Cooper Johns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would have thought at this stage we’d be holding spot 30 for a forward , who might come either now or even before the end of June.

I’m not sure John’s is any better than young Humphreys so I’m not sure of the logic behind this one.
Yes in no way an exciting signing but... If DCE went down and an untried Humphreys was all we had... better to have another cheap option, with a few NRL games behind him, and at least used to training in a very professional squad at Storm. I guess.

Yes in no way an exciting signing but... If DCE went down and an untried Humphreys was all we had... better to have another cheap option, with a few NRL games behind him, and at least used to training in a very professional squad at Storm. I guess.
That "s probably it , and would have to be on the cheap side , Then the new cap arrangements , wonder how many existing contracts are going to be influenced by that development

Sport Confidential: Manly’s Cooper Johns signing comes with a catch

The Sea Eagles have beefed up their halves depth with the recruitment of Cooper Johns, but there’s a hitch with his contract — read SPORT CONFIDENTIAL for all the latest NRL news.

Michael Carayannis and Brent Read

Cooper Johns will join Manly – but like Matt Lodge at the Roosters – he will be restricted to a train-and-trial deal until the NRL finalises its salary cap.

Johns will go into the top-30 squad when the salary cap figure is finally resolved but the Sea Eagles are taking a cautious approach until then.

The Roosters have been forced to do something similar with Lodge as clubs juggle the uncertainty around the cap.

Johns met Sea Eagles staff this week in what shapes as a return for the local junior. He played and captained Manly’s SG Ball side before joining the Storm where he featured in 11 games.

Johns will provide cover for Daly Cherry-Evans and push Josh Schuster for a starting spot.

If it was not for his family name you would not be hearing anything about this whatsoever.

Still he must not be too bad if he was selected to play 11 times for the storm despite any injuries they had. Bellamy would have completely hooked him if he was totally out of sorts in FG.
I am sure he is much better than Jye Mullane :)

Next in will be Kyle Flanagan .I am sick of hearing experience over young talented footballers .you should be able to play FG if you are in the top 30 .Give Weekes, Humphreys and Latu a go before Johns or Flanagan .

Nothing wrong with competition for spots ... if Humphrey's and Latu can't see off a challenge from Johns ... then they don't deserve to be there ...

And you give a go to the bloke who has put up his hand, by deed and desire ... not because it is someone's "turn" like in the u/6's ....

This is a strange one. Unless he can play hooker, this seems like a wasted spot. Still missing critical depth at 9, 2nd row, and I would say even outside backs before that needed in the halves. By all counts, that makes 30. So what are the train and trial players playing for? I think we could still offer a couple of dev. contracts but someone like Roache misses out? Would have been wiser to keep 1 available you would think

This is a strange one. Unless he can play hooker, this seems like a wasted spot.
Winning is Everything at Manly and the Whinging only stops when the Winning starts

The recruiters will either be vindicated or crucified by their choices of players

The recruiters deserve the benefit of the doubt and we hope they have made the right player choices
for the sake of our legendary club

Nothing wrong with competition for spots ... if Humphrey's and Latu can't see off a challenge from Johns ... then they don't deserve to be there ...

And you give a go to the bloke who has put up his hand, by deed and desire ... not because it is someone's "turn" like in the u/6's ....
My point is to be in the top 30 suggests you are good to play FG and should be given the opportunity next when the starting players are injured .Sorry but this is FG , not u/6's where the coach's son , coach's relatives , coach's friends son etc .gets to play instead of better players .

My point is to be in the top 30 suggests you are good to play FG and should be given the opportunity next when the starting players are injured .Sorry but this is FG , not u/6's where the coach's son , coach's relatives , coach's friends son etc .gets to play instead of better players .

You're arguing against yourself .. yes it's FG .. so no one is entitled to the next opportunity .. the jersey goes to who deserves it .. regardless of whether he has a famous name or not.

If Latu can play as dominantly in FG as he did in the juniors ... I doubt John's will be a threat to him ...

If they are all in the 30 .. may the best man win

You're arguing against yourself .. yes it's FG .. so no one is entitled to the next opportunity .. the jersey goes to who deserves it .. regardless of whether he has a famous name or not.

If Latu can play as dominantly in FG as he did in the juniors ... I doubt John's will be a threat to him ...

I was only thinking that we might be better off giving the spot to a prop, centre or hooker and am also a believer that if the best man wins , the team wins .Bring on 2023 .

And what excites me about this new coaching set up is I think they will pick on “ May the best man win “ rather than just sticking loyal , regardless!!

If we have real competition for spots right across the 30 then it’s “ game on “.

I was only thinking that we might be better off giving the spot to a prop, centre or hooker and am also a believer that if the best man wins , the team wins .Bring on 2023 .
I think we all agree with your first two lines.

Doubt we’ll get a top line prop in 23 but I hopeful for 24.

Hooker , Mmmm not many available is there !!

Centre , of course we’d love a Joey Manu but we do have some red hot youngsters and maybe one of them is the next big name.

This, 100%

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4