Boyd Cordner to retire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
According to news.com he is announcing retirement tomorrow due to ongoing issues with concussion. A shame to see him go

Thankfully he was coherent enough to make the decision in time for the Roosters to get some more salary cap exemptions and pick up a few top shelf players on the run to the finals

According to news.com he is announcing retirement tomorrow due to ongoing issues with concussion. A shame to see him go

Thankfully he was coherent enough to make the decision in time for the Roosters to get some more salary cap exemptions and pick up a few top shelf players on the run to the finals
That’s no good for Boyd, a good footballer who put every effort into his game.

So I thought you only got salary cap relief if the player suffered a one-time injury that cut short his career. Isn't that why they refused to give Manly cap dispensation for Matai and Brett Stewart? They were suffering from long-term injuries....
Just like Cordner. He's had multiple concussions.
Now, I think it's only right that a club receives some kind of compensation when a player has to retire prematurely because he suffers from an injury/multiple injuries.
What I need to know is why didn't it happen when two of Manly's best have to retire that that reason?

Medical retirement applies if you sustain a new injury after signing your current contract. In that situation the player still gets paid out but the balance of their contract doesn't count against the cap. Maybe it's paid by the club's insurance? I think it was Watmough's case where the insurance company refused to pay because it was clearly not a new injury, but the NRL (or Greeenberg's daughter's friends) thought a strong Parramatta was good for the game so they were granted medical retirement for Watmough anyway, and hence salary cap exemption for the massive long term deal that lured him away from Manly.

Neither Snake nor Matai had new injuries so it wasn't such a shock they were denied medical retirement. Although of course that didn't stop the NRL allowing Gillett and Burgess, but then again consistency is overrated apparently, or was back then anyway.

Not sure how it will work in Cordner's case. But seeing as it is the Roosters I'm sure they can work something out.

Unfortunately for us, the attempted medical retirements for Snake, Shoulders and Choc did not meet the guidelines listed by the NRL, nothing shifty went on. As for medical retirements granted for players from other clubs and the NRL not allowing Gifty to sign a contract for less money...well those are different animals.

So I thought you only got salary cap relief if the player suffered a one-time injury that cut short his career. Isn't that why they refused to give Manly cap dispensation for Matai and Brett Stewart? They were suffering from long-term injuries....
Just like Cordner. He's had multiple concussions.
Now, I think it's only right that a club receives some kind of compensation when a player has to retire prematurely because he suffers from an injury/multiple injuries.
What I need to know is why didn't it happen when two of Manly's best have to retire that that reason?
What’s annoying is that both Inglis & Burgess retired due to on going injuries yet South’s received ‘compensation’ whilst Manly didn’t.

Cordner may not have played for Manly. In fact, he has a Grand Final win against us.

But regardless who they are or who they play for, I'd never wish for anyone to be forced to retire from playing as a result of repeated concussions. Or any other injury for that matter.

I hope for Cordner and his family's sake that he has no lasting effects and that he can enjoy a long and happy retirement from the game he obviously loved playing (lets face it, they all love playing the game. The fact that some are good enough to have the type of career like Boyd Cordner did and get paid very well for it is really just the bonus to them).

Damm shame.

Hopefully he has no long lasting effects down the line
We’ll for guys like him, wade and friend and others you would think the damage is already done. It won’t be until later in life when it starts to impact them.

What’s annoying is that both Inglis & Burgess retired due to on going injuries yet South’s received ‘compensation’ whilst Manly didn’t.
Inglis didn’t retire due to injuries

Inglis didn’t retire due to injuries
My bad mate……so why were South’s allowed to pay him out yet the money wasn’t included in their salary cap??

Sad really, whole hearted player that played well above his weight, always hit the ball up with venom, captained his club, state and Country, he pretty much achieved everything the game had to offer, couldn‘t help but admire the bloke even though he was a chook, only ever come across as a humble, hard working well liked bloke, well done on a stellar career and I too hope the future passes without complications.

My bad mate……so why were South’s allowed to pay him out yet the money wasn’t included in their salary cap??
That’s where it got murky.I’m not into these conspiracy theories that the NRL are always against Manly but I’m starting to get suspicious that some clubs get better treatment,in this area anyway

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4