Club News 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Fibro Eagle

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Why do they always have to mix issues of today with sport , Because sport has an audience,and while this happens there will always be a divide with peoples beliefs and opinions. It may be just a jersey but this should have been consulted with the entire organisation before going ahead . There could have been other alternatives to show support than just wearing a jersey
The sensitive issue of today with gay community is a lot different to supporting other issues like cancer , domestic violence and mens health to name a few of the common issues of today , This is not to say being gay and proud is not a minor issue , Being gay is a choice getting cancer or being a victim is not a choice
Sometimes you have to be more aware of the outcome of what you choose to make other people to support

Real Deal

Reserve Grader
I'm a primary teacher. You should see some of the stuff they expect us to wear on certain days.
My salary isn't nearly as good as an NRL player's.
They "expect" you too wear it, Nicci? You shouldn't be expected to wear anyting that you don't want to. Unless your wear a uniform. The jersey is a uniform. Or should be. The problem is it changes every week.

Volley

Bencher
Why do they always have to mix issues of today with sport , Because sport has an audience,and while this happens there will always be a divide with peoples beliefs and opinions. It may be just a jersey but this should have been consulted with the entire organisation before going ahead . There could have been other alternatives to show support than just wearing a jersey
The sensitive issue of today with gay community is a lot different to supporting other issues like cancer , domestic violence and mens health to name a few of the common issues of today , This is not to say being gay and proud is not a minor issue , Being gay is a choice getting cancer or being a victim is not a choice
Sometimes you have to be more aware of the outcome of what you choose to make other people to support

Did you just say being gay is a choice?

Jerry1

First Grader
You want to talk about vocal minorities pushing their beliefs and views on others? You've just described Christians for the last decade or more.

What bothers me even more than the opportunity this whole debacle has delivered for snowflake bigots to stand up and shout, "But, but, but, what about my right to feel uncomfortable about anything that might make me have to consider my own prejudices?" is that Thursday night's game was supposed to be the inaugural Gotcha4Life Cup and should have gained positive attention for www.gotcha4life.org and the fight against suicide.

Hidden between those oh-so-offensive and "virtue signalling" rainbows is the Gotcha4Life logo. Most people would agree that preventing suicide is a worthy objective that shouldn't trigger rage in anybody, just like most people would agree that promoting inclusiveness is a worthy objective that shouldn't trigger anybody either. Although maybe our devout Christian players would object to wearing a jersey that promotes an understanding of suicide, because their religion teaches them suicide is wrong.
But that's not what is being represented on the jersey is it......

Let me just clarify my standing here. If my company asked me to wear the said logo I wouldn't be fussed about it. However if my colleague say Mustafa or Peter or Joseph were against it I would most certainly support their views that they shouldn't be forced to wear something that represents a diametrically opposed view contradicting their religious beliefs.

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
No. I genuinely need more context to give you an honest answer to that question. Personally, I would weigh up the situation and impact of wearing that. What is the message behind it, who are we talking to and how does it affect all stake-holders? If I felt strong enough against wearing it based on the above questions then I would make a choice to move elsewhere. If it didn't push me out of personal integrity, then I would wear it. The context is critical.
Great aren’t the players doing the same thing? I mean weighing it all up and that? There is not likely an absolute right in all this . Imagine the players asking themselves that same question about thier personal integrity you mentioned above, it is possible they may not come to the same conclusion as you.

I tend to agree, but why has a pride jersey been the one jersey that has brought so many people out to say we have too many jerseys?

No-one seemed to care about that community jersey with the blue on it.
I did! It look stupid! …. And what about the jersey a few years ago that looked more like a parramatta jersey! And the one with the big green blob! Enough! What happen to tradition… just wear the traditional manly jersey. Some back office bozo comes up with some different design each year that half of us like and half of us don’t! But we all like the traditional hoops! No organisation changes its branding each year… why do we?

Management decisions …. It’s not surprising the place has had 6 CEOs in about 6 years!

