Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... so good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don’t care who the coach is as long as we winning and are at least contenders. I don’t doubt Seibolds smarts as a coach. A good coach needs to work within the strengths and weaknesses of the team and ensure there is capability to match and essentially execute any game plan. I am not convinced Seibs is doing this but rather coaching to an ideal which the team is not fully equipped to properly execute. I hope to be proven wrong next year…

That was the frustrating thing, so stupid, it wasnt just Edwards back there in the potential landing zone, there were 3 other Panthers all within distance to easily beat Saab to the ball, he had no chance, so why do it.
Right idea at the right time, returning a kick was never that time
100%! I'm all for us putting long kicks in behind when we have Koula and Saab ready and burring through, at worst it puts the outside backs near them on alert and gives us space.......but to do it when it was done.....mental.

This is again where I think we struggle at the moment. Football IQ. Players like Killer/DCE/Foran/Glenn Stewart/Ballin.....they just had football brains (ok Gifts grubber in the 2011 GF which amazingly ended in a try.....but let's forget that!), they would have had the brains to assess that on the fly. Very few in this team (obviously DCE) I see with that nous.

spot on, when the kick went up on the 1st tackle my mouth just dropped, and stayed dropped right until they scored the try of it....mate, I was flabbergasted
My mouth also dropped but there were colourful words coming from it ........ and when they scored. Still can't believe how poorly a not completely stupid idea, was put in to action. I still shake my head thinking about it.

This is again where I think we struggle at the moment. Football IQ.
I agree. We lose a lot of footy IQ without Turbo (and also Foran). Mostly, there is no ability within the team to adjust tempo or style in games. Last week against the Roosters, we were in the contest playing expansively in the first twenty minutes. After the Roosters scored, we fell into a hole and played dumb one out football which is easy to defend against. IMO, Latu is a player with high footy IQ. Such players are hard to find & it was a very dumb decision by the club to let him go.

I agree. We lose a lot of footy IQ without Turbo (and also Foran). Mostly, there is no ability within the team to adjust tempo or style in games. Last week against the Roosters, we were in the contest playing expansively in the first twenty minutes. After the Roosters scored, we fell into a hole and played dumb one out football which is easy to defend against. IMO, Latu is a player with high footy IQ. Such players are hard to find & it was a very dumb decision by the club to let him go.
I think you see this all over as we now have athletes rather than footballers. And games plans are, you stay in this 10m corridor and run these 2 lines....that's it.

We are all entitled to our opinions so I’m not looking to incite an argument with anyone but I have a pretty firm opinion that the problems this year are not coaching related.

I think with a good roster, Seibs would be doing some pretty great things.

I love Des but the biggest difference I’m seeing this year is we are losing games due to personnel and circumstances and not through a lack of application. Other than maybe Penrith at Penrith and Eels at Parramatta, I’ve seen our team apply themselves with hunger, week in week out. Always putting their bodies on the line and trying hard.

We don’t have the pack, nor the creativity around the ruck to beat the top teams. We don’t have our best player on the park as usual.

With the right ingredients, we’ve got a coach that is motivating the side. DCE is having his best season since 2014 and as others have pointed out, the defence is starting to show signs of working system.
Good post. I actually agree with this. I was a huge fan of Des and not at all happy we fired him for Siebold however I don’t mind Siebold so far. He has been ok. I am concerned about the recruitment decisions and lots of other things however interested to see how he goes next year.

He’s playing the long game. What does he have to gain by losing his temper or throwing Gaz under the bus for that kick. He’s clearly making an effort to be calm under pressure and not let his emotions get the better of him at interview time

If turbo didn’t get injured, we’d be entrenched in the top 8 (maybe top 4) this year.

I’m reserving judgement until next year . I think his selections have been pretty good this year and some players have developed under him . I would argue the following players are better this year than last

• Saab
  • Croker
  • DCE
  • Koula
  • Burbo
  • Paseka

Need to give him a proper full off season , a fit marquee player and a roster which he’s had influence over

Good post. I actually agree with this. I was a huge fan of Des and not at all happy we fired him for Siebold however I don’t mind Siebold so far. He has been ok. I am concerned about the recruitment decisions and lots of other things however interested to see how he goes next year.
My biggest disappointment with recruitment concerns Sam Fainu (not so much Latu). I can understand the Brooks signing because we are not gonna have DCE forever and Schu is not performing at 6. However, Fainu has spent a number of years playing middle (as well as edge) and has the leg speed and offload that we could really benefit from. He is a leaner version of Payne Haas. It's a shame we didn't hold onto him.

We are all entitled to our opinions so I’m not looking to incite an argument with anyone but I have a pretty firm opinion that the problems this year are not coaching related.

I think with a good roster, Seibs would be doing some pretty great things.

I love Des but the biggest difference I’m seeing this year is we are losing games due to personnel and circumstances and not through a lack of application. Other than maybe Penrith at Penrith and Eels at Parramatta, I’ve seen our team apply themselves with hunger, week in week out. Always putting their bodies on the line and trying hard.

