Brett Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It was nice to see Billy Slater acknowledge Brett's consistent comeback from debilitating injuries in the post game interview.
It also prompted me to check the numbers. Brett now has 149 tries (from 201 club games, which is a 74.1% strike rate). This compares to Slater (270 games, 170 tries, 62.3%), Inglis (202 games, 126 tries, 62.4%) and Hayne (176 games, 101 tries, 58.5% -- he's always been behind a losing team, though). Even now, Brett still has the highest strike rate.
The thing is, as we all know, he missed almost three full seasons - 2003, 2009, 2010.
If he had played those seasons, and had about the same game count as Slater, at anything like the strike rate he was scoring in the years before/after, he might have been scoring his 200th try on Saturday.
Allowing for the impact of his injuries since then, which has slowed him down, without injury he would have been a fair shot at running down Ken Irvine's all time try scoring record of 230 before retiring.
He doesn't seem to count these records, though. I remember a few years ago he passed to Kieran Foran when they were both over the try line and in the clear. Foz had joked that he never got to score tries, so Brett just threw him one for a laugh and as a mate. Or the numerous try assists he now does.

Wonderful to see Snake playing with a smile on his face, and showing that unbridled passion at the end.

Also massively positive to see him turn up to press conferences. He has always been painfully shy with the media, and given what happened in 09 he went even further in his shell (unsurprisingly). He seems intent on providing Killer and Tooves with some much needed backup. And that's exactly what's needed. Killer, Snake, Skivvy and Matty Ballin need to lead us through the next period. Bringing through Turbos, Gutho, Hiku etc.

I didn't see a lot of Eadie, but Snake is the best Manly fullback I've seen. It's almost criminal how he gets forgotten about in great fullback discussions in the modern game.

Slater does that the most. Whenever interviewed he rarely mentions Stewart. And Sterlo, R Warren etc, just go along with it. Give me Snake anyday - Slater is a grub, and hasn't the footy brains of Brett Stewart. Yes, has eclipsed Wombat by a goodly margin these days. But dont forget Wombat had goal kicking duties, and was the Kangaroo fullback for years.

I enjoyed seeing Snake in the press conference. He spoke more than Tooves and killer combined. I take that as a sign, he is now Top Dog at the club (captaincy aside).

It was nice to see Billy Slater acknowledge Brett's consistent comeback from debilitating injuries in the post game interview.
It also prompted me to check the numbers. Brett now has 149 tries (from 201 club games, which is a 74.1% strike rate). This compares to Slater (270 games, 170 tries, 62.3%), Inglis (202 games, 126 tries, 62.4%) and Hayne (176 games, 101 tries, 58.5% -- he's always been behind a losing team, though). Even now, Brett still has the highest strike rate.
The thing is, as we all know, he missed almost three full seasons - 2003, 2009, 2010.
If he had played those seasons, and had about the same game count as Slater, at anything like the strike rate he was scoring in the years before/after, he might have been scoring his 200th try on Saturday.
Allowing for the impact of his injuries since then, which has slowed him down, without injury he would have been a fair shot at running down Ken Irvine's all time try scoring record of 230 before retiring.
He doesn't seem to count these records, though. I remember a few years ago he passed to Kieran Foran when they were both over the try line and in the clear. Foz had joked that he never got to score tries, so Brett just threw him one for a laugh and as a mate. Or the numerous try assists he now does.

I know you're looking at fullbacks but just for interest sake, Manu Vatuvei has a 70% strike rate, and Brett Morris (who is now a fullback); 67%. I do think it's easier for wingers to get their tally up because they just have finish off movements a lot of time.

The thing that worries me the most is that "Cafegate" unearthed the fact that Choc and Foz were signed sealed and delivered to Parra months ago. Both of these turned out to be true. Given that the Cafe of Knowledge has now been proven to be beyond reproach as a source of player transfer information, when is Snake announcing his move to the Titans as that was the third chapter in the book of revelations. I'll be gutted when that one is inevitably announced.

