CEO Gone

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy to take on the role, I'm pretty busy ATM moment but a few miricals here and there and feel I could be quite successful in the role.
I thought you would be far to busy processing all the desperate prays from the likes of Trent Barrett as well as just about every desperate parramatta fan. I suspect Biff would also be using up quite a bit of your time as well. I mean help with new profile names.

and has a very talented son
Unfortunately I don’t think there was anything the club could do other than come to this conclusion with the situation they faced.

Some further detail here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220402-145159_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220402-145159_Facebook.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 7
Well damn, and if it does involve someone's personal finances and debts (particularly if due to gambling), PLEASE people be respectful and controlled. Don't go all "rugby league fan" here. Let's moderate our comments. Stephen has achieved wonderful things at our club, and he'd be going through stress, anxiety & who knows what other types of thought's.

He will probably never read this, but:

Stephen,

You had the "Ben Kennedy" affect for us, but off the park. We were struggling with sponsorship. We were struggling with political infighting. We were struggling financially. We had no light at the end of the "upgrade Brooky Oval" tunnel.

You turned all that completely around.

I hope you go onto much bigger and better things, and find all the success in the world. You've left a legacy, and that's a club in a much healthier state than you arrived. A club that's not arguing through the media.

Thank you for your service and effort. If / when a replacement is found, they have very big shoes to fill. All the best mate. Keep your head up, keep the noise out, focus on family, friends and health. You've done us proud.

Ryan

Manly boss quits after sponsors raise concerns​

By Adrian Proszenko

April 2, 2022 — 1.47pm

Manly have accepted the resignation of Stephen Humphreys after several sponsors informed the club that the departing chief executive had approached them regarding his personal financial situation.
Humphreys was poised to front the board this week to respond to alleged corporate governance issues that were raised during a board meeting on Thursday night. Instead, Humphreys tendered his resignation late on Friday, which the club accepted.

Sources with knowledge of the situation have told The Sun-Herald that Humphreys had approached several sponsors that he had been dealing with professionally regarding club matters about his own financial situation. When some of those Sea Eagles backers relayed the situation to club powerbrokers, Humphreys’ position was deemed untenable.
Attempts to contact Humphreys for comment were unsuccessful.

“The board of the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles has accepted the resignation of chief executive officer Stephen Humphreys, effective immediately,” the club said in a statement on Friday night.
“The resignation comes after discussions with the board. Sea Eagles director and part owner Gary Wolman has been appointed interim CEO while recruitment for a permanent CEO is underway.”
Former Manly chief executive Stephen Humphreys with star Tom Trbojevic.

Former Manly chief executive Stephen Humphreys with star Tom Trbojevic.Credit:Getty

The club is now on the lookout for yet another chief executive, having churned through more than a dozen since the demise of the Northern Eagles debacle 22 years ago. Lyall Gorman, Tim Cleary, Joe Kelly, David Perry, Grant Mayer, Graham Lowe, Pat Wilson, Paul Cummings (twice) and Ian Thomson are among those who have spent time in rugby league’s most volatile position.
“Obviously this is a disappointing development we weren’t expecting,” Manly chairman Scott Penn told The Sun-Herald. “I have to say the club has never been in better shape on or off the field. Our financials are strong, the new centre of excellence has just opened, we’ve got a fantastic new northern grandstand with promising signs of a bigger redevelopment on the cards.

“The club’s future has never looked brighter and now we’re embarking on a search to find the right person to take us to even greater heights.”
While there has been a steady turnover of bosses in the front office, the dramas haven’t affected team performance. Along with the Storm and the Roosters, the Sea Eagles have been among the NRL’s most consistent performers in the past two decades, winning two premierships in that time.
“The important thing is that whilst there has been an unfortunate turnover of the CEO role, the majority of that turnover has been due to unforeseen circumstances rather than any systemic issues,” Penn said.
“The board has been incredibly solid and we’ve had the same board for almost a decade. The football operations is incredibly strong and the administration is incredibly strong, it’s just unfortunate that it has been circumstantial at times regarding the CEO role.

“We’re very excited about our future and it’s something we’ll deal with quickly.”
Asked if he was concerned the chief executive role was a poisoned chalice, Penn replied: “No, it’s not a concern. We have the opportunity now to reset and make sure we find the right person for the next five to 10 years.”

Last edited by a moderator:
So he wanted financial favours, money or both from our sponsors.
He should have been working out invisible third party agreements for our players to relieve salary cap pressures, rather than line his own pockets.

Good riddance if true.

Sad.
Gambling destroys so many.
And yet here we are with our shiny new sponsors, Pointsbet.
Sourced by Humphries you'd have to guess.
Irony doesn't cover it.

He should have been working out invisible third party agreements for our players to relieve salary cap pressures, rather than line his own pockets.

Good riddance if true.
Just hope you never lose hope or need help in life mate. If you do, I hope you get the "good riddance" type comments in your time of need to understand what lack of empathy you've just shown.

Good riddance if true.
he'd go well at the riff!

Eerie echoes of his father’s 1983 denouement, for those of us with long memories.

Found this on Wikipedia:

‘Scandal
In 1983, the Australian ABC-TV current affairsprogramme Four Corners, aired an episode entitled "The Big League". Reporter Chris Masters described allegations of corruption within the NSWRL, including suggestions that officials were siphoning funds from particular clubs and international matches, while players and spectators endured sub-standard facilities.[7] Following the broadcast of the Four Corners program Humphreys resigned as Chairman of the NSWRL and ARL. He was replaced by Tom Bellew in the former position and by Ken Arthurson in the latter.

As a result of the program, a Royal Commission (the Street Royal Commission) was formed whose findings resulted in New South Wales chief magistrate Murray Farquhar being sent to prison, Humphreys' career ending abruptly and ABC being sued for libel by the then NSW State Premier, Neville Wran (who eventually settled out of court). Humphreys also received a $4000 fine and was placed on a "two year good behaviour bond". Humphreys later made a public apology.‘

Ironic too that Ken Arthurson of Manly ultimately replaced him. Then Humphreys the Younger winds up at Manly, only to fall on his sword after his own murky dealings.

Just hope you never lose hope or need help in life mate. If you do, I hope you get the "good riddance" type comments in your time of need to understand what lack of empathy you've just shown.

Seriously, get off your high horse and keep your sanctimonious personal insults to yourself.

If it is true what Humphrey's has done, what empathy does he deserve ?

He is the highly paid CEO, not the cleaner.

Last edited:
Seriously, get off your high horse and keep your sanctimonious personal insults to yourself.

If it is true what Humphrey's has done, what empathy does he deserve ?

He is the highly paid CEO, not the cleaner.

I'm not relating it to me. It's about you showing 0 empathy to another human being in a dark place. We all have to sleep at night. If you want to kick a bloke when he's down, that's on your conscious (if you have one). Says more about you, than them tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8