We don’t have the pack, nor the creativity around the ruck to beat the top teams. We don’t have our best player on the park as usual.

With the right ingredients, we’ve got a coach that is motivating the side. DCE is having his best season since 2014 and as others have pointed out, the defence is starting to show signs of working system.
Sometimes I wish I had ten thumbs, just for posts like this.

The mix is off. Croker had good attributes bi doubt but he ain’t a starting hooker at any other club, every good team creates space beginning at the ruck, via width, speeed, precision and guile, none of which croker has. So then the halves have to try and create space of their own volition which leads to pushed passes, errors etc. when we do create space, players like Parker and Tui are not fast enough to take advantage of it and when we do t our edge forward are easily contained and Garrick has no vision to create anything out of nothing like turbo does

I agree that Seibold is a good student of the game and understands the intricacies and ways to exploit them. if he could get the players to execute his vision it would be successful, but as you do eloquently said it’s not just the poor execution, it’s having the players capable.

For me, it all starts with croker, I’ve been saying it for years. Watch the tempo we play with, we are 2 gears below the top teams

I don't suggest it was great timing for that left-field move but the fault was more with the Manly players who failed to move up and pressure Edwards. There were not 3 other Panthers at all. The problem was Edwards easily sprinted 15-20m straight past Saab who looked surprised that he was the only one there to defend, that is when Edwards was able to link up with others, and that's all she wrote.
A bit of yes and no.
Cleary hang back after his own kick, and Turuva easily jogged back as well, if Edwards wasn't there, Cleary would have had it well covered with Turuva in support.

None of the other players looked like they realised this kick was the kick, even Saab had to rush back behind Garrick at last second to get onside before taking off.
Anyway, it's all said and done, they scored we squandered.

I didn't get to see the entire game last night, but I was told that Flanagan was not in the coaches box, is that correct?

I didn't get to see the entire game last night, but I was told that Flanagan was not in the coaches box, is that correct?
I think he was, there was a shot of the coaches box with his smug mug peering over the laptop.

He’s playing the long game. What does he have to gain by losing his temper or throwing Gaz under the bus for that kick. He’s clearly making an effort to be calm under pressure and not let his emotions get the better of him at interview time

If turbo didn’t get injured, we’d be entrenched in the top 8 (maybe top 4) this year.

I’m reserving judgement until next year . I think his selections have been pretty good this year and some players have developed under him . I would argue the following players are better this year than last

• Saab
  • Croker
  • DCE
  • Koula
  • Burbo
  • Paseka

Need to give him a proper full off season , a fit marquee player and a roster which he’s had influence over
Saab 2022 played 16 games scored 7.
Saab 2023 has played 16 games & scored 7

Couldn't be arsed to look at the others.
You'd be expecting Koula & Burbo to improve as they are newbies.

Saab 2022 played 16 games scored 7.
Saab 2023 has played 16 games & scored 7

Couldn't be arsed to look at the others.
You'd be expecting Koula & Burbo to improve as they are newbies.
Not all about tries . His involvement has been better. Carried the ball stronger. Backed his speed etc.

This is not specific to the Siebold discussion rather just a random musing.

I think in general sports fans overrate the influence of a coach.

Now don't get me wrong, of course coaches have an significant influence but they are part of a team that runs from the front office through to the playing squad.

They are not the sole reason a club wins the title, the spoon, makes the 8 or doesn't.

Many have claimed Walters is a dud coach but is he now a gun as the Broncos are killing it?

Robinson has been lauded as one of the top coaches over many a season, is he to blame for the Roosters woes?

Is Bennett done because of the Dolphins failings?

Was Madge a good coach when he won a prem but a bad coach at the Tigers?

Of course a coaches performance needs to be evaluated and of course a coach is a factor in the performances of the team however they are not the sole factor and in my view not quite as big a factor as many believe.

This is not specific to the Siebold discussion rather just a random musing.

I think in general sports fans overrate the influence of a coach.
Couldn't agree more. In terms of understanding the game and analysing a side's performance and flaws, probably there isn't a lot of difference not just among NRL coaches but even lower tier coaches.

However, definitely some coaches inspire, just by their reputation or aura or whatever. If a club hires a Bennett, or got Bellamy, the whole joint would instantly be wide awake and excited expecting success and determined to take advantage of the opportunity, can almost become a self fulfilling prophecy. Titans no doubt counting on a little of that magic in signing Des, whether he's still got it remains to be seen.

Most others though, for various reasons, might begin with the players full attention and belief but for whatever reason can't sustain that when things turn bad.

I reckon there's a couple of myths around coaching. One is that Manly needs a Manly coach. Another is that a coach must be stern and get angry or even intimidate players in order to be successful.

As for Seibold I'll wait till our season's done before assessing his first year, meanwhile happy to support him and see how it unfolds. We do need a strong finish though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8