Club News 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From the SMH:

‘He trains really, really hard’: Why Garrick is more than just a pretty face

By Christian Nicolussi

May 12, 2023 — 3.59pm

Manly winger Reuben Garrick has had to work harder than most to be taken seriously as a footballer - because of his striking good looks.
Garrick, who will celebrate 100 NRL games on Sunday, could easily have become a male model rather than a professional athlete.

However, the 25-year-old is adamant he wants to be known for his work ethic rather than his physical appearance.

Garrick regularly features in fan polls on the best-looking players in the NRL, something Sea Eagles teammate Aaron Woods admits he is not familiar with.

“I try to stay away from him,” Woods said. “I’m a three out of ten on a good day, but drop to a one out of ten when I stand next to him.

“Because he’s so handsome, you always wanted to whack him when playing against him. Now I play with him, he’s very strong, loves to ****-stir, but also trains really, really hard.

“He reminds me a bit of Beau Ryan. He also trained like he played. They’re both from the south coast. There must be something in the water down there.”
Effort player: Manly fullback Reuben Garrick.

Effort player: Manly fullback Reuben Garrick.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

As he prepares for his milestone at 4 Pines Park against Cronulla on Sunday, Garrick said he wanted to be judged solely on his performances. “All I worry about is doing my best for my team,” he told this masthead.

“Some weeks that might be rucking the ball up, some weeks that’s scoring tries.

“I’ve always based my game off effort, and the points come off the back of that. [After 100 games] I know you have to prepare your best every week, and find a different motivation every week to try and get the best out of yourself.”

Garrick, who was a Dragons junior - and was on Newcastle’s radar last season before signing an extension at Manly that keeps him on the northern beaches until the end of 2027 - is in a long-term relationship with Riley Wishart, the daughter of Illawarra Steelers legend Rod Wishart.

And he regularly speaks with the NSW Origin great about how to better himself.

“I’d be silly not to get some pointers off him, he was a great winger and good goal-kicker, too,” Garrick said. “He’s always telling me to go hard and stay in every play. Sometimes on the wing it can get early, but he reminds me to get into the game and go looking for the ball.”

Wishart, who will be at Brookvale on Sunday, was fulsome in his praise of Garrick.

“He’s has a lot of ability, he’d be in the top five players when it comes to fitness at any club, and on the wing he’s just so reliable,” Wishart said.
“Playing on the wing, if you think you’re getting involved as much as you can, just double it. But his wing play is impeccable. To be a winger these days, you need to be an extra forward, you need pace, catching ability ... and he ticks all those boxes.

“He’s a perfectionist. I play a bit of golf with him and he’s always working on his game there. And he’s a good clubman.

“To play 100 games is a big milestone, I’m sure he’ll be around for a lot longer, and if he keeps wanting to improve and stays humble, he’ll be great.”

Great to have such a long lineup up ex players turning up. Not all big names but all ex-Sea Eagles, takes everyone to make a successful club, not just the big names. Well done to the Golden Eagles.

And go Garrick, great effort to make 100 games. Bag a couple of tries please.

From the SMH:

By Christian Nicolussi

May 12, 2023 — 3.59pm

Manly winger Reuben Garrick has had to work harder than most to be taken seriously as a footballer - because of his striking good looks.
Garrick, who will celebrate 100 NRL games on Sunday, could easily have become a male model rather than a professional athlete.

However, the 25-year-old is adamant he wants to be known for his work ethic rather than his physical appearance.

Garrick regularly features in fan polls on the best-looking players in the NRL, something Sea Eagles teammate Aaron Woods admits he is not familiar with.

“I try to stay away from him,” Woods said. “I’m a three out of ten on a good day, but drop to a one out of ten when I stand next to him.

“Because he’s so handsome, you always wanted to whack him when playing against him. Now I play with him, he’s very strong, loves to ****-stir, but also trains really, really hard.

