[Resurrected] DCE is the worst halfback in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

grogbog

DCE is the only player in the current backline that has any talent. He has way too much to burden and teams know all they need to do is shut down DCE and our attack is screwed. With Trbojevic out, we have nothing outside of him, Cust and Levi just aren't threatening enough. That's why we struggle so much without Tom.

Getting someone of Foran's calibre would do so much to improve our attack and lift the players outside of him. It would take a lot of pressure off DCE and allow him to play his natural game.

The Indian

Bencher
Funnily i though dce had one of his better games yesterday. Certainly his kicking game and positioning to kick was first grade standard fior a halfback

He is never sighted in the first 20 . Probably part of his contract . Jake played straight out halfback for the first 20 and went pretty well

He at least kicked well enough to keep us there abouts and he did it with cust and levi, by positioning himself like a halfback and carrying out his duties, against the storm

Yeah I'm a harsh critic of DCE at times but yesterday was not a bad game by him. He was pressured and rushed on most kicks yesterday and did some fair kicks in the circumstances.... DCE would love to play against this Manly team who allow opposition kickers time to eat a cut lunch and stroll along and pinpoint kicks to our hapless outside backs like it's a training session.

Our attention to detail in the basics in this team is diabolical. DCE must wear part of that blame but he's not solely responsible. Just a symptom of a team that has totally lost its way

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It'd only be conjecture but I wonder how we would be going as a team if we had Cleary or Johnson or Moses or any other right edge half playing in our team. Would we be travelling better ?? In my opinion DCE is woefully out of form, his short kicking is below par, his running game pretty much disappeared and his 5th tackle options poorly conceived and executed. I think maybe we win a couple of those games with Cleary as our half based on current relative form between the two.

I get all the excuses about the cattle (or lack of) we have around DCE, but ultimately he has to find a way to make something happen. We all get that he tries hard, as you would expect from any player, it's never his effort that is questioned. I look at the Sharks, you wouldn't call their 9 and 1 world beaters by any means, yet they can win with a rookie 6 and SJ, or even better a rookie 6 AND 7. Is their team that much better than ours ??

It's not all his DCE's fault but ultimately he is the one who pulls the strings - he is Captain and chief playmaker - he really is the only one who can control the destiny of the game on the field. Currently he is struggling on that front - just looks lost and panicked a lot of the time. Maybe now that the pressure of having to make the finals is off and we have some easier match ups coming he can relax.

I'd love to see him straighten his running game and dig into the line, give his outside men an option of running a hole line. That's his strength, but he is currently playing like someone who is paranoid to get tackled so he crabs across the line and when he doesn't get an option it's a dead pass for someone else to take the hit for him.

The Who

Journey Man
I'm a DCE fan but signing anyone to a 10-year deal is nuts. At least he's still able to play, unlike another 10-year-deal man, Lance Franklin, who hasn't played at all this season.
I'm sure in a more professionally coached team DCE would be an important component. But when you have a coach who thinks you can fix all ills simply by holding on to the ball then you know said coach is stuck in the era of unlimited tackles.

ManEagle

Just a Man and his Eagle
What I struggle with is that our team is not drilled when it comes to our attacking kicking game. There is rarely a contest for a bomb outside of Tommy who is a weapon when the ball is in the air.

THIS !!
Glaringly obvious either players haven't a clue when the kick is coming or where its going, or they are not investing in DCE kicks either way very poor part of our game at the moment.
I would hate to think Des is coaching a no contest kick preferring a set defensive line for the kick return.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
Yeah I'm a harsh critic of DCE at times but yesterday was not a bad game by him. He was pressured and rushed on most kicks yesterday and did some fair kicks in the circumstances.... DCE would love to play against this Manly team who allow opposition kickers time to eat a cut lunch and stroll along and pinpoint kicks to our hapless outside backs like it's a training session.

Our attention to detail in the basics in this team is diabolical. DCE must wear part of that blame but he's not solely responsible. Just a symptom of a team that has totally lost its way
Interesting point around the attacking kicks. I watched his warm up and he was kicking right to the corner we were sitting. Tbh I wasn’t that impressed and he didn’t look that happy either. In fact what was interesting in the warm ups was how long the storm were out before us. Hughes was out really early putting bombs into the corner. I reckon we started our warm up about 20mins before kickoff. Storm were out ten to 15 before us,

KNUCKLES

Bencher
I'm a DCE fan but signing anyone to a 10-year deal is nuts. At least he's still able to play, unlike another 10-year-deal man, Lance Franklin, who hasn't played at all this season.
I'm sure in a more professionally coached team DCE would be an important component. But when you have a coach who thinks you can fix all ills simply by holding on to the ball then you know said coach is stuck in the era of unlimited tackles.
I think they should change the rule regarding the dead ball line. If your in the attacking 20 and the ball goes dead from a kick should be a 6 tackle restart. If it goes dead beyond 30 then a 7 tackle restart. We would see alot more attacking kicks and more tryscoring opportunities. Better for the brand, better for the fans, better product

Simonmyers11

First Grader
I think they should change the rule regarding the dead ball line. If your in the attacking 20 and the ball goes dead from a kick should be a 6 tackle restart. If it goes dead beyond 30 then a 7 tackle restart. We would see alot more attacking kicks and more tryscoring opportunities. Better for the brand, better for the fans, better product
that's a very valid point.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Interesting point around the attacking kicks. I watched his warm up and he was kicking right to the corner we were sitting. Tbh I wasn’t that impressed and he didn’t look that happy either. In fact what was interesting in the warm ups was how long the storm were out before us. Hughes was out really early putting bombs into the corner. I reckon we started our warm up about 20mins before kickoff. Storm were out ten to 15 before us,
I think it was coached not to kick on 5th at the start of the year. Walker and DCE ran it on the last almost every time and seemed happier to die with the ball 2 m out rather than risk a repeat set.

