Blast from the Past

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just read the Boyd article. Fascinating. It's a pity that he and Brohman cannot bury the hatchet. I loved his time at Manly in spite of his "red mist". After his eye gouge of Billy Johnstone he was cited by the judiciary but played another game for us against Penrith at Penrith. The Panthers were leading at the end with an upset on the cards when someone gave the ball to Boyd. He just charged through knocked players over like nine pins and scored the match winning try. And that was it for Les and Manly. He was only 27 and really deserved some mentoring and another chance.

I thought this was good as well.... maybe a heads up for some others?

“I look back and think I didn’t do as well as I could have. I know I did well. Anyone that can play for Australia did well. Probably at the time you don’t realise what you are doing.

“When you sit back and reflect on what you did you realise what you could have done. I was very lazy and probably unfit for 99 per cent of my career. I wished I had the foresight to put a bit more effort in to being a good trainer and getting fit.

“I probably could have been a lot better than I was. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I knew I hadn’t done as well as I could have. But I had a very enjoyable career, the game was good to me.”

template

NRL
Rugby league hard man Les Boyd reflects on his controversial career
He stands among the cattle and sheep atop Stockinbingal Hill, overlooking the drought-stricken yet picturesque Cootamundra Valley.

A once notorious rugby league player is now a gentle figure working contentedly alone on his 250-acre farm 8km outside his home town of Cootamundra.

The volatile days from a celebrated career are long gone. Today’s Les Boyd is calm, unassuming, comfortable and retired.

Now 62, he owns a beautifully manicured home in Cootamundra with wife Judy, just a 100m walk from Bradman’s birthplace museum.

But he disappears most days into his white Toyota LandCruiser for a 10-minute journey to Stockinbingal Hill, situated inside the farm he proudly showcases to the visiting Daily Telegraph.

9f83c7ba160dd5441aedb4c46a44adca

Les Boyd is now enjoying life on the land.
MORE NRL NEWS:

FITTLER’S CHALLENGE TO RISING NRL STAR

BLUES’ STATE-OF-THE-ART NEW HOME

He lives with his past on-field indiscretions — incidents he cannot escape, even now.

There was the 12-month suspension in 1983 for breaking the jaw of Queensland forward Darryl Brohman, followed by a 15-month ban a year later for eye-gouging Canterbury’s Billy Johnstone.

Boyd was rubbed out of Australian rugby league.

But infamous is now ingenuous.

Quietly spoken, articulate and warm, Boyd knows he has a rap sheet and is aware his recklessness and hostility may be remembered more than a 17-Test career based on power, speed and hostility.

He repeatedly states: “I can’t turn back time.”

THE FARM

This is his haven, where he one day hopes to build a new home.

“It’s my hobby on the side,” Boyd said. “I ran about 40 cattle and 150 ewes. I have 250 acres.

“I go up just about every day for a couple of hours. It’s a release for me, I just relax.

“I do what I want to do. I feed the cattle and stock and do a bit of sheep work. It’s nice up there.

f2f9deab5eff3d8b61586825a26841d7

Les Boyd on his property near Cootamundra.
“I just sold off 30-something cattle because of the drought situation. It was just getting too hard to feed them because it’s hard to buy feed and it’s expensive.

“The sheep aren’t as hard to feed. I sell off the lambs. I run fat lambs, basically.

I have a good life. I have a good family, a good wife, two good kids and four grandchildren.

“They all live here in Cootamundra, which is great. I get on really well with the town. They even named the local oval after me.

cc89753f78fe348f3f8345d5ac065806

A footy card featuring Les Boyd at Wests.
“I’ve just come back from a month of fishing in Darwin. I like my fishing and shooting and my wife always has a list of chores for me.

“I worked for Tooheys for 23 years. It was good job.”

NRL TODAY

A rough and tough forward, Boyd is more impressed with the women’s game than the NRL.

“I don’t like the game at the moment,’’ he said. “I don’t follow it a lot.

“On a Friday night I will watch but I flick between it and the Aussie rules. I don’t mind the AFL.

“A lot of one-on-one contests are gone, when you have two front-rowers having a go at each other, like (Paul) Harragon and (Mark) Carroll.

eb30c3016a8bd7f0c2082a9c28f563a6

Manly’s Mark ‘Spud’ Caroll (right) and Newcastle’s Paul ‘Chief’ Harragon developed a fierce rivalry.
“A lot of players all play the same style, a lot of clubs play the same style.

“I never thought I would say this in my life but I sometimes think the women’s game isn’t too bad to watch.

