Daly bread: Sea Eagles in a bind over star's cut- price contract

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Off Contract 2012: Kieran Foran, Ben Farrar, Jorge Taufua, Matt Ballin, Liam Foran, Darcy Lussick, Michael McDougall, Michael Oldfield, Brett Stewart, Dean Whare, David Williams

Cambo said:
I find it hypocritcal that we get a thread like this saying lets ditch this player and that player to stay under the cap. Then when in another thread we are questioning players loyalty because they want maximum dollars.

I agree with this 100% Cambo. I'm astounded that some people, as mere fans with nothing really on the line (except bragging rights as premiers), voice their opinions that we should ditch long-serving players on a whim, but in the next breath they expect our star players to give up their enormous earning potential to stay for "loyalty".

DCE's situation needs to be addressed asap. I appreciate that we probably can't give him the rise he deserves this year because of salary cap restrictions and I am sure he will understand that, but the kid has earnt his pay day.

Earnie the Eagle said:
I think I liked it better where all we worried about was who we were playing next week and not who would be playing for us next year.

That's why the NRL needs some sort of system so this doesn't happen.

Easier said than done - cant help but to care about the club and Manly's future squad etc for the coming years esp when you have future manly stars you want to stay at your club! not watch them run around in a different colour jersey.

Of course people are looking at the next game and this season , but im sure people are also looking outside that and hoping these players get signed. Remember there is a reason we talk so much about these players who play for our club who we watch week in and week out and love it, im sure im not the only one who will say i want them to remain an eagle and obviously i will have concern until signed

Offload Snake, keep DCE, Foz and Balin.

Snake is in the back half of his career and chasing the $ after enduring a rough couple of years. Let him go that $500K. Hate to see him go, but DCE, Foz and Balin are the future.

I might have a holiday from this forum. Nothing new everyday. Just more rumours, speculation and uninformed scaremongering!

swoop said:
Earnie the Eagle said:
I think I liked it better where all we worried about was who we were playing next week and not who would be playing for us next year.

That's why the NRL needs some sort of system so this doesn't happen.

Regardless of the system it is still exactly the same scenario with players off contract

And whatever we contribute to this forum means absolutely nothing in respect of retention outcomes as decisions will be made by those who are required to make these and many vital related factors are unknown to us Stevo, enjoy the holiday.

Stevo said:
I might have a holiday from this forum. Nothing new everyday. Just more rumours, speculation and uninformed scaremongering!

Yeah, we all speculated that you would uniformly try to scare us by spreading the rumour you were leaving.

see what I did there? Pure genius I tells ya!

arty said:
And whatever we contribute to this forum means absolutely nothing in respect of retention outcomes as decisions will be made by those who are required to make these and many vital related factors are unknown to us Stevo, enjoy the holiday.

You mean the coach and the Board don't look to this forum for guidance on every issue affecting the club, and players don't actually read this forum for tips on how to improve their performances?

What a vicious rumour to spread arty...

MadMarcus said:
Cambo said:
I find it hypocritcal that we get a thread like this saying lets ditch this player and that player to stay under the cap. Then when in another thread we are questioning players loyalty because they want maximum dollars.

I agree with this 100% Cambo. I'm astounded that some people, as mere fans with nothing really on the line (except bragging rights as premiers), voice their opinions that we should ditch long-serving players on a whim, but in the next breath they expect our star players to give up their enormous earning potential to stay for "loyalty".

DCE's situation needs to be addressed asap. I appreciate that we probably can't give him the rise he deserves this year because of salary cap restrictions and I am sure he will understand that, but the kid has earnt his pay day.
g'day all,if you said to dce this time last yearwhen he signed his $100,000 or whatever contract that this timenext year he would be apremiership winner,an australian representative playerand one of the hottest properties in the game im sure he would of said yeah keep dreamin' pal as much as he would have liked to believe it,in fact im certain no one here or from the club would.So i would like to think that dce can understand that no one could foresee his meteoric rise and show theclub abit of consideration in current negotiations.
cheers mike

TerryRandall said:
Whats the point of the new TV deal if it all goes towards inflating player salaries?
The players' pay rates have been artificially suppressed by the cap. This is a reason why players have been lured to England, or to rugby, or even to AFL.

Those competitions are not hamstrung in the way the NRL has been. Probably because they didn't sign away their main revenue rights for way under market value. If the players can earn money in proportion to their market value then it's likely more would want to stay here.

The game is worth way more than it has earned. The players naturally want a cut of any increase.

Cambo said:

I see what you are saying but we need to start keeping our younger talent, we keep letting them go so we can keep our older players but very soon it is going to come back to bite us.

If we let DCE or Foran go then in a few years when the older players move on we will be left with nothing and we would have to start poaching players from other clubs and quality halfbacks don't come around all that often. I would prefer build a team for the future from our own young players.

This is one of the reasons why Hasler left us for the dogs.

he knew that our cap was stuffed for the next 2 years by his backending of deals and he knew that we would have to lose players and he didn't want to rebuild again with manly.

Ever thought if it was a simple thing to do the club would not have done it already?

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I'm a bit concerned about our roster for 2016.

Hahahahaha...it's ok SER8. This is our last year. Remember the world will end on 21.12.2012. :p

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8