Daly bread: Sea Eagles in a bind over star's cut- price contract

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
HE'S the premiership-winning halfback and one of the hottest prospects in the NRL, yet Manly are baulking at a salary rise that would take him above the average wage of the competition.
The Herald understands Daly Cherry-Evans, the Manly halfback who has starred for the Sea Eagles in the opening rounds of the premiership, is on a base salary of under $100,000 for this season. Which makes him one of the most valuable commodities in the competition - one of the top players in the league at a bargain-basement price.

Read the full article

Wow, i knew we didn't have much money, but going broke. We have won 2 premierships in the last 3 years and have made no money, that sucks!

This can't continue with Daly, we must sign him up.

Would hate to be David Perry, some tough decisions need to be made, in regards, to who is coming and going.

Pretty **** that our long serving players may be forced out. The NRL need to get some special exemptions in place for loyalty.

The problem for the club is that they planned 2012's salary cap last year before dce's value soared. That makes it very difficult to offer an upgrade now. You have to remember the original contract was signed at 100k and everyone was happy. 100k was a risk on an unknown commodity. Turns out 100k was less than his worth, but you can't blame the club for that. We would be shouting if he was on 350k and turned out I be a dud. Not a fan on back ended contracts, but I see it as the only way to get him signed.
You need to look after your employees, especially ones like DCE. We need to be more proactive and extend contracts before players get close to contract expiring. DCE doesn't ern expire this year and he is already fielding calls from rival clubs. I hate that

DCE and Foran are number one priority. The retention of any other players is secondary. They are that important to our future.

dowdz said:
Wow, i knew we didn't have much money, but going broke. We have won 2 premierships in the last 3 years and have made no money, that sucks!

The article doesn't say we going broke, it says the club, meaning the team, is in danger of being broken up. The issue is the salary cap, not our being broke.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
dowdz said:

The article doesn't say we going broke, it says the club, meaning the team, is in danger of being broken up. The issue is the salary cap, not our being broke.

Thanks for the clarification SER8. 15 hours into a 16 hour shift and miss read the article lol.

So I guess chery wants the club to get rid of 2 players so he can get his upgrade for this year.

That'll make him popular with the team.

Player "where's Rose and wolfman?"
DCE "they were sent to the bulldogs to pay for my upgrade"

The 2 halves just have to be kept at all costs , i would love to keep all the guys but the fact is a pair of halves like our come along once in a lifetime.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
dowdz said:

Let's make this really clear we are no where remotely near being broke.
David Perry and his team have done an excellent job turning things around and into the black.

Dan79 said:
The problem for the club is that they planned 2012's salary cap last year before dce's value soared. That makes it very difficult to offer an upgrade now. You have to remember the original contract was signed at 100k and everyone was happy. 100k was a risk on an unknown commodity. Turns out 100k was less than his worth, but you can't blame the club for that. We would be shouting if he was on 350k and turned out I be a dud. Not a fan on back ended contracts, but I see it as the only way to get him signed.
You need to look after your employees, especially ones like DCE. We need to be more proactive and extend contracts before players get close to contract expiring. DCE doesn't ern expire this year and he is already fielding calls from rival clubs. I hate that

I agree. If it is going to take a back ended contract to keep DCE beyond 2013 then so be it. We all know there is going to be some pain (i.e. quality players released) so we can keep DCE & Foran. I hate that some of our current team will be forced out but that is the sad reality of a competition with a salary cap.

Pay him whatever he wants.

We'll have to make do by off-loading a few guys. I can't see him getting a massive contract upgrade for this season (obvious salary cap restrictions) but starting from next season, if he is not on $300,000+ then we may as well kiss him goodbye. Brisbane have the money, I’m sure of that.[/align]

The fact Manly will have to lose quality players is only because they have won premierships. I'd much rather that than to have been able to keep them all after winning nothing.
Even though they had their premierships stripped, you only have to look at the quality players that have left the storm since 2007. Inglis, Crocker, Folau, King, Turner, White, Johnson, Kafusi, Blair. Their fans must have hated that as much as we will hate losing some of our stars.

Dan79 said:

I'm not a fan of back ended contracts either, but it's a fair bet that the salary cap will increase substantially when the new TV rights are locked in. The players are going to want their cut of the pie and I don't think it's beyond reason for the clubs to be expecting something like a 6mil annual grant from the NRL.

This concerns me , the fact we havent been able to offer him a decent contract since August ! only allows more offers to come in else were for him and delaying everything.
What ever needs to be done to keep DCE and Foz i think needs to be done.

We have seen with melbourne and in the previous post they lost alot of players but since they were able to keep there spine they have always been successfull and will continue to push for the title, we retain DCE and Foran we will be always there or there abouts!!

byso said:
So I guess chery wants the club to get rid of 2 players so he can get his upgrade for this year.

Whare can cover for Williams and any number of props can cover for Rose

tookey said:
byso said:

Whare can cover for Williams and any number of props can cover for Rose

I don't think players like Rose and Wolfman are the ones that need to go. We need to lose a couple of players on huge money, because Foran and DCE are both commanding big bucks themselves. You can't replace a player on Rose's salary with a player like Foran. It doesn't add up. To sign Foran and DCE long term we need to shed a couple of marquee players. Our marquee players ATM include Choc, Lyon and both Stewies IMO. We probably need to lose two of these to keep DCE and Foran (our next two marquee players)

yeah but your not just taking there yearly salary its their salary over the years they are signed. 200k for 3 years 600 k free straight away. Thats why free up a couple of blokes then have some young players fill the void then there should be enough cash to extend the contracts ?? if it was that easy of course lol

Well we know Kite is going at the end of the year, so there's 250 - 300 or so a year.

What's the problem?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7