Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... so good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
They are not the sole reason a club wins the title, the spoon, makes the 8 or doesn't.
You have made some interesting points in your post feathered friend

And your above line is where clubs draw the line in the sand when the team fails to be competitive

The fact is and History has proven time and time again
the coach Always gets sacked as he is accountable for his teams results

A coach is only good if he has a good team. Look at Ivan Cleary for instance he failed at the Tigers and 1st stint at the Panthers. He did well at the Warriors and now at his 2nd stint at Panthers looks like the greatest coach ever.

Couldn't agree more. In terms of understanding the game and analysing a side's performance and flaws, probably there isn't a lot of difference not just among NRL coaches but even lower tier coaches.

However, definitely some coaches inspire, just by their reputation or aura or whatever. If a club hires a Bennett, or got Bellamy, the whole joint would instantly be wide awake and excited expecting success and determined to take advantage of the opportunity, can almost become a self fulfilling prophecy. Titans no doubt counting on a little of that magic in signing Des, whether he's still got it remains to be seen.

Most others though, for various reasons, might begin with the players full attention and belief but for whatever reason can't sustain that when things turn bad.

I reckon there's a couple of myths around coaching. One is that Manly needs a Manly coach. Another is that a coach must be stern and get angry or even intimidate players in order to be successful.

As for Seibold I'll wait till our season's done before assessing his first year, meanwhile happy to support him and see how it unfolds. We do need a strong finish though.
agree.

I don’t think Kevin Walters would have the Tigers pushing for the top of the ladder, but he’s got some outstanding athletes at Brisbane and they’re doing great things.

Then you’ve got Robinson at the Chooks, a three time premiership winning coach, but the Chooks are going to miss the 8. I doubt he’s suddenly forgotten how to coach. More like the roster is lacking in key positions.

Cleary struggled at the Tigers but has built a dynasty at the Panthers.

You’ve got Bennett struggling with his Dolphins conceding 50+ points on occasions this year…not something we saw from his teams when his rosters were stronger.

Then you’ve Bellamy who is battling to get Melbourne to play consistently week in week out against the top sides this year because of his inexperienced forward pack.

Of course, Bellamy has done amazing things to develop some average players. No two coaches are necessarily equal but one things for sure, the roster consists of 30 variables, the coach is one man.

What I find encouraging about Thursday’s game is that it was evident that Seibold developed a functional game plan for it that had some success against a red hot team.

It makes it apparent that he does work on game plans when you look back at how we played the Roosters (wrong game plan with Schuster staying on his side the whole game) compared to others where Schuster has roamed right & left sides.

At least we’re seeing some variation in game plans (right or wrong) compared to seeing the same old one out hit up x 4 then kick that we used to see under Des.

People say give Seibold time, here's two points I will raise that he is not the right coach:

• He won't be able to entice game winning / premiership calibre players from winning clubs to come here unless he pays a fortune for them...and even money is no guarantee they will come here.
  • He can bring in youth, but as far as developing them he doesn't seem to have that ability. Young players won't sign on if they can't develop their game under a good coach that will only see their potential being hampered as well as their long term market value as a player.

People say give Seibold time, here's two points I will raise that he is not the right coach:

• He won't be able to entice game winning / premiership calibre players from winning clubs to come here unless he pays a fortune for them...and even money is no guarantee they will come here.
  • He can bring in youth, but as far as developing them he doesn't seem to have that ability. Young players won't sign on if they can't develop their game under a good coach that will only see their potential being hampered as well as their long term market value as a player.
Good players will always be open to joining a club that is going places. Manly's main problem going back to 2016 (yep the Barrett years, incidentally he was the last one to entice those 'game-winning/premiership calibre players' lol) is that we improve one year but fall back the next. For various reasons, including shambolic front office.

And I'm not sure why you say Seibold hampers development of young players. (If think Koula Saab and Burbo have gone backwards this year, I disagree.)

If Manly finishes strongly this year and goes even better next year then I see no reason we won't be an attractive destination for talent, both established and potential.

