Cue the numbnuts .. 1st in .. Bryce Cartwright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Manly player Marty Taupau also had a similar stance after being among the 20 players who had not been vaccinated on Thursday. Taupau was vaccinated yesterday.

“My reasons are totally different to the anti-vaxxers or pro-vaxxers,” Taupau said. “It is not religious. My reasons are that many, many years ago – I believe it might have been 2013 – when I got there fun shot back, I had a really adverse reaction and was in hospital for days.

“I was more concerned about my health. I was worried that if I did get the flu shot again, I would be hospitalised. I may not be able to train, I may not be able to play. When that waiver came out, I said I am not going to get the flu shot.”

A host of players baulked at a clause within the initial waiver which had them “acknowledging and agreeing” to a range of conditions for refusing the flu vaccine. While that clause was modified to indicate they acknowledge and agree they have been advised by a doctor of the potential risk-factors by not being immunised, Taupau concerns were different.

“I sought legal advice,” Taupau said. “It had nothing to do with the four or five points that (other) players crossed out. You don’t want to sign something and then be sad and sorry afterwards. I was more concerned with my health and finding out what that whole ‘harmless’ clause meant.

“It is a concern if you sign it because you are made a liability if there is an outbreak in the league. You could ultimately be used because you pretty much sign that release form. That was my concern. I wanted to be more educated. That clause is so broad.

“I am not taking a stance. I am not an anti-vaxxer – we did our Christmas relief in Samoa with the measles disease over there.”

So peaceful where I am, everything seems a little unreal, but this story reminded me that the whole reason for the lockdowns and inconvenient protocols is that there's a new and dangerous disease which we don't fully understand yet, and its quickly spreading worldwide, and we don't yet have a cure.

A five-year-old boy in New York state has died of an illness linked to COVID-19, and dozens of other children in the state have fallen severely ill with a similar malady that scientists have linked to the coronavirus, Governor Andrew Cuomo says.

Governor Cuomo added there had been 73 reported cases in the state of children becoming severely ill with symptoms similar to Kawasaki disease — a rare inflammatory condition in children — and toxic shock syndrome.

"There has been at least one fatality because of this and there may be others that are now under investigation," he said.

"This is every parent's nightmare, right, that your child may actually be affected by this virus.

Read this on Facebook the other day.

"Imagine you were born in 1900. On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million. On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war. At 50, the Korean War starts. 5 million perish. At 55 the Vietnam War begins and doesn’t end for 20 years. 4 million people perish in that conflict. On your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, should have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening. When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? When you were a kid in 1985 and didn’t think your 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. And how mean that kid in your class was. Yet they survived through everything listed above. Perspective is an amazing art, refined as time goes on, and enlightening like you wouldn’t believe. Let’s try and keep things in perspective."

Thing or consideration is that there is no assurance or certainty that having a flu [ sorry flew ] shot can definitely prevent someone who receives it from still getting it in some form or severity . Not too sure if my regional area is indicative of other areas but can cite numerous cases of people who get the flu shot and still contract some form of flu . So with all of the preventative and health measures including temperature testing for all N R L players , really can not see how a flu shot is going to necessarily improve matters . No doubt a fair proportion of players would get the flu shot regardless and not saying that many people can not benefit from it and do receive a boost to their immune system . Do not think however in retrospect that if a player does express some genuine reservations and reasons in not getting the jab that they should be stood down and not when there are other very stringent protocols also applying .

Read this on Facebook the other day.

"Imagine you were born in 1900. On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million. On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war. At 50, the Korean War starts. 5 million perish. At 55 the Vietnam War begins and doesn’t end for 20 years. 4 million people perish in that conflict. On your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, should have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening. When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? When you were a kid in 1985 and didn’t think your 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. And how mean that kid in your class was. Yet they survived through everything listed above. Perspective is an amazing art, refined as time goes on, and enlightening like you wouldn’t believe. Let’s try and keep things in perspective."
Noticed this a few days ago and guess it shows just how relative many things are and the overall resilience and survival instinct of the human race . Not to mention previous thousands of years of it surviving numerous plagues and pestilences .

