Club News 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
For anyone at the game last week there were some extensive issues with the food outlets, so it’s great to see the club moving so quickly to rectify it!

It was so good having two guys with backpacks come up in our stand last night selling 4 Pines beer, particularly in such hot conditions. I was just contemplating going to join a beer queue when they magically appeared at my seat :D

This post came to mind @Mitch and I have to applaud the club/4 Pines for this initiative as it was certainly appreciated by many fans last night.

It was so good having two guys with backpacks come up in our stand last night selling 4 Pines beer, particularly in such hot conditions. I was just contemplating going to join a beer queue when they magically appeared at my seat :D

This post came to mind @Mitch and I have to applaud the club/4 Pines for this initiative as it was certainly appreciated by many fans last night.
Next up they might like to install a/c into the visiting coach’s/coaches’ box and the broadcast facilities. Channel 9 were talking that up (or down) last night.

Not a good look for a supposedly professionally-run club, to skimp on what most would consider a reasonable expense in this day and age.

I was on the hill and was very pleasantly surprised to see a new bar set up behind next to the toilets. Not only that but the actual bars on the hill were way better managed with the lines being compressed to open up more space for people to stand up the back.

Mestrov has done a lot of good things since coming in but this is right up there with the best, our facilities in round 1 and before were shocking and a few small, simple changes makes all the difference

I was on the hill and was very pleasantly surprised to see a new bar set up behind next to the toilets. Not only that but the actual bars on the hill were way better managed with the lines being compressed to open up more space for people to stand up the back.

Mestrov has done a lot of good things since coming in but this is right up there with the best, our facilities in round 1 and before were shocking and a few small, simple changes makes all the difference
Good news about the extra facilities. Noting that money for a continuation of the ‘Bob Fulton Stand treatment’ around the ground is on the ‘never-never’ for the time being, they should review the circa 2009 plan that was drawn up.

Based in part on that document:

Move the kiosk off the crest of the hill and put it on the reverse side, then throw in another one. You can do good things architecturally with recycled shipping containers! Then build a wide concrete pathway atop the hill for better pedestrian movement.

Get rid of those f-cking wooden benches! What year is this, 1970? Because that’s when they were installed.

Build up the slope to a level platform under the L-M Stand, providing a better vantage point. Something like the arrangement in front of the kiosk on the JT Stand extension, but obviously not as high.

Then expand the facilities under that stand with more permanent and/or expanded structures, not crappy demountable huts levelled up on pavers, like they have now.

Rant over (for now). Next post: the KA and JT Stands.;)

So simple, so great.
Wondering @Mitch if you could mention at the next Member's Council that quite a few people, myself included, find the volume of the music way too much when you're trying to talk about the footy in a game break? It's deafening at times.
Also, can we get some feedback from the Member's Council meetings like we used to?

So simple, so great.
Wondering @Mitch if you could mention at the next Member's Council that quite a few people, myself included, find the volume of the music way too much when you're trying to talk about the footy in a game break? It's deafening at times.
Also, can we get some feedback from the Member's Council meetings like we used to?
And get rid of the flames. They are so hot that it must be dangerous. They add nothing.

Spot on @Budgie. The music volume is way over the top and it's very hard to hear anyone even sitting next to you.

And get rid of the flames. They are so hot that it must be dangerous. They add nothing.

They will.be welcome in the middle of winter, but not on a 26 degree night.
I was halfway up the hill and I could feel the heat every time. Crazy.

So simple, so great.
More than happy to mate :) Whenever we have a meeting (next likely to be soon), I’ll always post what I can after it!

I think this thread will do:

We’re not releasing him’: Dragons, Sea Eagles in tug-of-war for rising star​

Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

March 20, 2023 — 5.00am

Manly are set to go to war with a leading player agent, digging in their heels over the future of rising star Viliami Fifita in a tug-of-war for his services with St George Illawarra.​

Despite his manager Mario Tartak indicating to the Dragons that the dynamic front-rower will be released from the final two years of his deal to join the club, Manly aren’t giving in.

Tartak was under the impression Fifita would be able to take up a deal with the Dragons despite having two years to run on his deal, but Manly are adamant that won’t be the case.

“We’re not releasing him,” Sea Eagles chief executive Tony Mestrov said of the 22-year-old, who is expected to debut for the club this year. “He has a two-year contract. He’s a quality young front-rower and he’s staying here. He’s spoken to the club and declared his wish to stay here.”

Tartak once had a stronghold at the club when it came to recruitment and retention. His close relationship with recruitment manager Scott Fulton saw many of the best young players in western Sydney sign with the Sea Eagles.

The club’s reliance on a new recruitment and retention committee, which Mestrov now sits on, has diluted Fulton’s voice and diminished Tartak’s power at the club despite having a number of key players on the roster.
Viliami Fifita is at the centre of a tug of war.

