Boyd Cordner to retire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sad really, whole hearted player that played well above his weight, always hit the ball up with venom, captained his club, state and Country, he pretty much achieved everything the game had to offer, couldn‘t help but admire the bloke even though he was a chook, only ever come across as a humble, hard working well liked bloke, well done on a stellar career and I too hope the future passes without complications.
Agree with all the above, and he is one of the very few rooster players, I would have loved to have seen in a Manly jumper.

Agree with all the above, and he is one of the very few rooster players, I would have loved to have seen in a Manly jumper.
Yep, I’d of been happy with that too, although there is another one I wouldn’t mind seeing in our colours, could you imagine the Turbo and Teddy show.

My bad mate……so why were South’s allowed to pay him out yet the money wasn’t included in their salary cap??
They didn't. Did they?
If a player retires for any reason it is basically an agreement to end the contract. Ah, too old, can't be bothered to get up and go training, or whatever reason you don't want to fulfill the contract - fine, both parties agree to end the contract. Stop paying me because I don't want to play any more. So the rest of the contract is not counted on the cap. I think this is what happened with Kane Elgey.

But if you are paid out then that has to stay on the cap.

Snake and Matai did not decide to retire and simply walk away without any further pay. They wanted to keep playing and keep being paid. They couldn't play (or not to their previous standard) due to injury, so the club (Barrett) sent them on paid gardening leave.

What is a little more surprising is that certain other players don't seem to have any qualms about giving up their rich contracts. If they are prepared to keep up rehab, or attend training or play reserve grade, the club has to pay them.

In some cases you can't help wondering if a player has been told 'Look mate, retire now so we can use your cap money, we can't officially pay you but don't worry, I, Rusty*, have some good mates who will look after you, all will be good"
* fictitious name plucked from the air as an example

I am sure I read a report ages ago that stated that only 2 requests for medical retirement have ever been knocked back by the nrl. No prizes for guessing who they were

Uncle Nick has it all sorted

Cordner will retire medically unfit and his salary will be exempt from the cap for the remaining term of his contract

With the available funds under the cap Nick has been able to sign all 3 Turbo brothers and Schuster for multi million dollar contracts

When asked about how the roosters were able to do this Nick replied that the club knows how to manage the salary cap better than any other club and that they are able to stretch their cap dollar further than anyone else

Last edited:
Good on Boyd for making the tough decision. Hope he is able to find something fulfilling in his retirement.

While we know contracts mean nothing these days, I must admit I am feeling better knowing that the Trbojevics, Schuster, Paseka and Olakau'atu are signed long term. I reckon the Roosters will have a good crack at Kikau now, as he is off-contract at the end of 2022.

Writing has been on the wall - was really just a matter of when. With Crichton and sitili on edges they won’t lose much

Cordener will retire medically unfit and his salary will be exempt from the cap for the remaining term of his contract

With the available funds under the cap Nick has been able to sign all 3 Turbo brothers and Schuster for multi million dollar contracts

When asked about how the roosters were able to do this Nick replied that the club knows how to manage the salary cap better than any other club and that they are able to stretch their cap dollar further than anyone else

Don't forget that under your scenario Cordner will get some 'employment' in the roosters organisation equivalent to his current contract.

I wish him well in retirement.

Played hard, done good.
Yes, thanks and all the best Boyd. Can't recall him ever being associated with any grubby play or unsavoury off-field stuff. As a player I sometimes thought he was a tad limited and overrated but I guess what he did he did very well, and very consistently, so in the end he was a deserving Origin and test captain, can't do much more than that.

Remember the Roosters were seeking compensation from the NRL for Cordner being out for 12 weeks because they claimed he suffered his latest concussion in S.O.O?

I wonder if they got it?

All the the best to Boyd & I hope he goes on to live a happy & healthy life, but I cant help but suspect his decision to retire was made before the start of this season & the Roosters have used it to gain even more financial benefit from the NRL.

Cordner seemed to have a radar for body contact. Running with the ball he would run for the player not the gap. He ran hard but always got hit hard too. Parker is a bit the same.

I can't recall Cordner ever being hit in the head and concussed.

They all seemed to be his poor tackling technique and getting hit in the head by some guys hip etc.

That said, good luck in retirement.

The upgrades to Walker and co won't impact their cap either. They are the only club who can upgrade without it making the slightest dent in their yearly spend. Whenever the Chooks release, sack, or retire a player, their contract amount is always available in full. Even the Storm aren't as obvious.

Just in case people are feeling sorry for Boyd, I'll just leave this here.

imagev159260e53ff3d7f3f6f8694645b8bc471-41ktq5e7fz3xs5qp0r2_t1880.jpg

Well batted young squire.

In all seriousness, I wish him all the best. Seemed like a great bloke and was never a grubby player.

He might want to rethink his career now he isn't a player.
Take the $700,000pa job on the Roosters coaching staff.
He mentioned he would love to become a professional golfer, sorry Boyd but beating Uncle Nick at golf doesn't mean you can play.

Odd to think he only just turned 29, seems like he has been around longer

Best of luck but I'm sure he'll be well looked after

Cordener will retire medically unfit and his salary will be exempt from the cap for the remaining term of his contract

Dont joke.Uncle will be snooping around to see who is unhappy and wants out of their contracts lol

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8