Can we beat a top 3 / 4 side?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think he’s cactus. I was a big fan a few years ago but he’s been thieving off the club for a while now. That offload before half time is not FG rugby league. The attempted tackle on Burgess is not FG rugby league.

I would be happy for Manly to release him before June 30 and free up the cap space...trouble is no one will take him for the money he stands to earn for the remainder of the season.

I’m so incensed by his performance that I would almost walk up to him and demand an apology for disrespecting the jumper and I weight about 100kg less than him.

It was a disgusting performance. Potentially cost us the game.

I can accept that offload from a rookie, but not from a guy who has played as much footy as Taupau. It’s unacceptable.
An offload is passing to someone while you are getting tackled. Just throwing the ball away is not an offload.

The answer is a resounding yes from me. We are putting a lot of points on so called good teams without Turbo and other outs, and with only 12 players last night. This is in stark contrast to previous seasons where we didn’t know where the points would come from. Throw the likes of Tommy, Guac and Aloai back into the mix, and I’m confident we will be a very formidable beast. Also like the defensive structure more this year, and overall determination not to throw the towel in when facing adversity. This season is far from over, and I expect us to be right in the mix at the business end.

Last edited:
Well Souths aren’t currently a top side, they lost to the Broncos and Tigers this year. Saying Manly would’ve beaten them full strength is true, but it doesn’t mean Manly can beat a top side.

Finishing top 4 last year was a good achievement, but they lost by 40 first week of the finals and were down about 22-0 at half time in the prelim.

I find the whole “flat track bullies” criticism immature and the “can’t beat a top 4 side” argument lazy. They beat Parramatta who were in the top 4.

Manly are clearly behind Penrith and Melbourne, as are most sides, although Parramatta have proven they can beat Melbourne…Manly haven’t.

So taking the title at face value, yes Manly can beat a top 3/4 side, but I can’t see them beating a top 2 side.

People are rightly upset with the Marty stupid offload....not seeing the same vitriol though with the DCE crazy pass to Saab. That was even worse.... a 0% play just as we had our throat on the necks in the first half. There are many stupid errors we can point the finger at. Marty absolutely deserves the criticism but in my eyes that ridiculous DCE pass was really the game killer. It was early in the tackle count and we had the Rabbits on the ropes. Dumb dumb and dumber. So maybe a bit of evenness in the outrage relating to boneheaded plays. Marty is the new flogging horse.

How long has it been again? The other teams bus could get caught in a traffic jam and arrive a bit late I guess. That seems to be enough to throw our team off.

We don’t have the props to win the comp. Aloiai is good, but always missing. Keppie, Taupau, Sipley and Boyle aren’t going to get it done.

I like Koula and Tuipulotu in the side which will add to our strike; however, we need more mobile and effective middles.

Oh ffs. So over this. We were a top four side last year and beat ourselves plenty of times.
End of argument.
Hey BE I’ve used that one before too LOL.

Seriously though this argument of not beating a top 4 (now top 3 it seems) is a bit strange and seems to change depending on the person who’s arguing it. Eg we lose to Cronulla and they’ll prob be top 4, yet last year we beat Parra twice who were top 4 all year and finished 5th I think (so essentially top 4 if we ain’t there), Easts in finals etc. we lose to Souths and what they are still a top 4 team?? It’s bizarre.

Every year there are plenty of tough games and we win a bunch of them! This year seems to be shaping as a bit closer than others and so far there’s 2 teams that are clearly a level above right now. Injuries can dramatically change that tho.

I’m very confident we are slowly building and hopefully our injuries have come at a time that’s not critical. We are one win better placed this year to where we were last year with very winnable games v tigers, Broncs and Eels upcoming. Then we have a big one v Melb to see where we are really at. I’m looking forward to the run!

Ok the last 2 weeks hasn’t really been a real indication where we’re at harper killed us,lawton gets sent off still have a few players out.We’ve piled on points meaning we can score i also thought we were galant defending most of the game a player short.God help them all when we’re full strength then we’ll see the real manly.

We don’t have the props to win the comp. Aloiai is good, but always missing. Keppie, Taupau, Sipley and Boyle aren’t going to get it done.

I like Koula and Tuipulotu in the side which will add to our strike; however, we need more mobile and effective middles.
You forgot Paseka who I rate highly, just a shame this injury as come when he was building nicely for our games ahead.

To be honest most of the sides in positions 3 to about 10 are potentially top 4 sides, including us.

Because let’s face it other than two sides who are streets , avenues , even whole cities in front of the other 14 sides , the next 8 have the potential.

There is enough talent in the current squad, it’s how it is used and played, I think the best 17 to give the topsides a run is the 17 below.

1. Turbo
2. Garrick
3. Tippytoes
4. Koula
5. Jorge
6. Schuster
7. Foran
8. Jake
9. DCE
10. Alioia
11. Guaca
12. Davey
13. Walker
14. Croker
15. Keppie
16. Tent
17. Tuitavake
I like DCE going to hooker. Foz is better than Dce in the halves. Horhay should be at least good to stiffen that right side defence.👌

Ok the last 2 weeks hasn’t really been a real indication where we’re at harper killed us,lawton gets sent off still have a few players out.We’ve piled on points meaning we can score i also thought we were galant defending most of the game a player short.God help them all when we’re full strength then we’ll see the real manly.
Yep agreed, and we still had the fight and the right attitude to hang on in those games. Both games could've gotten way uglier, and I believe we've matured after finals and the round 1 and 2 losses this year, that we have to work to turn around this top team curse. We just couldn't fully show it in the last two games. We will get troops back, and get wins under our belt and try again with Parra Melbourne round 11 and 12.

I took more away from the last 2 losses than I did from the titans win and knights win..

We shoulda beaten the sharks… they are a good side and they never looked like scoring once we mercifully hooked Harper… if koula started that game it’s a completely different outcome.. but we showed character in the comeback..
Friday night we were cruelled from the get go… down a man, we still looked the better team until tapaus brain fart and useless tackling ability..
The fact we were still in the contest until the last 15 minutes is a huge positive..

I still think we need a proper hooker to be a legit threat, but I’m more confident of beating top sides when we are at “full strength “ Then I was last year..
(As long as Harper stays out of the team)

If we were all fit & no suspensions we have a chance of a top for win.

As we are we have more chance of watching the pope lay an egg live on nine news tonight.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8