What exactly are the protocols? They haven't been made public (or if they have I must have missed it)
Temperature testing for a start before training . , plus the standard safe [ whatever that totally encompasses ] social and community guidelines [ but with a bit more scrutiny apparently .]

Thing or consideration is that there is no assurance or certainty that having a flu [ sorry flew ] shot can definitely prevent someone who receives it from still getting it in some form or severity . Not too sure if my regional area is indicative of other areas but can cite numerous cases of people who get the flu shot and still contract some form of flu . So with all of the preventative and health measures including temperature testing for all N R L players , really can not see how a flu shot is going to necessarily improve matters . No doubt a fair proportion of players would get the flu shot regardless and not saying that many people can not benefit from it and do receive a boost to their immune system . Do not think however in retrospect that if a player does express some genuine reservations and reasons in not getting the jab that they should be stood down and not when there are other very stringent protocols also applying .

Some people do get the flu after having the vaccine, but the idea is if that happens your immune response is quicker and more effective, so it’s less severe.

That, and so many people who tell you they or their kids or whoever had/have ‘the flu’ really had nothing more than a cold. The flu shot doesn’t give you any protection from the common cold, and it’s amazing how many people think they’re the same thing. Get the actual flu and you’ll know about it - I had it in 2012, and I was too weak to even stand up in the shower for days, not properly over it for weeks. Have had the flu shot every year since and never had it again, thankfully - although I often do feel a little bit tired and crappy for a day or so after the vax.

what if .... what if the numbnut who doesn't get the flu shot gets the flu ... trains with the team ... and the day before the game 8 of the 30 players present with mild flu systems and are immediately stood down for testing and placed in isolation for the mandatory 48 hours ... and all miss the game becuase of numbnut ...

I saw will hoppa on the news talking against vax

Last edited:
Temperature testing for a start before training . , plus the standard safe [ whatever that totally encompasses ] social and community guidelines [ but with a bit more scrutiny apparently .]
Except the standard guidelines are to keep 1.5m away from people, which obviously can't happen!
I assumed that the key elements of the NRL plan were about isolation and quarantine, and was just curious if you (or anyone) had heard just what those guidelines entailed?
(I get temperature testing as an early detection strategy, although it was shown to be very ineffective at airports simply because people can be contagious without being symptomatic)
No worries, i'm sure we'll learn a bit more as each day goes by.

You can always find an "expert" to give contrary view

The world is flat
Smoking is not harmful
Man did not land on the moon
Vaccination shots cause autism
Wearing a seat belt is dangerous (ok in some cases true. They may have saved 100,000's of lives not there are people who would not have died if they were not wearing a seatbelt)

Having a flu shot is unlikely to have any positive or negative health issues with the NRL players. Its about who they may pass the flu on to.

In this pandemic we are all ask to do things that appear to be a waste of time and of no benefit to anyone. Can be very frustrating. The flu shot is one of them. If those against the shot,have them speak to a real expert. If that person says it is bad for them, have them speak to the NRL on behave of the player.

Each year, on average 1000 to 2000 people in Australia die from influenza. I'm interested to see with all the flu shots, increased hygiene and isolation this figure, combined with COVID deaths is lower. Just a happier thought.

You can always find an "expert" to give contrary view

The world is flat
Smoking is not harmful
Man did not land on the moon
Vaccination shots cause autism
Wearing a seat belt is dangerous (ok in some cases true. They may have saved 100,000's of lives not there are people who would not have died if they were not wearing a seatbelt)

Having a flu shot is unlikely to have any positive or negative health issues with the NRL players. Its about who they may pass the flu on to.

In this pandemic we are all ask to do things that appear to be a waste of time and of no benefit to anyone. Can be very frustrating. The flu shot is one of them. If those against the shot,have them speak to a real expert. If that person says it is bad for them, have them speak to the NRL on behave of the player.

Each year, on average 1000 to 2000 people in Australia die from influenza. I'm interested to see with all the flu shots, increased hygiene and isolation this figure, combined with COVID deaths is lower. Just a happier thought.

Given that I understand that our flu follows from the Northern Hemisphere ... does the fact that we are unlikely to see any flights to Australia from there in the next 3/4 months mean that we will have a very mild flu season ??

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8