[Resurrected] DCE is the worst halfback in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
DCE short comings cant be ignored much longer. What an up and down game today and after 60 minutes we are 4 up.

The team withstands wave after wave of attack and we finally get the ball with 8 minutes left. ruck it down field and we get to the last 20 metres out and we need to make it as hard as possible for them and our half kicks it dead and from the resulting set of 7 they score on the last play to get the lead.

All I kept thinking about was the heroic defensive effort undone by that errant kick and the price we paid.

DCE really is struggling to be consistent with his kicking game. one great grubber for a try against errant kicks which just turn possession over.

The issue is game managment and it is not improving and this needs to be called out!!

Thurston and Cronk, not surprisingly won most of the half back awards in the past 10 years. But Cherry Evans won one in 2014, was Rookie of the year 2011, won the Churchill Award in 2013 despite being on the losing side and has played 15 tests. I think that makes him a fairly high quality half.
Last 3 Dally M halfbacks. M Moses. L Brooks. M Morgan.

DCE short comings cant be ignored much longer. What an up and down game today and after 60 minutes we are 4 up.

The team withstands wave after wave of attack and we finally get the ball with 8 minutes left. ruck it down field and we get to the last 20 metres out and we need to make it as hard as possible for them and our half kicks it dead and from the resulting set of 7 they score on the last play to get the lead.

All I kept thinking about was the heroic defensive effort undone by that errant kick and the price we paid.

DCE really is struggling to be consistent with his kicking game. one great grubber for a try against errant kicks which just turn possession over.

The issue is game managment and it is not improving and this needs to be called out!!
Hate his little pop kicks, they are so ineffective. He must have superglue on his jersey cos as soon as someone touches him he can never brush them off. He's lost his running game, lost his kicking game and his game management is piss poor. Chez is only good surrounded by Fainu, Turbo and a Foran type half

I’m not questioning his work ethic, determination or effort...ever!
But for 5 years it’s been HIS team
There seems no real consistency from his game on most occasions, however when smart plays are required in clutch situations, poor old DCE freezes in the spotlight (excluding his Golden point heroics)
That bomb with 7 to go yesterday was a very good example of his head under pressure.
Hoisting a half bomb on a wing and a prayer into the winds yesterday became nothing more than a raffle.
This is the kind of half kick that players execute when they are hedging their bets for a miracle play.
He should know;
A The conditions are completely against him
B We offer the worst contested assistance in the air of all NRL teams
C He broke the hearts of our forwards, who heroically busted their guts to get him into that position
A game of %, very low % play that cost us a win.
Sure, there were a myriad of other tangibles why we lost. But this was the play that typified 5 years of him guiding the team. It happens fare too often...and from there, the boys just dropped their heads and run on muscle memory until the inevitable.
Sad to see
He needs help
Please Manly, get him some help to complete the player that should be our undisputed King.

There seems no real consistency from his game on most occasions, however when smart plays are required in clutch situations, poor old DCE freezes in the spotlight (excluding his Golden point heroics)
That bomb with 7 to go yesterday was a very good example of his head under pressure.
Hoisting a half bomb on a wing and a prayer into the winds yesterday became nothing more than a raffle.
This is the kind of half kick that players execute when they are hedging their bets for a miracle play.
He should know;
C He broke the hearts of our forwards, who heroically busted their guts to get him into that position
Sure, there were a myriad of other tangibles why we lost. But this was the play that typified 5 years of him guiding the team. It happens fare too often...and from there, the boys just dropped their heads and run on muscle memory until the inevitable.
Sad to see
He needs help
Please Manly, get him some help to complete the player that should be our undisputed King.

One thing I do notice lately when other teams are kicking, especially when putting up a bomb, 1 or 2 attacking team's forwards seem to put themselves in the way of the defenders getting to the kicker too quickly. This didn't really happen yesterday, and showed when Pearce chased after DCE that ended up with Funa tackled on the last.

I think protection for our kickers on the last is something that needs to improve.

One thing I do notice lately when other teams are kicking, especially when putting up a bomb, 1 or 2 attacking team's forwards seem to put themselves in the way of the defenders getting to the kicker too quickly. This didn't really happen yesterday, and showed when Pearce chased after DCE that ended up with Funa tackled on the last.

I think protection for our kickers on the last is something that needs to improve.
Totally agree, but I am sure Des would be coaching that at training.
Is DCE or somebody else verbalising it effectively out on the field?
Seems not
Maybe our guys are also reluctant to over call Chez?
There is something disjointed about the whole process at the moment

Great Point and it's those little things that are costing us games. That must come down to coaching in some form. Just watch the Storm. Every time they get those blockers in front of the kicker just "loitering" to give him more time and hence put in a better kick , in reverse they pressure the opposition kicker so he is always rushed. It's part of the reason that week in and week out the opposition scores far more tries against us from kicks than we score in return. Also why oppositions force far more line dropouts against us they we force in return. As we saw yesterday in the DCE 7 tackle set those little details have huge flow on effects.

Let's be clear. DCE is a good player and he plays some great games and he is trying hard at the moment. Also we have nobody close who could fill his shoes so WE NEED HIM. But his ability to execute simple plays and provide structure to the team attack in those last play of the set key moments when the clock is winding down is quite mediocre in general ( field goals aside ).

I think he has. its only peoples dreams that see him perched so high. What you see is what you get, its just that some posters continually go on about him not reaching his potential because of other circumstances
He is a back up support player like ben

You see, with players like green, they didnt compliment cherry, they did his job he got to play second fullback. Its a great option if you can squeeze it under the cap, maybe the roosters it could work

Think that D C E has stepped up in recent times and had a pretty solid game yesterday . Have to give him some slack for having so many disjointed combinations this season but also think that he , and like quite a few Manly players has lacked some general consistency collectively Main thing again is his effort and competitive attitude has been there recently , hopefully Manly "s best spine can be a regular scenario and available in coming seasons and also good go forward to also regularly give him a good platform to work off . Games like the one he played against Souths in that elimination final last year are probably an indication when he has been at his best , and when his involvement has been to best effect . Just need to be dealt a a better hand on the injury front and for the best spine combinations to be the norm instead of the exception .

He should know;
Sad to see
He needs help
I see you are a new member here. I've merged your thread with this one because some have been asking this same question for a while now. If you read through this thread you'll find all the reasons or excuses depending on what side of the fence you are on.

Funnily i though dce had one of his better games yesterday. Certainly his kicking game and positioning to kick was first grade standard fior a halfback

He is never sighted in the first 20 . Probably part of his contract . Jake played straight out halfback for the first 20 and went pretty well

He at least kicked well enough to keep us there abouts and he did it with cust and levi, by positioning himself like a halfback and carrying out his duties, against the storm

What I struggle with is that our team is not drilled when it comes to our attacking kicking game. There is rarely a contest for a bomb outside of Tommy who is a weapon when the ball is in the air. We dont get anywhere near enough repeat sets and the last 10 weeks we seem to be stuck in our own half as we do not finish sets well.

DCE this year is hampered by a lack of a quality 6 and 9 compared to last year when he was much more effective as we had 2 great 9s taking the pressure off him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11