“They play football like it should be. They run hard, tackle hard. They may be a little limited in the skills with the ball but that will come.

“They don’t have the crowding and holding down in rucks. They play a more pure game than the men.”

BROHMAN

A right elbow in game one of the 1983 State of Origin series forever changed the lives of Boyd and Brohman.

“I never meant to do it,’’ Boyd said. “You never really want to hurt anyone.

“I knew straight away it hurt him. I didn’t get into trouble for that incident (on the field). “About five minutes later I got 10 minutes in the sin-bin off (referee Barry) Gomersall for something else, a fight or a scuffle.

0f6b074d60acbc699fb66d3021f2bc1c

Les Boyd shatters Darryl Brohman’s jaw with an elbow in Origin I, 1983.
“I ran into the Queensland dressing shed — I knew he had been taken there and the sheds were alongside each other — to say sorry and that I didn’t meant to do that. I apologised because he was hurt.

“I think it was his father, he started abusing me before I said much. So I basically said ‘get f---ed’ and walked out.

“But what happened wasn’t something I wanted to happen. But I can’t take things back. Once it’s done, it’s done.”

THE FALLOUT

Brohman sued Boyd over the elbow incident but the matter was settled out of court for reported $30,000.

In 2013, Brohman said: “He doesn’t like me and I don’t like him.”

Boyd retains a healthy dislike for Brohman. Asked would he shake hands if he saw Brohman, Boyd said: “No. I wouldn’t shake his hand.

5f54a10c822e9d81d843cd0e6e7db5a8

Les Boyd leaves the judiciary after copping a 12-month ban for breaking Brohman’s jaw.
“A few things have happened over the years, a couple of articles, and he sued me, which was fine, that’s part of life.

“But there have been a couple of things said. I wouldn’t shake his hand, no.”

BILLY JOHNSTONE

Just three games back from the Brohman suspension, Boyd eye-gouged Johnstone at Brookvale Oval.

The ensuing suspension meant Boyd never again played top-level football in Australia.

“I deserved everything I got there,’’ he said. “It was more frustration.

LES BOYD BREAKS DARRYL BROHMAN'S JAW
“I had only been back for a few games. (Manly coach) Bobby Fulton brought me straight back into first grade two games before that after a 12-month suspension.

“I was copping a bit of **** off people and I knew that I couldn’t retaliate too much.

“That was my fault. I did do a stupid thing. I deserved everything I got that time.”

RUBBED OUT

Was it a witch-hunt or warranted?

“I know I made a couple of powerful enemies in the game through being outspoken and hot-headed,” Boyd said.

“I was the first person to get cited by video. I was also the second.

“There was an agenda within the game to … I had said a couple of things that I shouldn’t have said that didn’t sit well with some people. There was a concerted effort to make an example.

“But that’s part of my career, it is part of history, I can’t do much about it.

“All I can do is live with what happened. I can’t change what happened. I would if I could.

“I never meant to hurt anyone. I would go back and change that if I could. But what happened, happened. I just have to put up with it.

8d130b6bc4fe1fab5e90c442902d5102

Les Boyd ahead of the judiciary hearing in July 1984 that saw him cop the 15-month suspension that rubbed him out of the game in Australia.
“It’s part of my DNA, I suppose. Everyone talks about it and I always get people mentioning it.

“I often get people come up to me — I got painted as a person who was a bit mad — and they often say: ‘You’re not as mad as I thought you would be’.

“I can’t take things back. If I could, there are some things I would change, definitely.

“I was competitive. I wasn’t silly off the field but sometimes I think I was silly on the field.

“Being so competitive, I don’t know where it came from. I know when I was young I did some silly things I wished I hadn’t.”

LEGACY

How will Boyd be remembered for his time with Wests and Manly?

“I’m probably remembered more for my suspensions,’’ he said.

“If I hadn’t been suspended, I could have gone on and played for a few more years and more Tests and been remembered for that.

“But what happened isn’t the most important thing is my life. It’s what is going to happen tomorrow.

“I was only 27 when I finished in Sydney. I wasn’t very old. I then went to England for five years and got sent off once. I probably changed my style and game.

55dd92318c00cac45bd2e66389899c27

Les Boyd in action for Wests.
“I look back and think I didn’t do as well as I could have. I know I did well. Anyone that can play for Australia did well. Probably at the time you don’t realise what you are doing.

“When you sit back and reflect on what you did you realise what you could have done. I was very lazy and probably unfit for 99 per cent of my career. I wished I had the foresight to put a bit more effort in to being a good trainer and getting fit.

