Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Getting back on topic for a bit ( yeah I know not easy) where does everyone think we sit as far as the game goes, are we done and dusted or is the proposed “ move to regional Queensland “ a serious consideration given the cost would be horrendous ( quite apart from having players agree to being away from the family for a considerable time).
I think a bigger problem with the Queensland idea would be getting families to move there for an entire season. Player partners would need to give up their own jobs and lives and move children away from friends, school and family.
You could potentially have separate Sydney and Brisbane? comps with players isolated and tested as much as possible. But it would be practically impossible to isolate players from their existing lives and unless the number and speed of tests greatly improves, testing would be impractical and even selfish.
I think it's toast for the year :(

I think a bigger problem with the Queensland idea would be getting families to move there for an entire season. Player partners would need to give up their own jobs and lives and move children away from friends, school and family.
You could potentially have separate Sydney and Brisbane? comps with players isolated and tested as much as possible. But it would be practically impossible to isolate players from their existing lives and unless the number and speed of tests greatly improves, testing would be impractical and even selfish.
I think it's toast for the year :(

Yes I think you've nailed it pretty much.

Would be fine if it was for 30 days but 6 months , I think there would be a riot!!

Yes I think you've nailed it pretty much.

Would be fine if it was for 30 days but 6 months , I think there would be a riot!!

Those on Adelaide radio this morning (shock horror, former AFL players) were already cracking jokes about there better not be any high schools around if they do go ahead from one location.

Pardon the pun but those two idiots from the Dogs screwed the pooch on that one and effed it up for everyone else.

I really can not see how they can go on with these interstate travel bans, chartered flights or not, and get around the 14 day self isolation period that the states and territories are imposing. Not to mention what others here have said which all boils down to being a logistical, financial and personal nightmare if they try and play from one location.

The worst part of this is the fact that the NRL have so badly mismanaged their finances for such a long time that we are now at crisis point if games don't get played because they rely on the revenue. They basically had zero put away for that "rainy day".

Last edited:
I don’t recall there being any mention of the families moving into isolation in QLD with the players and staff.

Surely, it would be just the players, club support staff and NRL officials. 6 months would be a long time to be away from the family but, as Scomo and other commentators are invoking the ANZAC spirit and WWII, consider that that generation were separated for years in many cases.

It’s not as desperate a situation as that yet( i.e WWII) but we definitely seem to be facing the biggest recession since the Great Depression, according to many commentators, so like then, big sacrifices will need to be made by many to keep bread on the table; the players may have no choice but to comply with an isolation situation if they want to keep some amount of income coming in for their families.

Attachments

• nWo.jpg
    nWo.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 5
As i alluded to in a previous post , can not see why this present relocation option can not be also seen through the prism of many N R L players being away on rep duties overseas or extended tours and so on . Not the majority but again what is the alternative for the players then if the code can not continue in it's current format , almost inevitable pay cuts , in the short term at least . I am sure that player"s wives or partners would be fairly conscious and influenced in the support sense for the relocation proposals with that reality . Maybe with the right quarantine protocol , players wives and partners can still have the occasional contact with them For single guys , well very tough times with any relocation scenario Six months relocation would be way too long in the practical sense however Also can not really see the merit of basing the players in a single location but northern Australia would still seem the most suited alternative . Still only very limited instances of reported virus infection in regions north of Rocky . Also plenty of accommodation locations where i am sure that significantly reduced rates could be negotiated . maybe the players could or should contribute for their food bill [ as they would have to in their normal home locations . . Cairns , Townsville , Mackay , Rockhampton and Gladstone , plenty of viable and separate location options there

QLD just shut our borders so they’d better make up their minds REALLY QUICKLY.
[/QUOTE But that would not apply for charted flights with the right authorization and acceptable circumstances would it ? There would be still plenty of commercial . passenger and cargo flights interstate still necessary one would think . Also curious about private air craft inter state travel . Road borders to be strictly monitored for sure , again not too sure about sea and air craft movements .

Recession ?You think? 800 metres long at 830 am Monday morning, first day of lockdown in a suburb with a population of 50000. . But this is primarily an elderly heath issue is t it.
Well it’s about to become a whole lot more
If you think the majority will cop this then think again Bear. I wonder how many of the bleeding heart brigade who thinks this is solely about saving eledrtly lives are in that little line.Thry have ****ed this entirely. The old should have been tucked away and protected three months ago and now everyone is shot to bits.

Susan. Lets be realistic here. There are almost half a million people living in Australia 85 years and over, over 4 million 60 and over, over 7 million 50 and over. How do you isolate up to one third of the population that, as you say, are more at risk, without impacting on the community as a whole. Sure those under 25 are at least risk, but they still died according to figures at 1-2 per thousand. Aged 35 and the risk is somewhat higher. Tucking away such a huge number of people is near impossible. Besides as mentioned, children at school will carry the illness home to their parents and along the line.

This is not a minor illness. It kills, and it kills a lot of the young, though not proportionately as many obviously as the old. I mentioned the death rate for Spanish Flu, which based on figures available was 2.5%. This illness is suggested at 3.4% at this stage. Almost 100 million died from Spanish flu, more they say than both WW1 and WW2 casualties. Check out the photos of the time.

