Coach Seibold thoughts so far.... so good

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I’m not really a Seibold fan but….. I liked the way he managed Lodge tonight.

It’s hard to have an opinion on someone unless you really know 1st hand how they operate & why they make certain decisions.

Sounds silly but I can only go from what I see outside.
Give me strength.. We beat the spoon in a close one..

Happy we won. I didn't watch it listen to the game. I guess when you consider our outs - Ben T, Aloiai, Sipley & Brown it puts things back into perspective a bit. Not to mention Lodge was out for many months and Saab 6 weeks and Garrick back from concussion so there were major disruptions to our squad this week and it obviously showed.

The biggest positive I guess was that we only conceded one try in the second half.

Things will only get better from here

Manly coach Anthony Seibold has confirmed he had to pay $150,000 out of his own pocket to secure the head coaching role at the Sea Eagles two years ago.

A source in England has alerted us to the story of how the English Rugby Union imposed a hefty transfer fee on Manly to allow Seibold to quit his job as Eddie Jones’ senior assistant.

“Yes, that story’s true,” Seibold said when we approached him last week.

“I was signed on with Eddie (Jones) and was being well looked after over there.

“Then the opportunity came up at Manly and I was happy to pay them myself.”

Seibold’s opportunity to make an NRL head coaching comeback on the Northern Beaches was too good to knock back, no matter what the cost.

Anthony Seibold has confirmed he had to pay $150,000 to move away from English Rugby Union and secure his job Manly. Picture: Bob Bradford

Anthony Seibold has confirmed he had to pay $150,000 to move away from English Rugby Union and secure his job Manly.

The irony is that Jones was sacked as English Rugby Union coach six weeks later.

It would have meant Seibold was a free agent and could have avoided the $150,000 payment.

Not that money means everything.

“I probably made a financial decision when I left Souths for the Broncos all those years ago,” he said. “You quickly learn that money isn’t everything. This time it was about going with my heart.

“I Just wanted another crack in the NRL. My family lived in the area and I was ready to be a head coach again.”

He has improved this side. He clearly has buy in.

But to keep improving this team, I think he now needs to become a much harder task master.

This team has to become a top 3 defensive unit. And that is regardless of a few ins and outs.

Fins had way more outs than us on the weekend, and they never let in 30.

Last edited:
We've played 7 games, won 4 (including against the premiers, convincingly), drawn 1, lost 2.

Our biggest loss so far this year, where we played terribly, was by 8 points. The other loss and the draw we probably should have won, but that is football.

I think at this point there are plenty of good signs. But also a few things that need work.

Attack gets a "A". Our defence gets a "D". Our discipline and error rate gets a "C". We defended well against the Panthers so what happened against the Titans must have been a drop in effort and concentration. To concede 24 points in 40 minutes of football against any side is unacceptable. The coach really needs to talk to individual players regardless of who they are and rein in their poor defensive reads and rushing out of the line. No point rushing up and not killing the ball. Our outside backs need to show composure and stay on on their man. Another issue in the middle of he ruck is still how often we are left without markers following a fast play the ball because we haven't dominated in the tackle. To compete for the title we need to be rating "A" across the board. We are a far way off right now but with improvement this group have enough talent to get there.

Seibolds growing on me, and I have some observations about what I have seen of himv that I would like to share.

1- Mutual self-interest must be acknowledged and come into play here - Seibold is pursuing short-term results because he has to, his job depends on it. No point accusing him of any strategy that enhances our short-term prospects at the expense of longer-term 'building' objectives - There are no long-term objectives when you are on contract bound by 'improve or die' performance clauses. There is only the Now, and Seibold has already lost the 1st year of his term where we didnt really improve or regress. He can't very well invest in too much in the future if he gets sacked in the short-term for not lifting club results, as has been demanded of him.

2 - Seibold is good at discussing short-term strategic decisions made out of self-preservation and redressing them as 'whats best for the club' by mixing it subtle language like 'Culture' and 'Knowing your Role' at the club. He says all the right things. This isn't a criticism, although some may feel it is. He is a good communicator. Des usually spoke from the heart when he was at our club, could be cagey and cryptic when addressing public/media, but he was loyal to the players to a fault - as we all pointed out for years it was eventually a massive fault. Seibold is a bit more cerebral than ol' Des, and whilst he appears kinder and more diplomatic when he is playing agreeable-Anthony in the post-game grilling, he has shown he is not without a decisive and ruthless streak - he pruned a lot of players that weren't part of his plans after last year, and dealt with the fallout. Boyle, Keppie, Tuilagi, Weekes, Fainu(s), Tuipolutu, Harper were all given options to leave and took them. None of those players as far as I can see is killing it elsewhere, nor were they killing it at Manly in their time with us. Meanwhile, Nathan Brown is going great, Waddell is a plesant surprise, Brooks is opening up a whole new dimension in attack, and Talau is getting better each game I see him. Hopefully Lodge can join that list of pleasat-surprise packages in coming weeks.