Maybe on that day, he was pretending he was $₵€

You know, I would say Snake is the leading candidate for the NSW fullback spot. Dugan is out injured, Hayne is gone, and lets not kid ourselves - it doesn't matter that he's currently playing FB for the Dogs, a fit Brett Morris will be on the wing.

The biggest threat to Snake regaining the NSW #1 jumper is Matt Moylan from Penrith. He was part of the Kangaroos 4 Nations squad last year and the only reason he didn't play was because the Aussies dug themselves a hole by losing to NZ at Suncorp in their first game and forced Sheens to play Inglis in the remaining games (if things had gone to plan I think he would have been slated to play against Samoa). He was also a number of people's Man of the Match against the Tits in Bathurst last Saturday so he's going ok.

If Daley goes for youth then provided he's not injured it'll be Moylan. Otherwise I would say Snake has the runs on the board. His leadership and experience will be vital to the Blues.

Last edited:
The sad part is that Beaver should still hold the record. How many more tries would he have scored at Brookie if it wasn't for the move to Gosford. Having said that, Snake is so good he would have surpassed it anyway!

Also, how good way that try saver last weekend! He brilliance in attack is only surpassed by his perfection in defence!

The sad part is that Beaver should still hold the record. How many more tries would he have scored at Brookie if it wasn't for the move to Gosford. Having said that, Snake is so good he would have surpassed it anyway!

Also, how good way that try saver last weekend! He brilliance in attack is only surpassed by his perfection in defence!

By all reports, the legend killed it in the U.K. Damn it all. I loved Grant Mayer, but think this was one of his error's in judgment.

They wont go with Snake, and I'm very passionate about NSW, but I think its the right decision for NSW. I just think he's too injury prone and that period for someone with a history of injury is a worry. Plus he's not a fullback who will charge at the line, which typically NSW have wanted (with players like Hayne and Dugan). Snake would let no-one down (as he never has with NSW or Manly), and would add plenty with his link play, but I do believe they'll go with Moylan. And I must say I like Moylan, he seems pretty level headed and is a class player. He could definitely make the spot his own for 5-8 years.

Moylan will get is and it will be his for many years to come by the looks of things.

He will be aussie fullback in a few years time as well

Reflecting on the sheer 'brutality' of SOO, particularly the first match, and the third match when its 'the decider', yes, it is probably best for Manly and probably for Snake's health, if he doesn't actually play. But its like getting an invite to a party you know you cant attend: it's 'still nice to be invited'.

Thinking selfishly I don't think we need Snake stretching his hamstrings in an Origin campaign - and I reckon Moylan is a superstar in the making and should get a chance to be a ten year fullback.

As good as Brett is and has been , he stills drifts in and out of games these days - he paces himself, and we need to save his petrol for the maroon and white.

You know, I would say Snake is the leading candidate for the NSW fullback spot. Dugan is out injured, Hayne is gone, and lets not kid ourselves - it doesn't matter that he's currently playing FB for the Dogs, a fit Brett Morris will be on the wing.

The biggest threat to Snake regaining the NSW #1 jumper is Matt Moylan from Penrith. He was part of the Kangaroos 4 Nations squad last year and the only reason he didn't play was because the Aussies dug themselves a hole by losing to NZ at Suncorp in their first game and forced Sheens to play Inglis in the remaining games (if things had gone to plan I think he would have been slated to play against Samoa). He was also a number of people's Man of the Match against the Tits in Bathurst last Saturday so he's going ok.

If Daley goes for youth then provided he's not injured it'll be Moylan. Otherwise I would say Snake has the runs on the board. His leadership and experience will be vital to the Blues.
I think you are spot on.

He's a great player, certainly mounting a very strong case for being considered our best ever No. 1.

Just a minor clarification, he hasn't overtaken Beaver as our leading try scorer just yet. He has overtaken him as the leading try scorer at Brookvale, but overall he still needs another 5 tries to become our most prolific. It's only a matter of time though.
further point of clarification. That's if you consider the nrl's ****ed up record book that doesn't count beavers NE tries. He still need 25-30 to pass beaver who I believe should have all his tries and games counted as for the one club!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8