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
This situation is yet another complete failure by the club in a long line of failures dating back many years. I am not going to take a position on the appropriateness or inappropriateness of the decision to replace the white stripes on the Manly jersey, other than to say my personal preference on jerseys would be simply to have a home jersey and an away jersey.

The real problem here is that the club has failed to communicate what it was doing with the entire player group. Obviously, the club didn't feel that it was necessary to effectively communicate the new jersey concept internally and then try to build a consensus of support from the players' group as a whole.

This divisive decision has clearly broadsided the players. The fact that the club failed to communicate this effort accurately and effectively to its players is the biggest failure of the club. Whoever made this incredibly dumb call (to not consult the players) should be exiting the building immediately.

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
This situation is yet another complete failure by the club in a long line of failures dating back many years. I am not going to take a position on the appropriateness or inappropriateness of the decision to replace the white stripes on the Manly jersey, other than to say my personal preference on jerseys would be simply to have a home jersey and an away jersey.

The real problem here is that the club has failed to communicate what it was doing with the entire player group. Obviously, the club didn't feel that it was necessary to effectively communicate the new jersey concept internally and then try to build a consensus of support from the players' group as a whole.

This divisive decision has clearly broadsided the players. The fact that the club failed to communicate this effort accurately and effectively to its players is the biggest failure of the club. Whoever made this incredibly dumb call (to not consult the players) should be exiting the building immediately.
This I agree with... our back-office is/has been a complete shambles for 10 years and this is continuing our new 'tradition' of sh*t decision-making...

Real Deal

Reserve Grader
I tend to agree, but why has a pride jersey been the one jersey that has brought so many people out to say we have too many jerseys?

No-one seemed to care about that community jersey with the blue on it.
Because the blue community thing doesn't have a huge idealogical payload, Volley. The rainbow stuff means a whole lot to many divergent people groups in our society.

I have to be honest and say I don't agree with it at all. I don't want to go back to the bad old days of homophobic attacks and bashings. I had friends who lived through that. But I want to support these islander guys. They are Christians and these days they march to a different drummer than much of our culture. I love their energy and ability. But for many it comes with a deep faith in God and a commitment to the Bible as a binding authority in their lives. Like me, they won't always practice what the preach consistently. But to take a stand, particularly after what happened to Folau is pretty impressive.

This will be my last word on this, whatever happens, I hope to be there on Thursday to support Manly.

Fibro Eagle

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Did you just say being gay is a choice?
Yes I did , in referring to being a victim of cancer where you don’t have a choice
Yes I do understand that gay people say it’s not just a choice it’s how they feel , I should have rephrased that , The point is that there are more causes that a team can support than a way of life compared to something like cancer

Volley

Bencher
Because the blue community thing doesn't have a huge idealogical payload, Volley. The rainbow stuff means a whole lot to many divergent people groups in our society.

I have to be honest and say I don't agree with it at all. I don't want to go back to the bad old days of homophobic attacks and bashings. I had friends who lived through that. But I want to support these islander guys. They are Christians and these days they march to a different drummer than much of our culture. I love their energy and ability. But for many it comes with a deep faith in God and a commitment to the Bible as a binding authority in their lives. Like me, they won't always practice what the preach consistently. But to take a stand, particularly after what happened to Folau is pretty impressive.

This will be my last word on this, whatever happens, I hope to be there on Thursday to support Manly.

So the people complaining about there being too many jerseys have chosen to air their grievances about there being too many jerseys because of the ideological payload of the rainbow jersey?

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
Great aren’t the players doing the same thing? I mean weighing it all up and that? There is not likely an absolute right in all this . Imagine the players asking themselves that same question about thier personal integrity you mentioned above, it is possible they may not come to the same conclusion as you.
Yeah, I'm happy for any player that feels wearing that jersey is out of integrity to choose to sit down. However, they also need to look at moving on because the club has made a decision on what it wants to represent and it is in conflict with their personal beliefs. I respect that decision too.

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12
12 6 6 2 12