Starting to try them now, but very rusty and hooker doesn't give good service either.

Seems wasn't practiced much in off season, compare that to penrith and Cleary said barret got him practicing 5th tackle kicks and now he is the best at it.

Dez needs to relook at this in off season, and would love the rule to change so teams dont get penalised with 7th tackle restarts, the rule came into play to stop players deliberately kicking dead 30-40m out

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
When you witness a team desperately fighting for their season throw the ball away 3 times in a row on the 1st tackle all within the opponents 20meter zone and all within 5 minutes then you question what is the captain and halfback doing to organise the attack, to organise where the play is going and to organise the team into an attack formation. There was none if it yesterday when the game was on the line. Where great players take control and win games like that, ours goes missing. He is overrated, over priced and will be an anchor around out necks till his contract us up because NO other club would pay that much for him.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
When you witness a team desperately fighting for their season throw the ball away 3 times in a row on the 1st tackle all within the opponents 20meter zone and all within 5 minutes then you question what is the captain and halfback doing to organise the attack, to organise where the play is going and to organise the team into an attack formation. There was none if it yesterday when the game was on the line. Where great players take control and win games like that, ours goes missing. He is overrated, over priced and will be an anchor around out necks till his contract us up because NO other club would pay that much for him.
Yeah it’s interesting but I think a couple of those times others did stupid things. One occurred right in front of me and dce was livid. Funny actually my boy has just started playing first receiver in the under 10s and he knows the game plan and sticks to it. Send two props straight at them encouraging flank men to support, then sees where the outside men have been drawn in and throws the ball that way. That’s a ten year old organizing! Just lots of talk and encouragement.

What was shocking again yesterday was seeing the numbers they created in our right side. A few times it looked like Hoppa and Garrick v 5 storm players. DCE was doing his level best to cover but I think Siro is shot and couldn’t number up. Was the same in that side last week as well.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Yeah it’s interesting but I think a couple of those times others did stupid things. One occurred right in front of me and dce was livid. Funny actually my boy has just started playing first receiver in the under 10s and he knows the game plan and sticks to it. Send two props straight at them encouraging flank men to support, then sees where the outside men have been drawn in and throws the ball that way. That’s a ten year old organizing! Just lots of talk and encouragement.

What was shocking again yesterday was seeing the numbers they created in our right side. A few times it looked like Hoppa and Garrick v 5 storm players. DCE was doing his level best to cover but I think Siro is shot and couldn’t number up. Was the same in that side last week as well.
Did you notice much talk out there amongst our players ?

Simonmyers11

First Grader
come on Mick, cannot blame DCE for funa throwing it over the sideline on the first, then Tafua wow, instead of cutting back in, stepped on the outside and was thrown over the sideline. ****, DCE cannot control players that self destruct, he was pissed. Same with DEz, those mistakes were just down to players not switched on. Cust dropping it on the first 20m out and knocking it on over the line. Is that DCEs fault? What about when he kept shifting to Siro to work an over lap and then siro kept stepping back inside, not even looking to his centre. What about when tafua ran it back 5m out, stopped gave it to Garrick who got belted back in goal. Crocker and Levi, just doing their own thing - that is the biggest problem, the hookers are brain dead

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Did you even watch the game? score was 14-6 right, just after half time, DCE puts up a good bomb, Parker grabs it and passes it to Jake for a certain try and Cust drops it! Then he puts up another bomb landing 5m out and Melbourne drop it. We spread the ball and parker drops it over the line! Then after that was when tafua runs over the side line, and funa throws a ball over Tafuas head on the first. How the **** can DCE control that.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
Did you even watch the game? score was 14-6 right, just after half time, DCE puts up a good bomb, Parker grabs it and passes it to Jake for a certain try and Cust drops it! Then he puts up another bomb landing 5m out and Melbourne drop it. We spread the ball and parker drops it over the line! Then after that was when tafua runs over the side line, and funa throws a ball over Tafuas head on the first. How the **** can DCE control that.
I thought he had his best kicking game of the year other than the last one

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Same, last one avg. But first half those long bombs were sailing 50m down field and finding the grass every time, and some of those bombs should of been turned into points. But he gets bagged out for **** 5th tackle kicking game. I also like you point about the rule change, stupid rule. Plus Cust cannot kick, I agree get foran back, we need more than one half to do every play. The hooker and both halfs need to share it and also helps with your gun full back playing who is so dangerous every time he touches the ball.

DCE was pretty **** start of year, I think he is only one doing anything decent out there now though, would of been so nice to see Walker stay fit with his early form to go with a healthy Tom. I think those 3 if stayed healthy would of really put some good plays on and also the D would of been so much better, especially laterally

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member

He did for sure, but he still waits fot the first prop interchange to bring his kicking boots out for him ,
Jake played out and out halfback for the first 20 yesterday ,
He went alright as well
Jake and a sprint coach may be a better long term prospect at 7 than cherry and a halfback coach,

I also think his kicks were better yesteday because we were never in a position to put an attacking kick in. We had the breeze in the second half and kicked from our own end too often.

Finding the grass was a welcome surprise

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16