Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... so good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
My 2024 best side would be (fully fit of course)

FB - Tom Trbojevic
WG - Jason Saab
CE - Reuben Garrick
CE - Tolu Koula
WG - Jaxson Paulo
FE - Luke Brooks
HB - Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
PR - Taniela Paseka
HK - Lachlan Croker
PR - Jake Trbojevic
SR - Haumole Olakau'atu
SR - Ben Trbojevic
LK - Josh Schuster

Bench (from) - Gordon Chan Kum Tong, Matt Lodge, Kelma Tuilagi, Toff Sipley, Sean Keppie, Josh Aloiai, Brad Parker, Karl Lawton, Ethan Bullemor, Dean Matterson.

Provided that we can remain relatively healthy, especially key players like Turbo, I think that Seibold coached side can challenge and maybe ... maybe win a premiership.

I like Froggy so I kinda hate to say this ... but we really should be in the market for a quality hooker / dummy half. People who think Gordon is the answer should watch him in defence for Blacktown sometime.....

If Trevor is our best starting 2nd rower we're in trouble

If Trevor is our best starting 2nd rower we're in trouble

If that the only issue you see you are lucky.

Garrick is a fringe first grader on ability, but an excellent goal kicker. Should only ever be a winger.

There are other problems but we have been through them 100 times.

Not that it would have made much difference with the result but I would just like to point out that although this years 32-6 loss to the Broncos was supposedly a home game for us, it wasn't because it was Magic Round that was played on the Broncos home turf of Suncorp Stadium.
Sorry mate, my post wasn't clear. All the home references refer to away games.

If that the only issue you see you are lucky.

Garrick is a fringe first grader on ability, but an excellent goal kicker. Should only ever be a winger.

There are other problems but we have been through them 100 times.
1 Turbo
2 Garrick
3 Talau/Paulo,Wright
4 Koula
5 Saab
6 Brooks
7 DCE
8 Paseka
9 Croker
10 Jake
11 Haumole
12 Schuster
13 Matterson, Ben T, ???

14 GCKT
15 Lodge
16 Keppie/Aloia/Toff
17 Another more mobile prop.

Let's see if Seibold 2024 with a lineup of
1. Turbo
2. Saab
3. Garrick
4. Koula
5. Tui/Paulo
6. Brookes
7. Dce
8. Paseka
9. Croker/GCKT
10. Jake T
11. Olakau'atu
12. Tuilagi/Bulle/Ben T
13. Schuster
14. GCKT/ Matterson
15. Aloiai/Sipley/Lodge
16. Keppie
17. Bullemore/Ben T

Can do better with limited injuries. If not then bye bye spoon.

Sorry mate, but we need a hooker and two marquee new forwards. Those forwards ain't going to cut the mustard - and if that's the squad, we'll be 14th - 16th again.

Not that it would have made much difference with the result but I would just like to point out that although this years 32-6 loss to the Broncos was supposedly a home game for us, it wasn't because it was Magic Round that was played on the Broncos home turf of Suncorp Stadium.
I absolutely hate giving up a home ground game to play the broncs on their home ground, why can't the powers that be make it Brisbane's home game that round, giving up home ground advantage every year to them really p1sses me off🤬🤬🤬

I wanted to wait till our season was done before judging Seibold’s 1st season as coach. Now it’s done, and it’s hard to give a pass mark because he missed the finals. Nevertheless, plenty of good signs that auger well for next year:

*Results improved 20% from last year (11.5 wins v 9)

*Squad camaraderie – took a big hit last year. From the start Seibold focussed on getting the squad together and connected and seems to have worked.

*Has been deliberate about increasing competition for spots. He’s prepared to drop players, from starting or even completely. Harper, Johns, Sipley, Weekes, Keppie, Condon, Aloia, Bullemor, Tuipulotu, Arthur, Tuilagi, and Schuster, all relegated at some stage. Also, he gave opportunities to players that shone in trials – Johns, Weekes, Tuaimalo Vaega.

*Quickly recognised areas that needed bolstering mid-season and added depth to halves, props

*Made an early call on Gordie - needed a season against men in reserves, but confirmed way back in March for next year’s top 30

*Prepared to reward no-name reserves with selection – Dean Matterson

*Prepared to make big calls about the roster, including releasing players and reshaping the side by signing Brooks

*Not shy to publicly comment, speaks calmly (except after Warriors game) and openly in public, even about Schu’s issues

*Prepared to think outside the square – employ bold tactics such as R23 v Panthers

*Produced Manly’s best start to a season in about 15 years – winning both trials and our first 2 games

*Got wins against last year’s grand finalist Eels, as well as top 8 sides Storm, Sharks, Raiders and Chooks and a draw with Top 8 Knights, also big wins v old enemy Dogs

*Some individuals clearly improved – Paseka, Koula, Croker, Garrick, Sipley, Burbo, Tuaimalo Vaega. Even our oldest player DCE had possibly his best season

*Finished the season quite strongly, and with a bit of grit and style, winning 5 of our last 9, and only losing in tight games against strong sides Cows, Chooks, Panthers and Warriors.

Some negatives of course...

*Missed Top 8, which is basically the core goal!

*Team wasn’t consistent in attack

*Team wasn’t consistent in defence - let in almost 23 PPG, so that’s the biggest area to work on, I reckon

Comparison

2022 – played 24, won 9, lost 15, points for 490, against 595, diff -105

2023 – played 24 games, won 11 and a draw, lost 12, points for 545, against 539, diff +6

Conclusion: I’ll give him another year!

