Clint Gutherson

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He is an instinctive footballer and not an athletic robot. Which is getting rare. Massive YES from me. I accept there is risks given another knee at the end of last year. But Sometimes you just need to pick your best 17 and let them do their stuff. What position will sort itself out. He can play anywhere in the back line, and on last years form. He would be starting in our backline. Somewhere.

Does anyone think he could become a great 5/8 that’s fits in with dce at half?
With the right coaching and players around him, i think he can make a great 5/8. I always saw him as heading that way in the future. He was always going to need time to mature / build confidence / build his body, so was destined for much time at wing / centre / fill in fb etc. His problem I guess he has done well in those years, but there has always been someone just ahead, or injury has hampered his run to making a position his own.

I can't see him staying at Parra, they seem to have made buys that doesn't show they have a lot of confidence in him, and coming to the age where it's make or break for a lot of players he needs to make a position his own sooner rather than later if he wants a decent contract. If he wants to come back to Manly, i can certainly understand if there had been talks pre-cap drama where he probably could've jumped straight in at 6 with a few biting at his heels if it didn't work, then he could probably shift to one of the centre spots. If Croker / Hastings shine this year, then i'm not sure where you put him if '19 is a target, you don't just bump them if one is working and it sure doesn't help DCE play his game with a different partner every new season. Tom Wright looks set to be moulded into a centre role, Kelly and Parker obviously get their shot this season, so you'd hope by kick off in '19 one of those three has made the spot their own. One probably will be shipped out, and one there waiting for an injury to cover. Walks obviously set on the other side. And I don't see Gutho as a winger, he is wasted being too wide, needs to be around the ball. FB is obviously covered. So I don't know '19 might be too late to come home, and a better deal might be had elsewhere guaranteeing him the position he wants to make his own.

Last edited:
Big yes from me. Phil Gould said of him as a junior that he was most similar to a young Darren Lockyer.
Yes he is a running 5/8 as he played mostly as a junior there, but as he ages and slows his natural football ability will prove him to be a great player. Like Lockyer he will adapt to his new found role.
Michael Morgan is in the same boat. Natural running player but because he just has natural ability he could adapt to a more organising playmaker role.
Freddy Fitler was a skinny running centre at Penrith with a huge left foot step and ended up being on of the best 5/8s to lace on a boot.
All this talk of him not being a playmaker are farcical.
The only concern is 2 damaged knees????

According to the media & Eels news sites Bevan French is their first choice Fullback not Gutherson! He'll at 5/8 to start the season.
No, that is because Gutho is injured and not expected to start the season. If he starts it will be as fullback.

No thanks, will cost far more than he is worth IMHO considering his price tag and injury history. What position would he play?
5/8? Don't like him there.
Fullback? No chance.
Centre? Prefer Tom Wright earning it if Kelly doesn't fulfill his potential.
Wing? Young Anderson will get the next vacancy.
Utility? Don't want one taking up bench space.

I think he is a strong injury liability going forward, I like who we have coming through and I think the money will bee far better spent on the impending upgrades over the next few years.

We should be in consolidation mode, not looking at spending BIG bucks on Gutho.

He is an instinctive footballer and not an athletic robot. Which is getting rare. Massive YES from me. I accept there is risks given another knee at the end of last year. But Sometimes you just need to pick your best 17 and let them do their stuff. What position will sort itself out. He can play anywhere in the back line, and on last years form. He would be starting in our backline. Somewhere.
He also looks like a Manly boy. He is a fish out of water at Parramatta, surrounded by Parra juniors: that is ugly, inked up, working class nuff nuffs.

Whereas he can come home. Where he can be surrounded by imported, ugly, inked up, working class nuff nuffs - some of them Parra juniors.

Half the reason Gutho as a running 5/8 worked last year at doesn't-matta before his injury is because Norman is the organiser. He was for Gutho what Green was for Cherry. But even then the Worms actually looked better once they got a proper 5/8 (Moses).

If Gutho ever did come back to Manly, while we have DCE at half I'd be happier if he was a centre / utility back rather than a first choice pivot. We've already seen that Cherry's game suffers with a halves partner who doesn't organise because it then falls on him and as we know he couldn't organise a chook raffle in a pub (for details see the horror movie "Manly 2016: The Failed Walker Experiment").

Last edited:
DCE is complemented best with an organizer and Gutho is a runner not an Organizer .
DCE had 19 try assists. Easily proved he could orchestrate last year. Green only took the reins @ the back end, because cherry was injured. At least that’s what I think. I mean Chez wasn’t even kicking. Gutho would slot in @ 6 in any team...& for a million dollars, I want my no7 to do more than just run the ball.

DCE had 19 try assists. Easily proved he could orchestrate last year. Green only took the reins @ the back end, because cherry was injured. At least that’s what I think. I mean Chez wasn’t even kicking. Gutho would slot in @ 6 in any team...& for a million dollars, I want my no7 to do more than just run the ball.
Well unfortunately for you thats when DCE is at his best, an organising halfback he is not, he cant run a side. Green was boss last year so DCE could do what he wanted while Green was organising. Gutho isnt a 6 or even a good one. Hes a good utility who can play a number of spots, but he lacks all the skills you need from a 6 and especially a 6 alongside Cherry. And all 16 NRL teams would prefer a proper 5/8 over Gutho.

Both Green and Barrett have been quoted saying otherwise. Even in the recent interview with Barrett he said he wants Cherry to run, that he will control an edge and he wants the 6 to organise the middle.

Green said last year that he was here to be the primary organiser and let Cherry play instinctively (which still alllows him to make plenty of try assists), he just isn’t tasked with organising the side to get to the right spot on the field (for 5th tackle options etc).

He would be the ideal #14 for us, covers 1-6 well, could come on as a half to lift the energy for the last 10 of each half and wreak havoc, if the new 6 is struggling he slots straight in. Tapow and our back row all like to play big minutes so would not hurt the rotation.

Both Green and Barrett have been quoted saying otherwise. Even in the recent interview with Barrett he said he wants Cherry to run, that he will control an edge and he wants the 6 to organise the middle.

Green said last year that he was here to be the primary organiser and let Cherry play instinctively (which still alllows him to make plenty of try assists), he just isn’t tasked with organising the side to get to the right spot on the field (for 5th tackle options etc).
Cherry does organise. He's just not cut out to be the sole organiser of the team. He he'd close to the best kicking game in the comp last year and was one of the reasons why we were able to make it to other end IMO.

He can't be the sole organiser though and that's why the Walker experiment failed.

Cherry does organise. He's just not cut out to be the sole organiser of the team. He he'd close to the best kicking game in the comp last year and was one of the reasons why we were able to make it to other end IMO.

He can't be the sole organiser though and that's why the Walker experiment failed.

Agree, the main point is you need at least 2 options for your go to guy on the 6th tackle .... if you just have the one, the odds of the opposition being able to anticipate and close the play down improve dramatically.

The 2nd playmaker doesn't have to be a rocket surgeon ... just an alternative and competent.

If they are also young, quick and talented like a Hastings or Croker .... appi days.

I'd love to have Gutho back at Manly he'd be a brilliant No 14 .....
But I think we're dreaming (or at least I am) if that was going to happen . Anyway this all speculation who or where is this rumor coming from ?......

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8