Charged player allowed to play

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
we know that consistency is over rated because Todd said it was, and that fairness is paramount ,but the only thing this Z Grade CEO excels at is being consistently inconsistent and fairly unfair.
I cannot see any reason why Chee-Kam should not be in the same boat as DW and JDB .He has been charged with assault, however if the max penalty is < 11 years then he escapes the no stand down clause,Im still not sure what the penalty is for what DW has been charged with ,but clearly JDB charge is for serious sexual assault which carries a heavy max sentence .Which brings Lodge into focus and the fact that had he done in Australia what he did over in the US what would his penalty have been and regardless why is he even in the NRL ,so many if buts and maybes and questions eh Todd ,that you no doubt cant really answer properly because you find it hard to tell the truth ?
The consistency and in consistencies are mind boggling to the punter ,the only thing that is clear is what this complete mental imbecile has done to this game with his pick and back a "favorite" brand of inept administration

I cannot see any reason why Chee-Kam should not be in the same boat as DW and JDB .He has been charged with assault,
I am with you! In fact, Chee Kam was charged with the exact same offences as DW. The NRL have already played judge on these but you could have a situation where DW is not guilty and MCK is guilty. Argh! If so, will MCK be suspended longer than DW was stood down?

Also, I find it interesting that parra have stood down Terepo for being drunk and obnoxious on a flight (no charges). On the other hand, Souths see no reason to suspend Greg Inglis after being found guilty of driving offences. I actually give credit to the Eels for at least trying to implement standards amongst their playing Group.

Agree. And we've all seen/read about males killed by a punch.
What about if the male is a policeman? Crimes against Police are treated more seriously.
You see, when you have these arbitrary rules such as 'women and children offences are more serious, then you created an Animal Farm-type society and open up a legal minefield. I guess Shoddy is comfortable with subverting legalities.
Sorry!
In order of ability to survive an attack by an NRL player:
1. Man
2. Woman
3. Child

Just the way it is.

Sorry!
In order of ability to survive an attack by an NRL player:
1. Man
2. Woman
3. Child

Just the way it is.
I'm sorry but I've seen some of the female rugby league players and they would survive an attack far better than I would.
And by the way the law would say a cab driver is in a vulnerable position and therefore an offence against a cabbie is aggravated.

I'm sorry but I've seen some of the female rugby league players and they would survive an attack far better than I would.
And by the way the law would say a cab driver is in a vulnerable position and therefore an offence against a cabbie is aggravated.
Talking in general.
Yes the cab driver is vulnerable as are old blokes like your good self.
I would argue that anyone charged with an act of violence should be subject to the same rule.
And why people keep throwing children into the argument is beyond me. They are the most vulnerable. And here we are at Dylan Walker who is charged with attacking a woman with a baby in her arms. Enough for me.

I am with you! In fact, Chee Kam was charged with the exact same offences as DW. The NRL have already played judge on these but you could have a situation where DW is not guilty and MCK is guilty. Argh! If so, will MCK be suspended longer than DW was stood down?

Also, I find it interesting that parra have stood down Terepo for being drunk and obnoxious on a flight (no charges). On the other hand, Souths see no reason to suspend Greg Inglis after being found guilty of driving offences. I actually give credit to the Eels for at least trying to implement standards amongst their playing Group.
Inglis was guilty of a crime that could have killed or injured multiple people ie speeding whilst pissed ,not only have Souths pardoned him ,but for some inexplicable reason grenburg saw fit to give this DV offender a free pass ......???
How does that work?
It all just adds up to the only true statement door knobb head has uttered since he 1st blackened the NRL stage and that is "consistency is over rated" ,a statement which he is living up to everyday.
It's a debacle and he is a disgrace
Go Manly

Walker who is charged with attacking a woman with a baby in her arms. Enough for me.
Exactly, quite inexcusable.
Also children (unless we are talking about 110 kilo 17 year olds) but as for women? I'm interested to know what women here think about being considered vulnerable by definition, I know some who find it patronising.

Exactly, quite inexcusable.
Also children (unless we are talking about 110 kilo 17 year olds) but as for women? I'm interested to know what women here think about being considered vulnerable by definition, I know some who find it patronising.
For me, as a woman, I find anything assuming I'm not intelligent or able to take care of myself, patronising. But I could not now, nor at any point of my life, defend myself against the strength of the vast majority of men.

They should just publicise the criteria Todd uses to determine whether to stand a player down or not, so these outrageous allegations of favouritism can be thwarted.

There is a clear criteria, in order of diminishing importance, as follows:

1. Whether Todd likes them: If he does they're in the clear no matter what, and will get a reference if it is required. If he doesn't they will be stood down and hung out to dry. Most players fall somewhere in the middle on this measure so in most cases it won't be a determining factor. It's also worth noting that if Todd swept things under the carpet for a player before (hypothetically, of course) and they make him look like a corrupt liar by f***ing again they will be banned from the game.

2. Whether Nick says it is ok
: As everyone knows Nick has a veto right for any decision in the game, which he famously called on in respect of every refereeing decision made by Shayne Hayne's in the 2013 GF. Nick's veto right of course extends to stand downs. Nick probably won't exercise that right most of the time as he couldn't care less (as most teams have less than half a dozen internationals, so aren't really even a remote threat to the Chooks). However if a Roosters player is involved in an incident, Nick will say allow Todd to stand them down if he is trying to push them out of the club (ie. if the SKD situation happened now), but if they are important to the team and in their future plans Nick will ensure they stay on the field. Nick will apply, and be granted, for the salary cap exemption whether the player is stood down or not (like it matters!).

