Daly bread: Sea Eagles in a bind over star's cut- price contract

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Berkeley_Eagle said:
Begs the question
What's Cherry worth ?

I reakon $450 at the moment ??
2x MOM AWARDS AGAINST BENJI
AND SHAUN JOHNSON, not bad,
Two try's in 2 games, and getting better every game

A half back is probably the most important player (maybe equal to that is a go forward rugged prop) when trying to win a premiership. DCE is one of the few half backs that can say that they can do it. They are only worth what someone pays for them (except in Sandows case $450/yr+?) .. he is a $350 k minimum player NOW. There are clubs out there that would pay way above this. Other players around him understand that he deserves it. If you do not have the funds to pay for all the champions make sure he have players that can bring lesser likes up to a higher standard. DCE can do that just by his skill and participation effort!!

so 450k for DCE then what is foran worth aswell then you guys rekon?. Im assuming he would already be on quite a bit more than DCE is so it would be a couple hundred upgrade for Foran opposed to cherry's 350k extra. Massive money - they are very much worth it tho

Let's have faith in our management. They obviously want DCE as much as we do, and will pay him whatever they can afford.
The absolute worst case scenario is that we have DCE playing for us for the next two seasons.
If a 'nuffie' club like Parra can offer Hoppa $800,000 a season then we must expect another desperate club, like Souffs or Easts, to offer at least this.
Can't we just enjoy watching this champion play and helping to win us premierships without stressing out?
PS: DCE is such a marketable person that I'd be surprised if he wasn't earning extra money in endorsements, media appearances etc. His financial situation is not as 'dire' ($100,000 a season for a 22 year old isn't too bad in the real world) as the media is painting.

byso said:
So I guess chery wants the club to get rid of 2 players so he can get his upgrade for this year.

That'll make him popular with the team.

Player "where's Rose and wolfman?"
DCE "they were sent to the bulldogs to pay for my upgrade"

That would be better than:

Player 1: "Where's DCE?"
Player 2: "Playing for Souths. Apparently he wasn't happy when we refused to pay him as much as our part-time winger and part-time bench prop."

DCE is bloody good. He deserves to be paid. If that means letting players go so be it. He is priority number 1 for mine, even ahead of Foran.

People still laugh at the Bulldogs for letting Thurston go all those years ago.

Judging by the way the team is being selected at the moment i would say George Rose must be on real thin ground and i for one wouldnt mind him moving on. It appears we are at long odds to keep Darcy Lussick and judging by Friday nights game the numbers being thrown at him are massive overs. There will be pain to keep the half's, and they must be kept. Personally i see Brett Stewart as a key retention as well and perhaps Whare will have to cover for Matai's departure as well. The other problem is we dont know how the bew TV deal is going to impact the salary cap but surely the raise to an agreement of 5 million (at the moment) gives us a little breathing room to re-sign some players. The $600,000 increase could surely be split to upgrade DEC and Foran's deal and allowing for some player cuts to keep Snake. Fingers crossed Perry can get these deals done ASAP.

To keep DCE is a must. We may have to let go of some of our other players, but as we are a team in a competition with a salary cap big decisions like this must be made. If we want continual success in the NRL we must keep both our halves at any cost.

It seems to me based on the numbers that are being bandied about for some players that the increase in player salaries is disproportionately higher than the expected increase in the cap that will come from the new TV deal. This could prove very costly for clubs who get their sums wrong.

What I don't want to see is us being penalized points for being over the current cap. Sure DCE deserves more money, I guess they all do, but I would hate to see our club being held to ransom by some over-stuffed managers who see their salary increasing through player payments.. The news re Matai departing is news to me. When did this rumor arise?

Damb it, is it bad that perry did not want to comment? The other thing is foran may only want to stay if dce stays. The salary cap may be on the verge of ripping the best half combination apart. Bad for manly and the game...

DSM5 said:
What I don't want to see is us being penalized points for being over the current cap. Sure DCE deserves more money, I guess they all do, but I would hate to see our club being held to ransom by some over-stuffed managers who see their salary increasing through player payments.. The news re Matai departing is news to me. When did this rumor arise?

I think once a fan's theory is mentioned on this forum more than five times it becomes generally accepted as fact DSM5.

MadMarcus said:
byso said:
So I guess chery wants the club to get rid of 2 players so he can get his upgrade for this year.

That'll make him popular with the team.

Player "where's Rose and wolfman?"
DCE "they were sent to the bulldogs to pay for my upgrade"

That would be better than:

Player 1: "Where's DCE?"
Player 2: "Playing for Souths. Apparently he wasn't happy when we refused to pay him as much as our part-time winger and part-time bench prop."

DCE is bloody good. He deserves to be paid. If that means letting players go so be it. He is priority number 1 for mine, even ahead of Foran.

People still laugh at the Bulldogs for letting Thurston go all those years ago.

Thurston leaving the dogs had very little to do with Money....

If it's a choice between DCE and Foran, then I'd sign DCE. Quality halfbacks are rare as hen's teeth.

At 29 and struggling the way he does with fitness I can't see rose getting resigned, so that might free up a few $$$

Players such as Lussick, Rose, Joe G and possibly even Matai might have to be set free. Although I thought Matai re-signed last year when there were talks that he was off to the sharks.

Increasing the salary cap won't necessarily help our club as it will also allow other clubs to offer more to the top tier players pricing them out of our clubs range.

The only fair option for all clubs is to have an increase in the salary cap exemption that should apply to all players and clubs :

1. Represent country or state - (this should be scaled depending on length of service at one club, i.e. 1 to 2 years 0% exemption, 3 to 5 years 15% exemption and so on)
2. Any player that is injured for a length of time the salary cap should not count towards that period of injury
3. Players that have been developed from junior ranks, a scaled exemption depending on the length of service at one club should apply
4. Players who have played for one club 8+ years, again a scaled exemption

Clubs should be rewarded in being able to manage keeping their players long term rather than being disadvantaged under the current system.

Just a question for anyone who may know.

Can a player get a release from the club even if there is nothing in the contract.

Lets say the player would like to leave and join an england club for example and Manly would also perhaps like the player to move on - if both parties agree can a release happen?

Haz88 said:
Just a question for anyone who may know.

Can a player get a release from the club even if there is nothing in the contract.

Lets say the player would like to leave and join an england club for example and Manly would also perhaps like the player to move on - if both parties agree can a release happen?

Simple answer is yes.

I find it hypocritcal that we get a thread like this saying lets ditch this player and that player to stay under the cap. Then when in another thread we are questioning players loyalty because they want maximum dollars.

Personally I'm over all this retention ****, I'm a manly fan so I'm going to focus on how great we have been so far this season and let the blokes in charge of this stuff like Tooves, Dave Perry and co look after this stuff. They will do what's right for manly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7