“He reminds me a bit of Beau Ryan. He also trained like he played. They’re both from the south coast. There must be something in the water down there.”

As he prepares for his milestone at 4 Pines Park against Cronulla on Sunday, Garrick said he wanted to be judged solely on his performances. “All I worry about is doing my best for my team,” he told this masthead.

“I’ve always based my game off effort, and the points come off the back of that. [After 100 games] I know you have to prepare your best every week, and find a different motivation every week to try and get the best out of yourself.”

Garrick, who was a Dragons junior - and was on Newcastle’s radar last season before signing an extension at Manly that keeps him on the northern beaches until the end of 2027 - is in a long-term relationship with Riley Wishart, the daughter of Illawarra Steelers legend Rod Wishart.

“I’d be silly not to get some pointers off him, he was a great winger and good goal-kicker, too,” Garrick said. “He’s always telling me to go hard and stay in every play. Sometimes on the wing it can get early, but he reminds me to get into the game and go looking for the ball.”

Wishart, who will be at Brookvale on Sunday, was fulsome in his praise of Garrick.

“He’s has a lot of ability, he’d be in the top five players when it comes to fitness at any club, and on the wing he’s just so reliable,” Wishart said.
“Playing on the wing, if you think you’re getting involved as much as you can, just double it. But his wing play is impeccable. To be a winger these days, you need to be an extra forward, you need pace, catching ability ... and he ticks all those boxes.

“He’s a perfectionist. I play a bit of golf with him and he’s always working on his game there. And he’s a good clubman.

“To play 100 games is a big milestone, I’m sure he’ll be around for a lot longer, and if he keeps wanting to improve and stays humble, he’ll be great.”
Thanks for posting Tezz
In our rebuild towards our next premiership Winning team

Rueben the proven try scorer and goal kicker should be part of that dream team

He has great pace and that pretty face is also a bonus to attract more female Manly club members

What better way to celebrate 100 games than to score that winning try and kick that winning goal

Great Sea Eagles backs are meant to fly as Rueben goes in for another Manly try
Reuben Garrick enters Sea Eagles record books | Sea Eagles

From the SMH:

By Christian Nicolussi

May 12, 2023 — 3.59pm

Ruebs is a champion. I love his attitude and passion Whenever we score or do something good in a game he’s always first in there geeing up the group - reminds me of the sort of passion Foxx shows. You can tell it means something to him. Very glad he’s staying a sea eagle 🦅 till 2027.

Seibold on Condon:

“There’s no fuss to Ben. He is a country guy. He just goes about his business in a really reserved manner.

“Ben is still only a young guy who is at the very beginning of his NRL career. “It’s not how you get your opportunity, it’s what you do once you get there.

"It’s his time in the jersey now. It's his to keep through his performances.”

I'm here for the club news....in the club news thread, sifting through the spam.

As I'm not involved with the club, I have no club news to share.

Maybe we could start a Manly passion thread instead?
A Silvertails dribblers thread could also work.

Wait a minute.... we don't have a dedicated Tom T thread with a cool play on words like dce, foz, schuster, jake, Hamole...?

What's going on?

get to it ST dirt bags and lovelies

Failing to run down Selwyn Cobbo at Magic Round then getting beaten for pace by Cronulla’s Briton Nikora last weekend were the two moments that had NSW fans worried Tom Trbojevic would miss out on Origin selection.

“People think I’m fast because my nickname is ‘Turbo’,” Trbojevic told this masthead. “My nickname comes from my surname. I’m nowhere near as quick as some of the top [sprinters] in the game. There was no way I was catching Selwyn Cobbo that night. And with Nikora, that was just poor defence from me.”

Trbojevic drove home from Canberra with his parents and brother Jake, and had pulled into the Hibernian Hotel in Goulburn for dinner when he returned Fittler’s call and was asked simply, ‘Are you coming into camp tonight or tomorrow?’

(awww)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4