“I probably could have been a lot better than I was. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I knew I hadn’t done as well as I could have. But I had a very enjoyable career, the game was good to me.”

FIBROS AND SILVERTAILS

Boyd left the battling Magpies in 1980 for fierce rivals Manly and the reason was simple.

“Money, basically,’’ he said. “I got married in 1978 and Manly came along.

“I wanted to stay at Wests, who offered me about $17,000 a year, which was massive money for them. That was the best they could do.

“Manly offered me $40,000 plus $1000 a game. It was a big difference in salary for a young bloke who was just starting a family.

53642c0d03de0f5ae3e97ef25af77167

Les Boyd in action for Manly against Balmain.
“I also knew a lot of the Manly players from the 1978 Kangaroo tour.

“I rang Roy (Masters, then Wests coach) and told him. He said he respected the decision.

“I told him what I had been offered. Wests did come up with $17,000 and I said if they could get within $10,000 I would stay. They just couldn’t come up with the money.

“That was just the situation with Wests in those days. They weren’t a very wealthy club. I was willing to sacrifice a fair bit to stay at Wests but, in the end, I went to Manly.”

834f67325da41073b31c26c7128dae97

Les Boyd was part of the 1982 Kangaroos team, nicknamed ‘The Invincibles.’
Asked about Wests’ infamous pre-game face slapping, Boyd said: “I always made a beeline for (lock) Graeme O’Grady.

“When the face slapping started we pretended to hit each other because you didn’t want to get (John) ‘Dallas’ Donnelly or one of the big blokes because they did belt you.

“I was a bit smart and didn’t grab anyone who was a bit too serious

Funny story about les that I will try to keep brief

Les was staying at a local pub of mine in south coast coaching country kids at a NSW knockout

I was sitting next to a dragon mate of mine at the bar having an very early morning hair of the dog beer

We were the only two in the pub

He was rubbishing manly as I was dragons

I saw les walk in and stand right next to my mate at the bar who was facing me and did not see les

I encouraged him to keep putting ****e on our players and then brought of les’s name and how good he was

Sure enough my mate responded calling les all the names under the sun

He was soft, a thug , over rated and so on
His last statement was “ hey listen to him talk , he even sounds like a girl’

Les was just looking straight a head listening with dead pan eyes and I actually felt scared

I said to my mate “ bet you would not say that to his face and when he bignoted and said he would , I asked him to turn around

As he turned around, to see who was there , les turned real slow and just stared at him

My mate actually shrunk, started stuttering and shaking all at the same time while les just stared before turning towards him but then just walking out in his sorts singlet and things

To this day I don’t know if he saw the funny side and just played along but there was certainly no smile no words just those imposing eyes

Good article, and the shearer footage was fantastic.

Does anyone remember the trues he scored from scrums in our own half, manly would kick ahead immediately after winning the scrum and dale would usually win the race.

Good article, and the shearer footage was fantastic.

Does anyone remember the trues he scored from scrums in our own half, manly would kick ahead immediately after winning the scrum and dale would usually win the race.

Wish there was more of that still in the game. Thinking outside the box instead of the robots players are now coached to be.

While TT is probably our fastest in the backline at the moment which may count out that sort of play imagine 'the fox' from that side I shall not name and the speed he has latching onto a kick from the back of the scrum. Would be magic.

Wish there was more of that still in the game. Thinking outside the box instead of the robots players are now coached to be.

While TT is probably our fastest in the backline at the moment which may count out that sort of play imagine 'the fox' from that side I shall not name and the speed he has latching onto a kick from the back of the scrum. Would be magic.

Ive thought about this.
Say kick goes dead in goal our RHS, Manly player lies allover the attacking winger, even some push and shove (walker?) while we get the ball to the 20 for the resrart. Meanwhille our LHS winger and fullback line up on our RHS wing. DCE does not take a tap but boots the ball down field for us to outchase the bunched (typically) defence with their fullback up in the line.

Small % play but if trailing with a minute to go it would be exciting.

Ive thought about this.
Say kick goes dead in goal our RHS, Manly player lies allover the attacking winger, even some push and shove (walker?) while we get the ball to the 20 for the resrart. Meanwhille our LHS winger and fullback line up on our RHS wing. DCE does not take a tap but boots the ball down field for us to outchase the bunched (typically) defence with their fullback up in the line.

Small % play but if trailing with a minute to go it would be exciting.
‘That would be a penalty against Walker. It could work for other teams and players though.

A lot of young blokes in NRL should read this article and quotes from Les. Throwing away there livelihood and reputation for a few cheap thrills or stupid decisions.