3 - Seibold may not be as good a coach as Des when it comes to pure footballing theory, but he is seemingly surrounding himself with a strong supporting/coaching team and he allows them to manage their patch without the micro-managing I suspect Des applied. It looks like Seibold delegates better, and that our entire strategy isn't locked up in an odd looking box in Des's attic with sanskrit ciphers needed to unlock his secrets. Seibold is more forthcoming in assigning people to perform a certain task, whereas Des ultimately felt like he needed to call ALL the shots when he was here, and protect the team by taking all decisions as his own. Ultimately he became a single point of failure when results didn't go our way and was an easy scapegoat for the Board when they wanted/needed to blame someone.

4 - Seibold has also worked in media so knows how to manage them a lot better than Des ever did, saving the club from conjecture-driven stories and keeping himself and the club out of the headlines for the wrong reasons - players absolutely read stories about themselves, despite saying they don't pay attention to media. This can also make Siebold seem too diplomatic at times when more mongrel is needed to pressure crap adjudication. He wants to remain diplomatic and I get that, but sometimes you can label a bad call as exactly that. Just ask Trent Robinson for advice Seibs, he seems to know how to bash Refs without getting fined. According to him, the Roosters have been robbed every game, Didn't you see that guy headbutt Dominic Young's elbow? Yet Dom get's sent and suspended? Geeeez.

5 - Manly as a club is re-defining themselves as a club in a really similar way to how Seibold is trying to re-define himself as a coach. It is actually a complimentary synergy between the 2 objectives of both Coach/Club, and you have to admit its working on at least a few levels - the home-ground games are sellouts, the logo re-branding wasn't received terribly, the trip to Vegas was uncharted territory and executed very well (helps that we won!), and the personnel changes post-Des seem to be working on some of those effort areas. Even if the on-field results are not perfect (Our goddam Defence boys!), there have been marked improvements in so many areas - not the least, the re-fortifying of our temple at Brookie. It's getting back to the Fortress days of old!

6 - Our mental tenacity is also improved on last year - we handle the inevitable momentum swings better, and have pulled at least 2 games out of the fire which we likely would have lost last year (Warriors/Titans) - thats 3 competition points in 7 rounds, which was what we missed the 8 by last year. We have returned a better performance compared to last year based purely on teams we have played and the expectations on those teams - Rabbitohs and Roosters were 2 heavy favourites with the pundits and we knocked them off in weeks 1 & 2. We didn't just beat Penrith we touched them up - which even when Cleary-less has been a successful team in every other game without him this year, and most games last year without him too. We drew the warriors away, another top-4 side. In 2021 it was remarked that we were flat-track bullies. We finished in the 4 and put on more half-centuries than Steve Smith used to in an Ashes series - but we always looked out of our depth against the top-4. Not anymore. Also either our Conditioning team has improved their game, or this apparent improvement in player-health is down to dumb luck, but for once I feel we aren't a team made up of 'depth players' - Praying that our current low injury toll comparative to other teams lasts several more weeks. At least we have depth options now for many positions, and competition for spots is not just a catchphrase as it used to be under Des (who rarely changed team makeup even when we got smashed). If key players stay healthy we make the 8. This is much more critical for all teams now than ever before.

7 - The Manly Way idea was unlikely Seibold's in isolation, but he bought into it. Des would never have allowed an intrusive tell-all doco to be broadcast to wider world I reckon. That series was very shrewdly made marketing that Manly needs as a part of a reformation package. As a club we can only scale the heights if the right foundations are in place, and we had a 2000's operating model expecting the same successes in the 2020-era. The club needs to attract good quality players, to win more, to attract more good quality players. We need to have a dignified workplace to offer players, good facilities, good mentorship, atmosphere and guidance. The apporach of that series showed the embedded layers of history in the club - with Cliffy, Beaver, the Stewarts and others all remaining a part of the club. This is a great environment that differentiates us from the Trent Barrett assertions of 'bringing my own furniture' when we were at our lowest ebb, flirting with the spoon. The MWSE brand had taken a bit of a beating during that time, and our club sank down to an also-ran club no longer in calcualtions for an aspiring NRL superstar to consider a viable platform for their career - aside from the ever-loyal and wonderful Trbos. Since Seibold has come on board, the strategy has changed, the retention and signings have changed, and its moving our club in the right direction. Lets hope that converts to some big-name signings in the near future, as well as our continued development of pathways/juniors so we can home-bake more talent like the Trbojevics. I feel like we are the best chance of signing our next Ben Kennedy or Jamie Lyon than we have been for several years, with the calibre of our squad today it would tip us into serious contention if we do.

I will let you know after friday night. This game scares me. With all the criticism they have copped this week, they will be up for this game and with Sivo back as well. He usually has a good game against us, we will see

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7