Club announcement - Matai & Stewart to Retire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
NRL have already rejected Snakes claim saying it wasnt a one-off season ending injury but one of cumulative injuries over the years. Pretty ****ty, if the player has a career ending injury whether it be mid-season and one that has happened over the years, it should be possible to remove his salary from the cap, absolutely ridiculous.

So we have to pay this years salary of Brett and it counts towards the cap. The NRL will never give us a fair go

NRL have already rejected Snakes claim saying it wasnt a one-off season ending injury but one of cumulative injuries over the years. Pretty ****ty, if the player has a career ending injury whether it be mid-season and one that has happened over the years, it should be possible to remove his salary from the cap, absolutely ridiculous.

So we have to pay this years salary of Brett and it counts towards the cap. The NRL will never give us a fair go
Agree, But I still think Manly was insane to extend Snake's contract when he was increasingly injured and there was zero pressure to extend - it wasn't like he was some young buck with other clubs knocking each other out of the way to sign him up. Manly is paying the orice here for their own inexplicabld decision.
Matai is a different story.

Agree, But I still think Manly was insane to extend Snake's contract when he was increasingly injured and there was zero pressure to extend - it wasn't like he was some young buck with other clubs knocking each other out of the way to sign him up. Manly is paying the orice here for their own inexplicabld decision.
And if we didnt extend the contract every man and his dog is complaining about Manly not looking after its stars of the passed. Damned if you do damned if you dont

It was only done to curb the angst of 2v's shafting.
No one fell for it and now they are stuck with the bill.:cool:

Still unbelievable that the NRL rejected it. They are weakening their product by forcing clubs to play damaged older players :banghead:

Still unbelievable that the NRL rejected it. They are weakening their product by forcing clubs to play damaged older players :banghead:
And to what end? I understand the tussle between an insurer and club as to who pays BUT I can think of no reason why the NRL would force a club to keep a player under the cap who medical evidence says cannot play.
Is there some fair trading/restraint of trade case they could take to the courts?

It was only done to curb the angst of 2v's shafting.
No one fell for it and now they are stuck with the bill.:cool:

Brett was re-signed whilst Toovey was there.He was put in that position by the Glenn rubbish.If he said NO to re-signing him,which I suspect he wanted to do,he would of signed his resignation papers right there and then.As it turns out,he was gone well before that.Tooves saw the trouble brewing but was caught in the middle

Snake was winning us games in 2015 and was talked about as the form fullback in the competition in the last 10 or so weeks of the season. It was really only last year that he started looking like a shot duck. He couldn't run anymore. It was perfectly sensible to re-sign the guy in August 2015 when he still looked the goods. http://www.nrl.com/stewart-re-signs-with-manly/tabid/10874/newsid/89306/default.aspx

Sometimes life sux. This is one of those times. I'd accepted the fact that Snake was a shot duck and unlikely to return. The rise of Tommy Turbo has softened that blow somewhat, as we will be talking about him in 10 years time in the same manner we talk about Eadie and Stewart now.

But Skivvi ..... I was hoping against all hope that the warrior would defy the odds and give us one more season just for old times sake. I'll have to find a new man crush now. Think I'll go and have a beer and drown my sorrows. F#@K IT !!
this is exactly how I feel. Snake couldn't run anymore and looked like retirement would be the only option, but Skivvy was still playing outstanding football before the injury last year and I was really hoping to see the warrior rise again. It would have been poetic given how many times he looked gone in games, only to come to sideline to warm up before running back out to smash someone!

Can the NRL please explain the difference between bochoc's claim and Snake's?

Don't tell me it was because bochoc was injured by scott at training and they deemed that action to be career ending?? Because that does not make sense, every one knows bochoc was carrying injuries and that one incident, which I am dubious to say ever happened caused anything.

So if this is the difference between the claims of bochoc and Snake then I don't know what to say. Except what utter F%&*^% BS.

Did Snake collide with anyone last year? Did he tackle someone and then that incident could be deemed to be the straw that broke the camels back??

Seriously this is ludicrous and Manly need to hit back. I am not a solicitor, but I tell you what I would think a half decent one could make a case of this rubbish.

2 absolute Manly legends and it will be quite the adjustment seeing the team run out without them (and Jamie )

Sad to see Matai, Brett,Jamie Lyon and Jamie Bruher go but it had to happen at some time. I remember thinking the same at the end of Beaver, Cliffy and wombats career.

When the club gives Matai and snake a send off at Brookie I kinda hope they invite Glen Stewart and Watmough. All of these guys have given there all for the club and deserve a good send off.

:tmi::tmi:
Hope it's Round 7 - so we can chant 40-0 in front of the Scumos as Snake and Matai trot around Brookie :giggle:
The last of the 2008 band of Manly Brothers :clap:
Wow this is so true I'm almost in tears i'll never forget being interviewed by ch 9 outside the leagues club in 08 at 7am walking out of the leagues club.My wife was looking for me for for a day & a half.Good luck skiv & snake thanks for the memories.

The NRL does have to be careful though, otherwise as just one example clubs will be signing players at 29 on a 5 year deal to entice them, just to see them play 3 or 4 and go for the insurance on the last couple of years due to not being able to play because of injury.

You can bet if this was say Darius love boy ( broncos) or TB 's all known love affair team the bulldogs things would be different.

Even if it takes another's 5-7 years when we win our next title decisions like this one will make the win even sweeter.

Crazy decision by the NRL

Last edited:
There's not an instrument invented that could measure the amount of my lack of surprise the nrl did this regarding Stewart.

We needed to do what parra did. Have one player 'accidentally' give stewart a career ending injury.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone from the nrl suggested this to Parra, but the insurance company saw through it at least. Both players have had a history of injuries, but the nrl decided to help one club and hurt another.

That's why I was initially happy when David Smith was appointed CEO. I didn't care if he slipped up on Cameron Smith's name to be honest. I though that finally, with an outsider the petty politics of the most tribal of boys club would become ineffective.

Unfortunately Smith was a dolt and it paved the way for the nrl to become more tribal than ever before with certain teams being overtly given special considerations.

Parra have been given special dispensation after special dispensation without the nrl feeling that they have created precedents.

Their 'we don't want to hurt the players' has not extended to the welfare of players from other clubs regarding salary cap "punishments."

Also last year when we wanted a player after the June 30 deadline they said no....it wasn't until Manly pointed out they did the exact same thing for Hayne and the titans that the nrl reluctantly agreed (was it winterstein?)

One thing I've realised from living o/s and seeing more of the worlds sports is: The nrl is a tiny tiny sport badly run by self serving revenge fuelled narrow minded amateurs who wouldn't last 6 months in any other major sporting organisation.

The fans suffer...it's a shame.

One thing I've realised from living o/s and seeing more of the worlds sports is: The nrl is a tiny tiny sport badly run by self serving revenge fuelled narrow minded amateurs who wouldn't last 6 months in any other major sporting organisation.
Innit!! Spot on Global. Its comical to watch NRL management run the game from afar eh

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11