3. What the media is saying: This is largely controlled by the first 2 criteria, as Todd has always aimed to rule the media like a dictator under the innocuous guise of "talk up the game!". Nevertheless, there are some loose canons out there that Todd can't control and if there is a journo on a crusade against a player (Peter Fitzsimmons is probably the most likely candidate), the NRL will do whatever the journo wants (unless it conflicts with criteria 1 and 2, obviously).

4. Which club they play for: The policy is a great opportunity to lay the boot into the "unfavoured" clubs who won't be able to replace players even if granted cap relief (which they have to apply for, to enable even more discretion for Todd). The odds of a Broncos, Storm or Roosters star being stood down are 1000000/1 (unless the relevant club is trying to push them out, or they are an unimportant player). Todd likes to use the term "eyeballing" when he is making decisions based on this criteria.

5. The player's ability: No names are far more likely to be hung out to dry than superstars. If Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk were charged with mass murdering a class of schoolgirls Todd would put in a reference, post bail and do whatever else it took to ensure they didn't miss a game. However if a fringe first grader gets into a bar fight the NRL will throw the book at them.

7. The player's alleged conduct: The word of any member of the public is to be believed over the word of the players, no matter how far fetched their story may be (with the obvious exclusion of those players who are untouchable in accordance with criteria 1 and 2). Allegations from the public will not be tested or subject to any form of burden of proof whatsoever. The legal system can worry about those silly things. The NRL is above that and is in fact considering approaching the government if Rugby League Central can be deemed a sovereign state so it can officially be no longer bound by those archaic and silly legal concepts like "natural justice", "procedural fairness" and "precedents", which the NRL has replaced with the far superior concept of "Todd's discretion".

8. The player's actual conduct: In extreme circumstances it has been rumoured that the NRL may actually go so far as to consider what the player actually did. If the rumour is true (and I have my doubts), it is believed that this criteria will carry very little weight in determining whether or not the stand down rule is applied.

It's so very simple.

Toodles should have no say in standing down a player period.
There should be no bias.
There should be no wriggle room.
All NRL contracts when registered should contain a section setting out a clear and defined position in relation to bad behaviour.

A good start would be a charter along the lines of:

1. You as a player if charged by police are stood down until you are either cleared or charges dropped.
2. You as a player in a privileged position must be accountable for your actions.
3. You as a player must accept this rule in its entirety if you choose to play this great game.
4. You as a player will be entitled to 25% of your contract while stood down to be paid by the NRL directly.
5. You as a player have the ability to not put yourself in a position where you cause damage to the Brand.
6. You as a player have a 2 incident career threshold for convictions. In other words 2 strikes and you are gone. For good.

See where I'm going with this. Put the onus on the players or risk ending up in the real world doing a real job for not much.

The restraint of trade thing is BS if the contract states clearly the players obligation to the game above all else.

Now I know we may have no players left to fill the competition but something has to give.

Finally just act like a grown up and not a spoilt prick of a child and you will be fine.

For me, as a woman, I find anything assuming I'm not intelligent or able to take care of myself, patronising. But I could not now, nor at any point of my life, defend myself against the strength of the vast majority of men.
Nuts. Kick them in the nuts.:D
*apologies for not being serious about a serious topic.

It's so very simple.

Toodles should have no say in standing down a player period.
There should be no bias.
There should be no wriggle room.
All NRL contracts when registered should contain a section setting out a clear and defined position in relation to bad behaviour.

A good start would be a charter along the lines of:

1. You as a player if charged by police are stood down until you are either cleared or charges dropped.
2. You as a player in a privileged position must be accountable for your actions.
3. You as a player must accept this rule in its entirety if you choose to play this great game.
4. You as a player will be entitled to 25% of your contract while stood down to be paid by the NRL directly.
5. You as a player have the ability to not put yourself in a position where you cause damage to the Brand.
6. You as a player have a 2 incident career threshold for convictions. In other words 2 strikes and you are gone. For good.

See where I'm going with this. Put the onus on the players or risk ending up in the real world doing a real job for not much.

The restraint of trade thing is BS if the contract states clearly the players obligation to the game above all else.

Now I know we may have no players left to fill the competition but something has to give.

Finally just act like a grown up and not a spoilt prick of a child and you will be fine.

I think you are on the right track but I have a huge problem with players being suspended for being CHARGED. I think that idea displays a fundamental misunderstanding of our legal system and/or an attempt by the NRL to put itself above it, as well as total disregard for the welfare of the players.

Being charged with something horrific that you didn’t do is an ordeal that anyone would struggle to cope with. Having Todd take your livelihood away at the same time is something nobody should have to endure.

At least Gallop claimed Stewart’s suspension was for another reason (being drunk at the launch). Even he knew it wasn’t right to suspend Stewart for being charged, and he’s hardly the brightest light on the Christmas tree. And Stewart got 4 weeks, not 2 years.

If Stewart was suspended (or “no fault stood down”) that very likely would have spelled the end of his career when he still had so much to offer. And who knows the consequences on his life more generally. Who knows what the consequences would have been on his mental health - charged for something he didn’t do, bullied by the media and sold out by the game he loved and has forged a career in. If I put myself in his shoes I seriously don’t know if I could’ve handled all that.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10