I wanted to wait till our season was done before judging Seibold’s 1st season as coach. Now it’s done, and it’s hard to give a pass mark because he missed the finals. Nevertheless, plenty of good signs that auger well for next year:

*Results improved 20% from last year (11.5 wins v 9)

*Squad camaraderie – took a big hit last year. From the start Seibold focussed on getting the squad together and connected and seems to have worked.

*Has been deliberate about increasing competition for spots. He’s prepared to drop players, from starting or even completely. Harper, Johns, Sipley, Weekes, Keppie, Condon, Aloia, Bullemor, Tuipulotu, Arthur, Tuilagi, and Schuster, all relegated at some stage. Also, he gave opportunities to players that shone in trials – Johns, Weekes, Tuaimalo Vaega.

*Quickly recognised areas that needed bolstering mid-season and added depth to halves, props

*Made an early call on Gordie - needed a season against men in reserves, but confirmed way back in March for next year’s top 30

*Prepared to reward no-name reserves with selection – Dean Matterson

*Prepared to make big calls about the roster, including releasing players and reshaping the side by signing Brooks

*Not shy to publicly comment, speaks calmly (except after Warriors game) and openly in public, even about Schu’s issues

*Prepared to think outside the square – employ bold tactics such as R23 v Panthers

*Produced Manly’s best start to a season in about 15 years – winning both trials and our first 2 games

*Got wins against last year’s grand finalist Eels, as well as top 8 sides Storm, Sharks, Raiders and Chooks and a draw with Top 8 Knights, also big wins v old enemy Dogs

*Some individuals clearly improved – Paseka, Koula, Croker, Garrick, Sipley, Burbo, Tuaimalo Vaega. Even our oldest player DCE had possibly his best season

*Finished the season quite strongly, and with a bit of grit and style, winning 5 of our last 9, and only losing in tight games against strong sides Cows, Chooks, Panthers and Warriors.

Some negatives of course...

*Missed Top 8, which is basically the core goal!

*Team wasn’t consistent in attack

*Team wasn’t consistent in defence - let in almost 23 PPG, so that’s the biggest area to work on, I reckon

Comparison

2022 – played 24, won 9, lost 15, points for 490, against 595, diff -105

2023 – played 24 games, won 11 and a draw, lost 12, points for 545, against 539, diff +6

Conclusion: I’ll give him another year!
Great summary counsellor, I would only add he was too slow to put Koula at 1 and only did so after Reubs injury, on the other hand I think he has been very patient with Gordy and timed his introduction perfectly tbh , and I think with a Croker Gordy 1-2 punch we will be much more potent in go foward , which should lead to the likes of TT , Koula, Schu hopefully , etc running riot

Another positive from my perspective has been the use of the lower grades. Last few seasons you didn't get picked in the 17 you didn't play. This season the team and I am including the lower grade coaches have made some tactical selections. We know Humphreys is a prospect half back, but look who he has in front of him (at the time Latu as well). We are short of 14s who can play dummy half, cover the halves, so play him in Flegg and Workers teach him against boys, hone him against men then blood him in trials next year and see how he goes. Apart from that they keep them match fit for the call up, eg Toff.

Agree that it’s perhaps a failure in regards to making the finals but as others have said, Seibold has shown he’s willing to select based on form & to give our young talent a go at the right time.

There’s been a lot of despair regarding the young players we’ve let go recently but when you look at the squad Seibold has put together out of what he inherited & who he’s brought in, I think he’s got the right balance of older experienced players & youth coming through.

Woods & Lodge have no doubt been good for Toff, Keppie, Paseka, etc.

Brooks next year will be good for Schuster & Arthur.

I’m cautiously excited for next year.

Great summation.

Parker needs not to be first string centre next year

Woods only in crisis. I’m talking biblical proportions

Gordie and croker in tandem

Sipley needs to maintain his end of season rage

Paeseka continue his upward trajectory

Aloai needs to shape up or ship out

Schuster needs to come back for and focused

Tom needs some luck

All this and the club and seibold are in for a successful 24

For me in terms of results not making the 8 it's a Fail. Having said that given our injuries to key personnel he deserves another year with the roster he has built.

I think he has done well. I would actually extend him another year. He has shown enough for me to give him three more years. Give him some additional stability.

He’s a good bloke and has shown he can coach.

Isn't it time to change the title of this thread back to what it was originally?

Coach Spoonbold thoughts so far....

Finished 11th last year after Pride Fiasco, finished 12th this year and that's called improvement by some......That'll do me..

Finished 11th last year after Pride Fiasco, finished 12th this year and that's called improvement by some......That'll do me..
Injuries to our props basically ruined our season, we were just starting to come good and then we lost Paseka and Lodge in quick succession.

Losing Turbo was a big hit too but I'm less worried for next year because Koula has showed that he is the answer there.

My only criticism of Siebold is that I think he should have dropped Schuster earlier.

11 wins and 1 draw vs 9 wins with 7 straight losses to finish the year.. might not be an improvement on the ladder but it's definitely an improvement overall

Great summary on Seibold above. Did some good things, some not so good things but I'm glad he showed he wasn't stuck in his ways like Des was. Should be judged more fairly next year after he's had a year with the squad, brought in a few players of his choosing and hopefully we aren't crippled by injury again. I think we're heading in the right direction and if you watch teams like the Tigers, Dogs and Dragons each week you realise things could be much worse

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10