Having read many books on plagues in the past purely out of interest and research well before this event started, I'm familiar with just how devastating these events can be. The Bubonic Plague of 1347-50 for example changed the economic structure of Europe completely, dismantling the feudal system. Whole communities just disappeared. Not all are anywhere near that severe but these are usually once in a hundred year events, and they can be devastating if not checked. Countries around the World are quickly finding that the only effective way to deal with it is to shut things down and limit movement of the population. That is the best way to burn it out. Other options suggested have no doubt been considered and dismissed. Peoples health must have greater importance than economics. Better to be poorer and alive than wealthier and dead.

Serious plagues like those over the past century or so, kill in the millions such as the 1890, 1919, 1957 plagues and of course AIDS which has killed 32 million minimum. They are not to be understated.

We get scared when wars are on our door steps. Plagues are far more lethal than wars, but being silent killers, behind closed doors and unseen, we take them less seriously.

The news are saying that the MyGov site was hacked.
And to think people just thought this was going to be a health issue. Our whole system of government and asset ownership does not allow for massive unemployment.

Little fact worth noting
2008 Sub prime crash mortgages made up 15 percent of banking system in US and unemployment reached 12 percent.

2020 Pandemic recession mortgages in Australia make up 60 percent of banking system and unemployment estimates go up to thirty percent.

Hope it’s all worth it folks.

Last edited:
Susan. Lets be realistic here. There are almost half a million people living in Australia 85 years and over, over 4 million 60 and over, over 7 million 50 and over. How do you isolate up to one third of the population that, as you say, are more at risk, without impacting on the community as a whole. Sure those under 25 are at least risk, but they still died according to figures at 1-2 per thousand. Aged 35 and the risk is somewhat higher. Tucking away such a huge number of people is near impossible. Besides as mentioned, children at school will carry the illness home to their parents and along the line.

This is not a minor illness. It kills, and it kills a lot of the young, though not proportionately as many obviously as the old. I mentioned the death rate for Spanish Flu, which based on figures available was 2.5%. This illness is suggested at 3.4% at this stage. Almost 100 million died from Spanish flu, more they say than both WW1 and WW2 casualties. Check out the photos of the time.

Having read many books on plagues in the past purely out of interest and research well before this event started, I'm familiar with just how devastating these events can be. The Bubonic Plague of 1347-50 for example changed the economic structure of Europe completely, dismantling the feudal system. Whole communities just disappeared. Not all are anywhere near that severe but these are usually once in a hundred year events, and they can be devastating if not checked. Countries around the World are quickly finding that the only effective way to deal with it is to shut things down and limit movement of the population. That is the best way to burn it out. Other options suggested have no doubt been considered and dismissed. Peoples health must have greater importance than economics. Better to be poorer and alive than wealthier and dead.

Serious plagues like those over the past century or so, kill in the millions such as the 1890, 1919, 1957 plagues and of course AIDS which has killed 32 million minimum. They are not to be understated.
So we can’t isolate the old but we can isolate 25 million ! What cool aid you on Bear. In Italy the average death age is still 80 amidst all those deaths so unless my math is wrong that means one thing. And they are government figures. Of course there will be casualties. That’s how life has always been. Millions of kids were sacrificed in the war to protect women and children and the future and we have seven dead !!! Would you like to estimate the number of third world deaths from poverty and starvation from a global recession. Will dwarf this by hundreds of thousands but they don’t matter do they because they are always dying, year in year out.

My whole point was isolate the old two months ago. Too late now.

Now they have created a civil unrest time mob as people lose jobs and hope.

Walk outside mate. Join the real world. Ghost town.Welfare system just crashed. You obviously have a job.
I’d be very wary of what those who don’t are thinking right now.

Last edited:
At least Manly is the only [ and established ] franchise in Sydney"s north and to Newcastle so would only expect any N R L administration to maintain a presence there [ maybe with government help eventually or in any worst case scenario ] . Also would hardly think that the Bears or central coast would be taken seriously as an alternative franchise there .

And to think people just thought this was going to be a health issue. Our whole system of government and asset ownership does not allow for massive unemployment.

Little fact worth noting
2008 Sub prime crash mortgages made up 25 percent of banking system
2020 Pandemic recession mortgages in Australia make up 60 percent of banking system !!

Hope it’s all worth it folks.
Very sobering figures . The banks have already apparently announced some likely relief measures . If they take a hit or their share holders , such is life . Any G F C American style bail out would be on another dimension again however .

So we can’t isolate the old but we can isolate 25 million ! What cool aid you on Bear. In Italy the average death age is still 80 amidst all those deaths so unless my math is wrong that means one thing. And they are government figures. And my whole point was isolate the old two months ago. Too late now.

Now they have rested a civil unrest time mob as people lose jobs and hope.

Walk outside mate. Join the real world. Ghost town.Welfare system just crashed. You obviously have a job.
I’d be very wary of what those who don’t are thinking right now.

yes Susan,. It is far easier to create an isolation of peoples within a country than to isolate millions individually, one by one. Do you think medical people and governments havent thought of that. You can enforce isolation of the population by shutting down places where people congregate and contain movements to a large degree. Not perfect but more achiebale than one by one.. That's much easier than trying to isolate specific people, and their activities. But look about the World and ask the question. Why arent they acting in the manner you suggest? Its not me who is making the decision. Its people who know far more than me or you.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8