Brett Stewart Pet Play Technical Flaws.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The pet play with Stewart chiming in from behind that Manly have used for years and has always annoyed the hell out of me showed it's technical flaws again during the WCC. Lack of straight flat hole running options infield to slow down the slide or draw in outside defenders and the easy safe option angled run of Stewart can only lead to low percentage outcomes.

1)Stewart scoring almost hitting the post if he outpaces the slide and the winger is nowhere to be seen or he dummies and the winger stays out.

2) Stewart heading towards the corner post again and offering a predictable inside ball to the winger who most times will be wrapped up.

3)Stewart heads towards a winger who is hanging back and throws a pointless no look pass when the only option is the winger---it's telegraphed the winger can take the risk of an intercept knowing the slide has a chance of pushing Stewart into touch.

We need flatter genuine straighter options like the back end of last year to continue and Stewart needs to start running outside in hole lines or running his angled line then stepping back in against the defensive grain just before catching the ball to hit the hole created.

If you slow mo the 27:36sec play during the WCC watch the technically flawed run Stewart has been using and why it needs to be rectified or tweaked. Yes Stewart is forced to run an angled line as he is chiming in from infield in a disguised manner so it will always be angled but he needs to straighten up at some point otherwise the play will be ineffective in it's current form.

Thanks for that. We have other options.

The Stewart play has lost a bit of it's effectiveness because I think Brett has lost a little bit of pace. He is now very quick instead of lightning, makes all the difference when you are trying to squeeze through a sliding gap.

Wtf I thought technical was signed by the bulldogs have we got to put up with his drivel again this season?

Cambo said:
How many tries has he scored that flawed way.

It's becoming less effective each year and i don't think it's due to a loss a pace as this has also been over-stated.

Brett has built up some good upper body strength these past 2-3yrs and has improved his kick returns as a result of this which was one of his major weak points. He now has the upper body strength to bust through tackles and straighten up his lines more if pace is now an issue.

Sheikheagle said:
Wtf I thought technical was signed by the bulldogs have we got to put up with his drivel again this season?

My general rule is don't usually respond to drivel so why don't you use your spare time in a more productive manner in offering alternative options or why the current play is fine in it's current form.

Better yet why would you continue to read comments from a known drivel exponent---you know my style so avoid all my posts not hard to do. I'm sure you have a life beyond maroon and white face painting and dancing the eagle rock in your room while reading my long winded pathetic analysis but if not maybe my drivel gives you something to do.

Sorry just don't see the point of being critical of their set plays before the season has even started. Toovey may be keeping his cards close to his chest.

When executed properly it's almost indefenceable. In the WCC Brett could have run himself and scored as it turned out it was intercepted. But I put than down to the team being a bit rusty as they've have had no games under their belts. I bet there'll be a lot more tries scored off that play this tear.

Low percentage? It's a move we try twice a game at most. If he scores one in 4 times from it we have a 25% effectiveness. When you take into account variables that's a fairly high %.

It has it's flaws sure but even with all your wisdom I doubt you could show me a perfect play unless perhaps you were playing against no other players.

But I like your spirit keep it up...yeah

Why don't you focus un the other Brett Stewart pet play? The inside ball. Seems to score a few tries? Works well with big Tony. Negative bitch.

Keep up the posting TC, I was a critic at first but love your stuff.

Glad you are back.

I dont think its totally a flawed play i think it depends on the Stewart that takes the field that night.

Last year he was clearly hampered with injury so the confidence was down in general and with that play , i think when he keeps them in 2 minds and has his confidence back to hit the hole him self!! and put the foot down then there is nothing wrong with the play

Then if the oppostition sees him hit the hole they are guessing wether he will pass wide or short ,or then hit the hole him self and alot of the time when opposition are second guessing a player with that much speed its often to late

I totally agree this move is getting a little predictable & the reason - though Brett has lost a tad of pace as stated earlier, but the ball never hits a short runner. The best way to beat a sliding defence is to play through it - direct. Realising this move is designed purely to hit Brett 100% of the time behind the line & there has been & will still be numbers created due to Bretts speed & timing, a variation would only open more opportunities.
I still like the move but agree with TC execution needs tweaking. In saying this if we can see this, I'm confident Tooves has it well covered...

I like the move where T Rex throws a no-look inside pass to Stewart who races through so fast his shorts can barely keep up. That move has some potential.

MK Eagle said:
I totally agree this move is getting a little predictable & the reason - though Brett has lost a tad of pace as stated earlier, but the ball never hits a short runner. The best way to beat a sliding defence is to play through it - direct. Realising this move is designed purely to hit Brett 100% of the time behind the line & there has been & will still be numbers created due to Bretts speed & timing, a variation would only open more opportunities.
I still like the move but agree with TC execution needs tweaking. In saying this if we can see this, I'm confident Tooves has it well covered...

We have a few variations on this play now. Instead of going to Brett the ball is pass longer to the man outside and we try to create an overlap where the defense has stopped and shifted back in towards Brett.

On our right hand side, we move towards Gifty instead or take a second option short runner like Rose.

I think we will see Brett playing with more confidence this year and the upper body strength Technical Coach mentioned will come into play as he straightens his attack without fear of injury. Just give him a little time to realise he's not so fragile any more and wait and see.
Our top try scorer again this year..My prediction 20 tries.

Being a tad over picky! The play itself, isn't always run correctly but you need to look at the overall team play. We scored more tries than any other side last year and if part of the reason for that is because teams are putting so much emphasis on defending this particular play it makes them more susceptible to other try scoring avenues then I say don't change a thing.

It's interesting that Jason Taylor identified this play and its variation in his smh article leading up to the grand final. He said all teams know what's coming when manly sweep to the left, but it's still very hard to stop because of the pace and precision of our execution.

Bodies in motion is the key. The more runners that look like they are going to get the ball, the more this creates confusion & indecision in the defending team. I would like to see Snake occasionally used as a decoy this season as opposition players expect him to get the ball & so concentrate on him when he chimes into the line.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6