So far we are 11th on the ladder which is where we finished last season after having the season derailed by rainbowgate... I'm hopeful we win the remaining games but I think we are on the ladder where we should be. I can't be slapping sideboard on the back for a job well done because he's done nothing to meet his KPI's.

Good players will always be open to joining a club that is going places. Manly's main problem going back to 2016 (yep the Barrett years, incidentally he was the last one to entice those 'game-winning/premiership calibre players' lol) is that we improve one year but fall back the next. For various reasons, including shambolic front office.

And I'm not sure why you say Seibold hampers development of young players. (If think Koula Saab and Burbo have gone backwards this year, I disagree.)

If Manly finishes strongly this year and goes even better next year then I see no reason we won't be an attractive destination for talent, both established and potential.
Fair points, I agree with much of this.

So far we are 11th on the ladder which is where we finished last season after having the season derailed by rainbowgate... I'm hopeful we win the remaining games but I think we are on the ladder where we should be. I can't be slapping sideboard on the back for a job well done because he's done nothing to meet his KPI's.
Our season was over before rainbowgate

My biggest disappointment with recruitment concerns Sam Fainu (not so much Latu). I can understand the Brooks signing because we are not gonna have DCE forever and Schu is not performing at 6. However, Fainu has spent a number of years playing middle (as well as edge) and has the leg speed and offload that we could really benefit from. He is a leaner version of Payne Haas. It's a shame we didn't hold onto him.
Agree

How so? I remember we were right in the finals mix until the rainbow unicorn blessed us with its presence. Below is a snippet from Fox at the time.

Des Hasler’s side were firmly in the finals race in Round 20 and a win against the Roosters was crucial to mounting a late charge, but without Josh Aloiai, Jason Saab, Christian Tuipulotu, Josh Schuster, Haumole Olaka’uatu Olakau’atu, Tolutau Koula and Toafofoa Sipley Manly were bested 20-10.

You must be thinking of a different season. We were nine wins and nine losses at that point with a plus 18 points differential, and we basically played the entire season without Tom. Spoony had Turbo for three more games this season. Some folks just make sh1t up.

I don't believe that Flanagan should be a part of our set-up anymore, I don't think his heart or his mind have been with Manly since signing with the Goons
Finally, you are starting to see the cracks in our current coaching set up.

That's quite a deviation from a few weeks ago Ronald.

He's still talking finals. This club is so fuking disconnected from reality. The delusion of adequacy in this place is beyond a joke. Seibold has no fuking idea and we are now sentenced to more years of mediocrity and failure.

Agreed. People forget we had some really awful results before that week including the capitulation against the Cowboys, the Harper/Talakai game, 0-38 at Magic Round etc. Even the week before we went down to an ordinary Dragons side. Obviously the rainbow fiasco didn’t help but I think we ran into some better sides after then who rightfully beat us, point is we were hardly flying

With Seibold, on one hand you could say this year was essentially a write-off once Tommy went down, on the other you could say we need a better plan for it given it pretty much happens every year. Other new coaches usually need some time to implement what they want so I’m willing to cut him a bit of slack, and to be perfectly fair our roster is so imbalanced and wouldn’t be easy to coach/manage (saying this as the idiot signed and is playing Aaron Woods every week)

Excited for next season though as it’s literally do or die for his coaching career and there really is no excuse - he’s had a year now, Brooks is coming, Tom will start the season healthy. Don’t care who’s in the 17 each week or who is coaching, we all just want to see this team be successful again. And I know people clown Penn for saying we’re in a premiership window, but I’d hope we are given where our salary cap is currently tied up

Agreed. People forget we had some really awful results before that week including the capitulation against the Cowboys, the Harper/Talakai game, 0-38 at Magic Round etc. Even the week before we went down to an ordinary Dragons side. Obviously the rainbow fiasco didn’t help but I think we ran into some better sides after then who rightfully beat us, point is we were hardly flying

