C. Sironen

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don't mean to sound rude (this is just a topic im passionate about). We can't rely on the past, people are saying that Sironen is immobile and a bad passer based off of observation over the last few seasons. Yes in his past he was a 5/8, but so was Moses Mbye, yet now these players have lost their instincts and become new players. Sironen is outdated, never passes to our backs (since maybe 2018?) and relies on the same outside-inside play off dce rather than use footwork because his knees aren't allowing him to move and react on the go. He needs to go I feel. Lucky for us his past reputation is still prevalent (as evident by many on here talking about his good passing potential and great defence, which also has been ruined by his leg injuries and age). Clubs will happily buy him, and he may well do an ok job in a side that already has enough talent in the squad. But we need to evolve our edges, and imo he is a player that holds that edge back (as does Jetski who plays very similar, doesn't dent line, doesn't pass, poor reads in defence, slow)
Are you a financial adviser?
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results"......

I get your point, however if we release him do you think we keep Jake on $950k?? Noway Jake is worth anywhere near $950k! If you feel Siro is only worth $200k then Jake is max $450k.....to me it would make more sense to release Jake, keep Siro on a reduced salary & get 2 decent forwards with Jakes money. I feel Siro offers more when playing. Jake does nothing but tackle. Just my opinion!
Whilst on the surface it makes sense can you imagine the outcry and repercussions. Tom would walk and with them a lot of sponsorships. The whole club would be in worse chaos than now. Any resemblance of culture would be stripped away. It would take a decade to recover. We will come out of this mess but it's going to take leadership from senior Manly blood to do it.

Mate it’s a really tuff one, I’m not placing values in terms of dollars on anyone and I don’t want to put either of the lads down, thats not it. Jake is as much of a victim of the new game as Sirro and Jake is certainly on overs regardless, the thing i find the hardest to swallow about Jake is the length of his contract, 6 years, will our club ever learn, no player in today’s game should be signed beyond 3 years, (unless there are exceptional circumstance) can you imagine how he’ll be going in 6 years, I can’t see how he will, i would like our club to have the opportunity to go to market with their combined cap allocation and bring some speed and youth into the equation, only problem with that is I have no confidence in our club recruiting well, I guess we will just have to wait and see on Sirro and hope that Jake will provide some value up front in the coming years, because he won’t be able to stay at 13, you need your 13 to have a similar games to Murray and Yeo.
True mate.....I’m concerned if we release both Marty & Siro we lose experience in our forwards. We have Paseka, Keppie, Olakau’atu, Saddler, Sione Fainu, Tuitavake who still need these guys. We also unfortunately lost Keith Titmuss....Jurbo & Davey still there so at least some older heads. I think Gosiewski is surplus to requirement....I had high hopes for him but he hasn’t produced. AFB was a huge loss & now Marty told his contract won’t be renewed. Obviously the reason for his lack of involvement the last few weeks. I dunno what goes thru our retention teams heads! Also I’m not sure if the reported interest in Brown will benefit us to be honest. Do we need to go to market for forwards? Yes we need a hooker desperately. Who knows what the outcome will be with Fainu. We’ve signed Lawton which is great albeit I wish he wasn’t injured. I feel It’s our backs that need ‘refurbishment’..... DCE, Foran out of touch & in their twilight years, Parker too slow & ineffective, our best Centre playing out of position for the last 3 years, winger issues although hoping Saab & Tuipulotu come of age, Suli needs more ball, Trbos injury problems, will Funa get better, Harper needs more game time, one bright light is Koula & cannot wait to see him given a shot in 1st grade. We have the makings of a great team whether next year or the year after but we need to do a Penrith & take risks!!!! Surely we couldn’t do any worse than we are now by giving a few of these guys a chance to shine??????

He has averaged 14 games a year for 10 years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-07-19-40-26-75.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-04-07-19-40-26-75.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 19
Sirro returns between round 6 and 8 and he has until the end of the season to put a price tag on his performances on his final year of his contract

We need fire power out wide to match the other dynamic teams

Sirro needs to fire up when he returns

Our main problem is our pack is too big, slow and unfit. Negotiating to re-sign Sironen shows that Des may not have a plan to adapt to the new rules and perhaps is in denial and still trying to play the old game. If the other forwards were more moblie then Jake would not have to work as hard in defense and would have more energy left for attack. If our forwards were more mobile they would also be able to slide quicker and not leave the centres (who are also slow) exposed.

Our main problem is our pack is too big, slow and unfit. Negotiating to re-sign Sironen shows that Des may not have a plan to adapt to the new rules and perhaps is in denial and still trying to play the old game. If the other forwards were more moblie then Jake would not have to work as hard in defense and would have more energy left for attack. If our forwards were more mobile they would also be able to slide quicker and not leave the centres (who are also slow) exposed.

Big(s) not bad. Look at Nelson Asofa-Solomona. Massive unit. The difference is he's aggressive, intense, passionate, plays the ball lightning fast - everything our plods don't do.

As much as Siro has experience, that is about the only positive I see. He's basically become a no passing ball hogger with bad knees.

At best I would say he's worth 250-300k. Any more than that and I would let him go. But the way things have gone lately, somehow I can see him coming out of this with at least 500k from the club.

I don’t believe we can strip ALL the experience from our team.

At $250k Curtis is an important part of the mix, even if as a bench player.

Anything more and it’s seeya ( IMO).
i would keep him for 250k but anything more is questionable

i also would try and have him competing with davey and another decent 2row for the one backrow spot. or sign someone and have davey/olakauatu/sironen all compete for 1 spot.

Sironen as our no 1 in pecking order 2row and starting is extremely weak considering how poor he has become

another question is experience - what experience does he provide in terms of success? has never won a comp or been around a team thats half decent besides maybe when we came 6th for manly in 2019.

i would keep him for 250k but anything more is questionable

i also would try and have him competing with davey and another decent 2row for the one backrow spot. or sign someone and have davey/olakauatu/sironen all compete for 1 spot.

Sironen as our no 1 in pecking order 2row and starting is extremely weak considering how poor he has become

another question is experience - what experience does he provide in terms of success? has never won a comp or been around a team thats half decent besides maybe when we came 6th for manly in 2019.
Experience as in game time mostly , agree with your last paragraph otherwise.

Old mate Moley says that whilst there will be a clean out at Manly come seasons end, Curtis would not be one of those.

No drama with that , at the right price , if it’s a huge contract that’s just stupid given his annual injury woes.

But happy to see him stay.

Think that Siro would expect a bit more then 250 k to stay but not that much more [ and that he would be worth now ] . Player that can offer a lot when fully fit and if used properly , but has been a bit lacking and inconsistent in that area for a while now . Looks like that an amicable arrangement is being considered for him to stay , and just have to hope that it can work out if he is retained .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4