[Resurrected] DCE is the worst halfback in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I'm a believer that the forward pack is like a big Mac truck and the half back is the one that needs to drive them around the park. Decision making is key. Players that are in tune with those that are around them and read the game are rare gems. Peter Sterling and Cooper Cronk immediately come to mind. Neither as athletically gifted and talented as DCE but both superior game managers.

Last edited:
As most of you know I started this thread in 2018 but the last few years he's changed my mind. Up until the last 2 games he was one of the better No.7 in the NRL. It's not his fault if our forwards can't dominate. Look at the first couple of games against Soufs, roosters and panthers our forwards hammered all three of those packs, then our forwards got plenty of go forward which then allowed our halves and backs to spread the ball and score lots of points. The problem is that the game plan hasn't changed and when we've not dominating it shuts down our attack. There's no line speed and oppostions are making metres up the middle the spreading it wide and going through the defence like butter.

Focus for us at training should be solely on defence and line speed. At the moment we're waiting for the attack to come to us.Everyone knows this team has a potent attack but if you want to win a comp your defence must be very good.

Completion rates need to inprove as well.

Swoop, your original post in 2018 said -

This bloke needs to take ownership of the performances. He can't seem to lead or organise the team around the park. For all the big dollars he's being paid we're not getting much return.

.......your point still stands.

Far from the worst and still a very good halfback. Where he lets himself down, in my opinion is game management. Always been a factor. With Manly getting out to big leads there needs to be a plan that we then play the 1%'s. Kick to corners, defend well and force the errors. Nothing expansive in our half. If you watch the last few SOO series DCE has done that perfectly. He lets Munster do his thing and he steers the team around the park. This is part of Billy's game plan. Over to you coach.

DCE is 4th in the NRL amongst halfbacks for running metres.

DCE is 3rd in the NRL amongst halfbacks for runs made.

DCE is 2nd in the NRL amongst halfbacks for tackle breaks.

DCE is 4th in the NRL amongst (5th if you count Wishart) halfbacks for runs made over 8m.

Granted he is down the list for metres per run at 7m whilst Hughes is at 10m, Cleary and Weekes 9m and is is yet to register a line break.....though he is a very clear 1st for line break assists.

Anyhoo, just some data to add to the discussion.
DCE is first in the NRL for Brain Explosions and stupid options.

Jake is praised for his number of tackles, but a lot of them are self made with 6 against and penalties. This also tires out our team. He does seem to have improved

This is a very pertinent point.

Agreed that this has seemingly improved this season.

I actually see DCE having many great qualities and to be a premiership winner, plus represented both Qld and Australia noone can deny that fact.....but keep in mind at that level he has so many cool heads around him, he can play some abstract footy and have enough leaders across the park to keep the train on the tracks.
However he has a key area that has been lacking since day 1 - "Patience"
I'm all for instinctive players reading the opposition and playing instictively, but DCE seems to hit a "panic button"reserved for a side trailing with 30 seconds on the clock needing a try.
I mean as an example he doesn't close out a game in general play controlling the clock, yet he can kick the winning FG, but these are entirely different attributes.
Another example is after Manly making a break on tackle 2 or 3, he will rush a desperate looking kick like it's a rugby union game.....1 may come off out of 10, but it's a low percentage play and not want you want from a cool headed leader....a half like Cleary in this very situation, will see this opportunity and play direct at a distressed defensive line, bringing runners with him and in most cases will ice a try - a controlled try.
The kick on 3rd tackle against Dolphins straight down the wingers throat, after we had hit the lead again shows a terrible option at a critical moment of the game and though I feel we were sinking anyways, this certainly contributed to the loss.
DCE can be dynamic and play some nice trick shot footy, but his composure is well below par.

DCE Must Be The Master of All Ironies ....

