Blast from the Past

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
View attachment 10451 Plenty of Legends in the pic from the clubs Facebook site - anyone name them all?

The full sleeve jersey is a good 'un.

e1b75ecf-9563-460c-9832-205c5f305fec-jpeg.10451

Blake aged 19 going great in the major semi v parra.

Interesting game. Well worth watching. Crusher on fire, Schubert goes good, Cronin lots of mistakes. Sterling doesn’t outplay Blake.

Blake kicks us out of trouble in the second half.

I reckon Manly got dudded come grand final time in 82 and 83. In both games the referee closed up the 5m something shocking. Jack Gibson knew when to push the rules. You do in a grand final, not in the semis. The Manly backs had no space or time. But in the semis when the Eels were back 5m we smashed them.

Interesting looking back at those grand final teams. Blake & Boyd were both there in '82. I would've lost a schooner if someone had claimed the great Rick Chisholm & Glenn Ryan had played for Manly in a grand final.

1982: Graham Eadie, John Ribot, Chris Close, Michael Blake, Phil Carey, Alan Thompson, Phil Blake, Paul McCabe, Les Boyd, Paul Vautin, Terry Randall, Ray Brown, Geoff Gerard. Walker, Krilich, Thomson.

1983: Eadie, Ribot, Close, Sigsworth, Boustead, Thompson, Phil Blake, Schubert, Cleal, Vautin, McCabe, Brown, Gerard. Reserves: Ryan, Chisholm, M. Blake.

Certainly think that Manly should have won at least one of the G F "s out of 1982 or 3 , definitely had the playing personal but just could not put it together well enough in either game . Think that Manly had a clear advantage in the forwards on both occasions however that Eels back line not only matched Manly s in most positions but could have even had an edge [ not Steve Edge ] on some player comparison basis . Irrespective , after flogging the Eels in consecutive semi finals , was certainly still a let down going down twice to them in successive seasons in the G F .

Still have scars from going to see those 2 GFs. We should've creamed it in 83 but yes Gibbo outsmarted Bozo in tactics and cheating the 5m. Plus stupid Boyd getting suspended again.

Interesting short review of Manly's switch from white jersey in 1984 to the maroon 1987 jersey. Apparently the maroon jersey first appeared in a few games in 1984, then in 1985 went to maroon jersey fulltime. The maroon jersey photo has Alan Thompson, so it must be a 1984 game not 1985.
https://thewraparoundsite.wordpress.com/2019/01/14/the-1985-nswrl-jersey-guide-part-1/

So did Manly not have an alternate maroon jersey in 1976 to 1983?

belmore-ovalrugby-league-manly-vs-canterbury-des-hasler-april-8-1984-picture-id1079301616

This must be the 1984 alternate maroon as the badge has NSWRFL on it and there is a white V neck unlike 1987. All clubs were NSWRL badges by the end of 1984 finals.

l_1985-sticker-2018-(185).jpg

This is 1986 card of Crusher so the photo would be 1985.

l_1986%20card%2020160508%20(70).jpg

Last edited:
Those 70’s teams just dominated.
Could have won nearly every premiership. Such a great era
The Incomparable Immortal and the Greatest player of all time Zachary Robert Fulton was at his peak in the 70s and laid the foundations for his other Manly disciples and legends to follow in his footsteps .
Before The great BOZO there was nothing . No premierships . BOZO led us to the promised land !!!
index.jpg

The Incomparable Immortal and the Greatest player of all time Zachary Robert Fulton was at his peak in the 70s and laid the foundations for his other Manly disciples and legends to follow in his footsteps .
Before The great BOZO there was nothing . No premierships . BOZO led us to the promised land !!!
View attachment 10548

True. But I think I'd give a little nod to Kangaroos 5/8th Wally O'Connell who gave Bozo a lot when he first arrived in 1967 at 18 in first grade. Wally as coach got the team to the final with Bozo just a kid. Bozo also had Frank Stanton at halfback. But you're right, you can take a line of great Manly halves from Arko & Wally coaching Stanton & Bozo who coached Hasler, Lyons & Toovey who coached DCE. All really thanks to Bozo.

True. But I think I'd give a little nod to Kangaroos 5/8th Wally O'Connell who gave Bozo a lot when he first arrived in 1967 at 18 in first grade. Wally as coach got the team to the final with Bozo just a kid. Bozo also had Frank Stanton at halfback. But you're right, you can take a line of great Manly halves from Arko & Wally coaching Stanton & Bozo who coached Hasler, Lyons & Toovey who coached DCE. All really thanks to Bozo.
You certainly know your footy mate !

“He had an opulent fusion of match-winning talents; speed of thought and foot; blended with a single-minded competitiveness.”
Robert SmithThe Sea Eagles Has Landed.

The Incomparable Immortal In his last season as a player with Manly 1976
img_9600.jpg

Funny what you forget. I hated that he left Manly after the 1976 grand final. "What was other team Bozo?" "Easts, Frank". Chuckle chuckle. Some tv commercial that turned out to be. He joined them! I must have blanked out of my brain Bozo playing at Brookie AGAINST Manly. It happened only once thankfully & Manly won.

Sun 4 June 1978 - Manly bt Easts 15-12. Fulton got a try.
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s...nly-warringah-vs-eastern-suburbs/summary.html

I don't know if this is the Brookie game. Is that Mark Willoughby behind Bozo? The crowd looks close enough to be Brookie.

Bob-Fulton-in-east-jumper.jpg

Last edited:
Funny what you forget. I hated that he left Manly after the 1976 grand final. "What was other team Bozo?" "Easts, Frank". Chuckle chuckle. Some tv commercial that turned out to be. He joined them! I must have blanked out of my brain Bozo playing at Brookie AGAINST Manly. It happened only once thankfully & Manly won.

Sun 4 June 1978 - Manly bt Easts 15-12. Fulton got a try.
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s...nly-warringah-vs-eastern-suburbs/summary.html

I don't know if this is the Brookie game. Is that Mark Willoughby behind Bozo? The crowd looks close enough to be Brookie.

Bob-Fulton-in-east-jumper.jpg
You are right mate . Just looking at the link and it was played at Brookie with a great crowd of 19, 657 and that sounds like near capacity . Bozo did score a try but we won the match by goal kicks . I am not sure if that is Mark Willoughby in the photo with Bozo . Maybe another feathered friend can help us ?
Thanks for reliving the golden moments from the past . Great work !

You are right mate . Just looking at the link and it was played at Brookie with a great crowd of 19, 657 and that sounds like near capacity . Bozo did score a try but we won the match by goal kicks . I am not sure if that is Mark Willoughby in the photo with Bozo . Maybe another feathered friend can help us ?
Thanks for reliving the golden moments from the past . Great work !

The Brooke game was June 4. Looks too hot in that photo for winter. And that stats website doesn't have Mark Willoughby making any first grade games in 1978. Oh well.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8