Chelsea Football Club Part 3

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Match Report : Charlton 0 Chelsea 4
Saturday, Nov 27, 2004

Chelsea’s biggest win away to Charlton, a first ever brace of goals for John Terry, the first and last being scored by Damien Duff and Eidur Gudjohnsen, this was a top of the League Chelsea performance.

It was also the fourth Premiership game in six in which Chelsea had netted four.

Just under 12 months ago Hreidarsson had scored Charlton’s fastest ever Premiership goal when he netted from a corner on 42 seconds against Chelsea, and in the first minute here the lively winger Thomas got the benefit of a bounce behind Ferreira and was uncomfortably free in the six yard box, but Cech was able to grab.

Duff scored after 36 seconds against Bolton last week. At The Valley it took him 410 seconds – three minutes 50. Gudjohnsen’s outstanding pass inside Konchesky allowed Duff to motor off the right flank, cut in and slip the ball across the advancing Kiely for his fourth goal of the season.

It was almost a carbon copy of Robben’s goal against Everton.

Chelsea dominated for the next quarter of an hour, possessing and probing, frustrating Charlton into a series of unforced errors, but not carving out any effort of note.

Charlton’s set-plays asked some difficult questions: Johansson headed a corner just over, Fortune headed on a long, straight free-kick which Cech grabbed before a forward touched, and Ferreira brilliantly cleared from Thomas when everyone missed a cross. Tiago even sliced a Charlton corner just past his own post.

But at the other end Carvalho, yet to score for Chelsea, was holding his head in anguish when he headed powerfully just over from Lampard’s corner.

But Chelsea’s failure to turn superiority into goals ultimately allowed Charlton to mount pressure. Bartlett headed a cross into the danger zone and diving Carvalho nodded it against his own post. How lucky can you get! From the resulting corner Fortune’s fine header hit Johansson in the six yard box.

Terry was booked for blocking the sprinting Thomas and Chelsea were grateful for a couple of outstanding catches of long balls into the area by Cech as he reached over an army of bodies.

At the other end Robben controlled a clearance on the volley, taking it away from a defender, and volleyed a wonderful 20 yarder which Kiely parried on the dive for a superb save.

Both sets of fans were getting frustrated by referee Mark Clattenburg. It was the first time he had refereed Chelsea, and Lampard and Gudjohnsen had been complaining already when fouled and not receiving free-kicks, but just before half-time Robben was cut down on the edge of the area and the referee waved play-on. The first 45 minutes finished with both the score and control of the game on the edge.

That brittle control continued when Robben immediately won and took a corner, Gudjohnsen was blocked in the six yard box, and Tiago went flying as he moved to the loose ball with Holland who cleared. Tiago screamed at the referee for a penalty but it wasn’t forthcoming.

Instead Chelsea had a corner, Duff fired in an inswinger and Terry, sprinting towards the near post, headed his fourth goal of the season. He raced to substitute Drogba, warming up, and hugged him as he clearly told him that he was the top header at set-plays in the club.

Two minutes later Duff swung a corner he had won to the far post, Carvalho headed it back and Terry touched it in after everyone had missed it. Kiely nearly kept it out but Terry had collected his first brace in a Chelsea shirt. Drogba was on hand for another cuddle.

Chelsea were rampant. Gudjohnsen was unable to feed Lampard’s run before he went offside, so instead played it short to Robben and went on a run himself, just failing to convert the cross.

But Gudjohnsen got his goal two minutes before the hour when Robben on the left flank found Lampard who cut the ball through Charlton’s defence for the striker to charge on to and slip over the advancing, spreading Kiely.

Two minutes later Drogba was given his half hour in place of Gudjohnsen, and the fastest front three Chelsea could field were up front.

Charlton were so stuffed that manager Alan Curbishley made a triple substitution when his side were defending a corner. Rommedahl, Hreidarsson and Euell replaced Thomas, Murphy and Kishishev. Charlton cleared the corner but couldn’t get hold of the ball for minutes afterwards.

Then when Hreidarsson had a free header from 12 yards following a blocked free-kick, he put it wide.

Gérémi replaced Duff with 20 minutes remaining to make his 50th Chelsea appearance.

Euell had a chance when Rommedahl forced the ball through to him, but Cech swooped expertly to hold. Babayaro replaced Robben with 12 minutes left.

The game was over. There was time for Gérémi to set up Lampard who cut inside and hit a hefty right-footer which Kiely did well to palm away.

Charlton went into the game having won four, drawn two and lost just one of their home games this season. They had won three of their last four at home to Chelsea. Time has changed for both of us, more so maybe for Chelsea. This was a comprehensive victory.

Team Pld Pts
Chelsea 15 36
Arsenal 14 31
Everton 14 29
Man Utd 15 27
M'brough 14 25
Aston Villa 15 24
Bolton 15 23
Liverpool 13 20
Man City 15 20
Newcastle 14 19
Portsmouth 14 18
Charlton 15 18
Birmingham 15 14
Fulham 15 14
Tottenham 14 13
C Palace 15 13
Blackburn 15 13
Southampton 15 12
Norwich 15 12
West Brom 15 10

I know...I know...You'd think with 4 goals - Robben SHOULD have scored one.

Did you see that Henry got 2nd best player in the world right now.

Well - that's all the openning we need. Chelsea haven't actually been defeated this season at all. It's been quite a while to be honest.

I wish Manly could enjoy that level of success!!!!

Bloody hell, just found out that Viera will miss the Chelsea clash on Dec 12 (something about 5 yellow cards). We are doing everything to give you a chance!

I liked Ranieri so I hope that you are happy with the John Laws of the soccer world - Mourinho.

More importantly I am looking forward to avenging ManU this week. I hate them more than any other team. :x

Actually, from a Chelsea standpoint, Man U victory would aid us somewhat. I suggest it could be another 3 points seperating the field. That would make it 8.

interesting that liverpool have only played 13 and if they win the next 2 they will be 5th with everyone on 15 games

The ManU game is part of the Carling Cup - nothing to do with the Premiership. So Ryan - start cheering for the Gunners, if only this once!!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4