Isn't it funny how the worst Half back in the NRL
Always Tares up the Best Team NSW can come up with
1715652831905.png

What do these stats mean?
They mean DCE can play
The Question is
Why isnt Seibold getting the best out of him ?
Why do the Maroons get the best out of him ?
Maybe.....Because he's surrounded by other elite players - Munster, Grant, Ponga, Hunt etc

Maybe.....Because he's surrounded by other elite players - Munster, Grant, Ponga, Hunt etc
So Is Cleary for NSW who is always surrounded by the best of NSW best
but The Great DCE always Dominates him and all the Other NSW halfback Losers

Maroon Great Mentor Billy Slater Congratulates his Great Maroon Captain DCE on another Dominating Winning Performance
1715658197803.png

Perspective Time
We all fall now and gain
But only the Great ones keep rising back to the top and Keep breaking records

From one Great to another .....
Records are meant to be broken and I couldn’t be happier for Daly to achieve this
The Great Cliffy Lyons

Most Games for Manly​

Daly Cherry-Evans (2011-)*
309 Cliff Lyons 1986-1999,

280 Steve Menzies 1993-2008

278 Anthony Watmough 2003-2014

263 Alan Thompson 1973-1984

255 Des Hasler 1984-1996

241 Fred Jones 1961-1975

238 Geoff Toovey 1988-1999

237 Graham Eadie 1971-1983

233 Brett Stewart 2003-2016

Can't believe I'm actually posting in this silly thread ... but fwiw DCE is clearly a great player.
He's never been mentioned as a future immortal/best player in the game for the simple reason he does have some deficiencies. Mostly in Cronk-type steady, game management areas.

Toovey is another example of a great player but likewise never floated as a future immortal/best player in the game. No-one sane ever called Tooves the worst half in the game, yet there's a reasonable argument DCE is the better player of the two.

A lot of it comes down to some fans having an anti-DCE bias. Lit by gutter media narratives and fuelled by said fans need to find a scapegoat for Manly's decade of non-dominance. Personally I'm looking forward to him playing well against the Broncos, I rate our chances in this game!

Started the year in very hot form but he's come off the boil a bit.

I feel that he doesn't really have quiet games - he always puts in 100% but the flip side is that he will take low percentage options like force passes that just aren't on or kick early when its not on. So instead of anonymous games he tends to blow hot and cold and throw a magic try assist and throw an intercepted pass leading to a try in the same game, which has already happened this year.

Obviously this is also down to coaching and being given the freedom to do it. It's a different story in SoO as under Slater his role in attack is a lot more disciplined in State of Origin - nothing fancy in tackles 1-4

Can't believe I'm actually posting in this silly thread ... but fwiw DCE is clearly a great player.
He's never been mentioned as a future immortal/best player in the game for the simple reason he does have some deficiencies. Mostly in Cronk-type steady, game management areas.

Toovey is another example of a great player but likewise never floated as a future immortal/best player in the game. No-one sane ever called Tooves the worst half in the game, yet there's a reasonable argument DCE is the better player of the two.

A lot of it comes down to some fans having an anti-DCE bias. Lit by gutter media narratives and fuelled by said fans need to find a scapegoat for Manly's decade of non-dominance. Personally I'm looking forward to him playing well against the Broncos, I rate our chances in this game!
I cant believe you stayed away so long. Keep checking in wondering when you were going into bat

not posting much lately mate.

People are quick to forget how good toovey was. His running game and defence were a highlight, and he's not known for being reckless and playing dumb football....often!

He was a leader too, a highly respected leader who led with his actions for such a small man.

Toovey overall is quite a ways ahead of DCE in my opinion.

I cant believe you stayed away so long. Keep checking in wondering when you were going into bat

not posting much lately mate.
Lol, can't I rest on my laurels after 27000 posts 😊
I’ve got in the same discussions here over and over (everything from DCE to racism & sexism in footy, climate change, Paul Kent violence etc etc) and pretty much given my view on everything (multiple times!)(if not more!)
Still check in regularly (and no doubt will add 2c worth whenever I can’t help myself)
:giggle:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14