Boyd Cordner to retire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Sydney Roosters held a celebration to mark the career of champion backrower Boyd Cordner at Percy’s Hotel in North Sydney last weekend.

All of the Roosters big guns were there to honour a player regarded as one of the toughest to have ever worn the Tricolours jersey.

Powerful Roosters chairman Nick Politis has shown the regard he holds Cordner in by guaranteeing to honour the remaining $1.5 million of his playing contract for 2022 and 2023.

So how does this part work?
"How Powerful Roosters chairman Nick Politis has shown the regard he holds Cordner in by guaranteeing to honour the remaining $1.5 million of his playing contract for 2022 and 2023."

In the salary cap? A gift from a club official to a player, how can that not be in the cap??

So how does this part work?
"How Powerful Roosters chairman Nick Politis has shown the regard he holds Cordner in by guaranteeing to honour the remaining $1.5 million of his playing contract for 2022 and 2023."

In the salary cap? A gift from a club official to a player, how can that not be in the cap??

Wondering the exact same thing myself. Looking forward to a lack of main-stream media questioning possibly followed by some split hair ruling by the nrl explaining why it's all ok.

Meanwhile the nrl gave an implied threat to an ex-ref working with Qld inferring his brother would maybe possibly kinda lose the refereeing rights to game 2 if he continued his consultancy rule - under the reasoning 'things must be transparent'.

So I'm interested in seeing how paying Cordner 1.5m wont be put on the cap of the roosters.

Funny thing is, I'm primed to fully expect it not to be.

You're right about lack of scrutiny by mainstream media, everyone in the game right up to V'landys is terrified of Uncle Nick.
Will the issue even rate a mention? Of course not, I mean its a bit irregular but Boyd is a hell of a guy and its not his fault he hurt his head. Hey he was even NSW captain!
So let's just not mention it, the neanderthal rugby league fan-base is too dim-witted to appreciate the complex issues involved.

Correct, so no need for outrage or salary cap scandal chat

"Powerful Roosters chairman Nick Politis has shown the regard he holds Cordner in by guaranteeing to honour the remaining $1.5 million of his playing contract for 2022 and 2023.

The Roosters were under no obligation to do so but as a benchmark NRL club they knew it was the right way to handle the unwanted retirement of a club champion who has won three premierships."

Disco you may be right but then why that bit? If you have to stop playing due to injuries sustained as a player, the club has a legal obligation to pay you. It isn't something they do as a mark of special respect.
Maybe (probably?) the reporter has got the story all mixed up.
But the way that story is written definitely raises questions about the salary cap.

Cordner insisted he had not retired on medical advice and that it was his choice entirely to walk away, though he sensed his family were concerned about the prospect of him playing on.

“I’ve done so much testing just to make sure that I was OK and the pleasing thing is that that all came back really good. It was all A-plus.

"Powerful Roosters chairman Nick Politis has shown the regard he holds Cordner in by guaranteeing to honour the remaining $1.5 million of his playing contract for 2022 and 2023.

The Roosters were under no obligation to do so but as a benchmark NRL club they knew it was the right way to handle the unwanted retirement of a club champion who has won three premierships."

Disco you may be right but then why that bit? If you have to stop playing due to injuries sustained as a player, the club has a legal obligation to pay you. It isn't something they do as a mark of special respect.
But the way that story is written definitely raises questions about the salary cap.
Possibly the roosters are covering the $1.5mil of his official contract as per protocol and uncle Nick is guaranteeing the brown bag with the other $1.5mil will still be delivered even though he doesn't have to.

Cordner insisted he had not retired on medical advice and that it was his choice entirely to walk away, though he sensed his family were concerned about the prospect of him playing on.

“I’ve done so much testing just to make sure that I was OK and the pleasing thing is that that all came back really good. It was all A-plus.

Dam that explains it 🤔, no medical retirement.
I still like my reason better 😋

How can the Roosters afford to add a player to their roster if they are still paying Cordners multi million dollar contract for the next 2 years which is supposedly part of theirsalary cap?

Surely salary cap breaches will closely follow.

Manly could not sign 2 more players after Twent the wanker medically retired Snake & Matai, although they did not want to go.

How can the Roosters afford to add a player to their roster if they are still paying Cordners multi million dollar contract for the next 2 years which is supposedly part of theirsalary cap?

Surely salary cap breaches will closely follow.

Manly could not sign 2 more players after Twent the wanker medically retired Snake & Matai, although they did not want to go.
Cordner's retirement means his salary doesn't come from their cap, Nick has promised to pay him the amount he would have made if he didn't retire. A gift in some way I imagine. It's shifty for sure but it is probably kosher as far as the NRL is concerned.

Cordner's retirement means his salary doesn't come from their cap, Nick has promised to pay him the amount he would have made if he didn't retire. A gift in some way I imagine. It's shifty for sure but it is probably kosher as far as the NRL is concerned.
Kosher? Paying a player for nothing?? Just for being a good guy and a great player.
How good a guy indeed. Giving up a rich contract when every league fan would assume he has every right to a medical retirement and hence full pay. And his selfless act of retirement happens to mean your club suddenly has bulk dollars available in its salary cap.

Without seeing poor Boyd's brain scans or whatever they have it sounds like he was given a pass on his health report, which is why a medical retirement was not possible. How he got a pass I have no idea, because to any casual observer retirement seems the sensible option.

So, the Chooks have no medical retirement. Yet still get the benefits of one. As does the retiring player!!!

You are right it looks shifty, to put it mildly, and it would be good to know how the NRL consider it kosher. But the point raised earlier in this thread is that you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for that question to be asked by our esteemed NRL journos.

Probably falls into the same basket as the testimonial match for Cam. In other words totally illegal on the NRL's own rules but hey he is a good bloke and a great player and ... we like your club.

Kosher? Paying a player for nothing?? Just for being a good guy and a great player.
How good a guy indeed. Giving up a rich contract when every league fan would assume he has every right to a medical retirement and hence full pay. And his selfless act of retirement happens to mean your club suddenly has bulk dollars available in its salary cap.

Without seeing poor Boyd's brain scans or whatever they have it sounds like he was given a pass on his health report, which is why a medical retirement was not possible. How he got a pass I have no idea, because to any casual observer retirement seems the sensible option.

So, the Chooks have no medical retirement. Yet still get the benefits of one. As does the retiring player!!!

You are right it looks shifty, to put it mildly, and it would be good to know how the NRL consider it kosher. But the point raised earlier in this thread is that you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for that question to be asked by our esteemed NRL journos.

Probably falls into the same basket as the testimonial match for Cam. In other words totally illegal on the NRL's own rules but hey he is a good bloke and a great player and ... we like your club.
Totally agree mate. We could have done the same with Snake and Shoulders...if we had the money.

What is stopping ANY club from gifting a past player? It is what it is.

That makes zero sense.

This did not happen to Souths with Burgess. The $$ supposedly came out of the cap.

If he wasn't medically retired, and east's through uncle Nick still pay him the worth of his remaining contract then it has to be counted as part of the cap pure and simple regardless if he's retired or not. The only exemption should be if medically retired which he isn't.
Anything else is blatant corruption and those responsible should be treated as such.... criminals

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8