With Seibold, on one hand you could say this year was essentially a write-off once Tommy went down, on the other you could say we need a better plan for it given it pretty much happens every year. Other new coaches usually need some time to implement what they want so I’m willing to cut him a bit of slack, and to be perfectly fair our roster is so imbalanced and wouldn’t be easy to coach/manage (saying this as the idiot signed and is playing Aaron Woods every week)

Excited for next season though as it’s literally do or die for his coaching career and there really is no excuse - he’s had a year now, Brooks is coming, Tom will start the season healthy. Don’t care who’s in the 17 each week or who is coaching, we all just want to see this team be successful again. And I know people clown Penn for saying we’re in a premiership window, but I’d hope we are given where our salary cap is currently tied up
You need to stick to the facts.

Prior to Rainbow gate our worst results last year were
28-6 loss to Penrith at home
40-22 loss to the Rabbits at home
38-0 loss to Brisbane at home
28-6 loss to Melbourne at home

This year our worst defeats are
44-12 loss to Penrith at home
32-6 loss to Brisbane at home
34-4 loss to Eels at home
26-10 loss to Titans at Brookvale

Yep spot on, some people like the bloke above for whatever reason seem to think we were in a great spot before it. Lunacy.

Yep spot on, some people like the bloke above for whatever reason seem to think we were in a great spot before it. Lunacy.
No, I don't think we were in a great spot before rainbow gate. Where did I post that? You are making sh1t up again. But we were in a much better spot than we are now. In ninth position and right in the finals mix as reported by multiple media outlets.

You claim the facts I have presented are lunacy, which only highlights the perplexing power of denial.

We have all been there at one time or another, trying to show a friend or stranger an obvious error in their thinking only to be rebuffed by some inane rationalization. It’s exasperating. It’s truly an exercise in futility to argue with someone when the facts don’t matter. Denial is like that. Once some people get an idea fixed in their head, they can’t let go of it. They fight reality to the bitter end.

Changing one’s thought process or behavior isn’t easy. Anyone who has tried to break a bad habit or develop a good one knows this all too well. Change only gets harder as the stakes rise. The hardest thing to change is one’s worldview, even in the slightest way. Some people are incapable of doing it.

Coaching approach and tactics seemed a bit all over the place at times or almost as inconsistent as many of Manly "s efforts for much of the season even allowing for some important outs at times .
Not good in the face of some adversity at times also but not sure how much the proportionate input of both Siebold or Flanaghan would have come into this
Credit where credit is due for a long overdue adjustment in Manly "s overall attacking game against the Panthers recently
Defensively , line speed could have been much more committed and better at times but also has had some decent resilience at times which can be or in some ways undoubtedly attributed to the coaching approach and to Siebold .
Still a few games to go to get the side to maintain a fair degree of competitiveness .
Next season and hopefully a fit and regularly available Turbo , Brooks to add some better continuity at 6 , in other words a better functioning spine and less disruption with key injuries ,
Then can very hopefully be better prospects for Siebold and if his coaching [ or appropriate coaching input ] can contribute then in a positive way and better results also in the mix

The week Broncos trounced us was the week Hasler and playing group were made aware that against their wishes, Foran was being forced out.

I don't think people realise the short leash and conditions Des was forced with. Why does Seibold get more autonomy? Penn is an insecure hypocrite.

But I digress... 2019 we were actually heading for top 4 before Turbo and other key injuries at end of season. A monumental effort considering the backline and youth we had (people forget just how successful that was after the shocking Barrett years). 2021 we all know. But if you look closer at last year, we were starting to play a little grittier, and were learning to play without Turbo, not just win, but actually play - tactically, and more importantly, belief-wise. Just before jerseygate, we were starting to make a decent go of things. I think people assumed 2021 style would continue, but 2022 was about building starch.

With all the advantages Des was not afforded, better luck with injuries, experienced assistants, no disastrous ofd-field distractions out of a coach's control, etc etc Seibold has us finishing worse than last year.

I will repeat that, Seibold has us finishing worse off than last year. And he is all smiles. Has everyone on the northern beaches gone mad?

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8