse
As someone else suggested, Green could go to six. I really like the idea of DCE and Hastings in the halves. DCE has a great running game when he is on; in two rounds we have seen him make two clean breaks - last year he did bupkis, so having a genuine half next to him is helping this aspect.

I don't see Green as a running threat in the halves, so if one of these three were to move to hooker, then maybe try Green there (especially if Lussick is not able to get a run due to 2nd tier restrictions).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8