Viliami Fifita is at the centre of a tug of war.CREDIT:GETTY

One of those is back-rower Haumole Olakau’atu. Manly fear his future could be used against the club if the relationship between Mestrov and Tartak deteriorates.

Interestingly, this column has also been told the Dragons have had discussions about potentially luring Fulton to the club in a recruitment role.

The Fulton family has strong ties to the Manly club. The recent removal of Kristie Fulton – the daughter of club legend and Immortal Bob Fulton – from an office role and the reduction in Scott’s influence will test those ties.

Mestrov has had a baptism of fire since taking over as CEO at the end of last year. He was heavily criticised over his handling of Des Hasler’s sacking, with the former coach threatening legal action against the club.
Tony Mestrov has had a baptism of fire as CEO.

Tony Mestrov has had a baptism of fire as CEO.CREDIT:JAMES BRICKWOOD

Mestrov’s decision to bring in Anthony Seibold has so far been vindicated with the club sitting on top of the ladder with two wins and a bye.
Seibold was largely considered damaged goods after his failed stint at the Broncos but appears to have resurrected his career on the Northern Beaches.

“This situation he finds himself in at Manly is very similar to when he had success at South Sydney,” Mestrov said.

“He had senior players, like he does now with Daly Cherry-Evans and the Trbojevic brothers. He did well in that environment and gave young players a crack around them like he’s doing now. He’s an astute footy brain.

“He had his challenges at Brisbane but it wasn’t the right environment for him. He’s learnt from his successes and his mistakes.”

I think this thread will do:

We’re not releasing him’: Dragons, Sea Eagles in tug-of-war for rising star​

Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

March 20, 2023 — 5.00am

Manly are set to go to war with a leading player agent, digging in their heels over the future of rising star Viliami Fifita in a tug-of-war for his services with St George Illawarra.​

Despite his manager Mario Tartak indicating to the Dragons that the dynamic front-rower will be released from the final two years of his deal to join the club, Manly aren’t giving in.

Tartak was under the impression Fifita would be able to take up a deal with the Dragons despite having two years to run on his deal, but Manly are adamant that won’t be the case.

“We’re not releasing him,” Sea Eagles chief executive Tony Mestrov said of the 22-year-old, who is expected to debut for the club this year. “He has a two-year contract. He’s a quality young front-rower and he’s staying here. He’s spoken to the club and declared his wish to stay here.”

Tartak once had a stronghold at the club when it came to recruitment and retention. His close relationship with recruitment manager Scott Fulton saw many of the best young players in western Sydney sign with the Sea Eagles.

The club’s reliance on a new recruitment and retention committee, which Mestrov now sits on, has diluted Fulton’s voice and diminished Tartak’s power at the club despite having a number of key players on the roster.
Viliami Fifita is at the centre of a tug of war.

Viliami Fifita is at the centre of a tug of war.CREDIT:GETTY

One of those is back-rower Haumole Olakau’atu. Manly fear his future could be used against the club if the relationship between Mestrov and Tartak deteriorates.

Interestingly, this column has also been told the Dragons have had discussions about potentially luring Fulton to the club in a recruitment role.

The Fulton family has strong ties to the Manly club. The recent removal of Kristie Fulton – the daughter of club legend and Immortal Bob Fulton – from an office role and the reduction in Scott’s influence will test those ties.

Mestrov has had a baptism of fire since taking over as CEO at the end of last year. He was heavily criticised over his handling of Des Hasler’s sacking, with the former coach threatening legal action against the club.
Tony Mestrov has had a baptism of fire as CEO.

Tony Mestrov has had a baptism of fire as CEO.CREDIT:JAMES BRICKWOOD

Mestrov’s decision to bring in Anthony Seibold has so far been vindicated with the club sitting on top of the ladder with two wins and a bye.
Seibold was largely considered damaged goods after his failed stint at the Broncos but appears to have resurrected his career on the Northern Beaches.

“This situation he finds himself in at Manly is very similar to when he had success at South Sydney,” Mestrov said.

“He had senior players, like he does now with Daly Cherry-Evans and the Trbojevic brothers. He did well in that environment and gave young players a crack around them like he’s doing now. He’s an astute footy brain.

“He had his challenges at Brisbane but it wasn’t the right environment for him. He’s learnt from his successes and his mistakes.”

Well, this journo says Manly is on the top of the ladder, so that should make a few posters happy!

I'm missing something (again) but if there's 2 years to go on the contract, how can another club have even approached him?

Well, this journo says Manly is on the top of the ladder, so that should make a few posters happy!

I'm missing something (again) but if there's 2 years to go on the contract, how can another club have even approached him?
Manager: hey saints would you offer this bloke a 3 or 4 year deal?

Saints: yeah.

Manager: ok I’ll see if manly is open to releasing him.

Manly: no

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4