Unfortunately you can’t put an old head on young shoulders - Les was a great player - watch some highlights of 1978 kangaroos tour to UK - and he wasnt even fit!

Last edited:

Another from the same site.

Didn't see a lot of Phil Blake over his career for whatever reason but God he had some talent.

I really believe that had Tom Wright had a better coach other than TB who could have developed his game the kid could have been just as electric.

Honestly can you see the style of both players was almost identical. The running stance, the step and the off the cuff brilliance.

Shame.

Phil Blake had a reasonably effective kicking game which Tom Wright did lack in general and support play and anticipation a little better as well . Both seemed to have some defensive issues . Again was really no reason or excuse not to give Tom Wright a go on the wing instead of Matt Wright and Jono Wright when Uate became unavailable and also to gain some confidence and experience and maybe he could have played some time in the centres as well . But Baz "s regular negative and unimaginative coaching approach put paid to that opportunity and for Tom Wright to show a bit more of his natural talent . Phil Blake was a relative enigma in some regards also , just so brilliant at some stages , then quite ordinary at other times . At least Phil Blake had every opportunity to show case his undoubted skills and attacking ability , unfortunately Tom Wright while not possessing Blake 's all round skill set , just really never received the required opportunity and especially last season .

Phil Blake was a footy player that didn't go missing in action .... Tom Wright was a show pony ... was never sighted off Nobby's when the going got tough ... chalk and cheese ....

Something like this would (or could) work. Especially when there is a scrum only 10-20 metres out and the fullback has his head in at lock.....

Something like this would (or could) work. Especially when there is a scrum only 10-20 metres out and the fullback has his head in at lock.....
Think that Kevie Walters in S O O for QlD did something similar in the late nineties with Ben Iken or another QLD player getting to the kicked ball first and then a try resulting not long after ? Bit of a desperation move but worth trying or considering if the chips are down no doubt ..

Looking at the clip Blakey sure went through a few clubs - no highlights from his time at Norths?

Also amazed to see his defense got a few seconds of highlights..

Phil Blake had a reasonably effective kicking game
This is the understatement of the year.
Well, the year is young (!) but close to the understatement of the century.
His kicking game was unique and one of the most devastating attacking plays in the history of the game.

As for the Tom Wright comparison... time will tell, as of now Wright is not in the same planet, let alone the same ball park.

Phil Blake was a footy player that didn't go missing in action .... Tom Wright was a show pony ... was never sighted off Nobby's when the going got tough ... chalk and cheese ....
Jeez some of you blokes are tough to please.

I made a comparison on style and attempted to link a style. Did Tom Wright piss on your lawn one night Woodsie?

We will just have to agree to disagree I guess. From my view the kid was never given a chance to mature or progress under TB who continually went for the safe boring option. Look how well that worked out for TB.

I realise your a big TB fanman and that's cool however misguided it is. Peace out

Jeez some of you blokes are tough to please.

I made a comparison on style and attempted to link a style. Did Tom Wright piss on your lawn one night Woodsie?

We will just have to agree to disagree I guess. From my view the kid was never given a chance to mature or progress under TB who continually went for the safe boring option. Look how well that worked out for TB.

I realise your a big TB fanman and that's cool however misguided it is. Peace out

I am becoming aware that one of the side effects of bum pain is the ability to blame everything on a coach .. this intellectual disconnect may make the sufferer feel better, but the continual self imposed removal from reality will have sad repercussions ...

However, I am certain that in years to come when Tom Wright is telling everybody at the bar who will listen , that he would have been a superstar if only he had a good coach .... it will warm his heart that at least one person will believe him .....

.. and I was also just pointing out the diffence in their styles .... when things got tough ... Blake had a go ...

I am becoming aware that one of the side effects of bum pain is the ability to blame everything on a coach .. this intellectual disconnect may make the sufferer feel better, but the continual self imposed removal from reality will have sad repercussions ...

However, I am certain that in years to come when Tom Wright is telling everybody at the bar who will listen , that he would have been a superstar if only he had a good coach .... it will warm his heart that at least one person will believe him .....

.. and I was also just pointing out the diffence in their styles .... when things got tough ... Blake had a go ...

So Phil Blake never had a quiet game then? was never defended out of a game due to the opposition knowing that they had to control the danger man? Without casting questions onto Blake who was special he played for 5 NRL sides yes? That says to me coaches must have been happy to let him move on then. Strange for a bloke that always had a go????

Please do enlighten me on the enigma that was Tom Wright?

His fantastic try against St George could have been described as having a go. god help us he was the only bright spark that night. I guess thou as he was given a start the following week and didn't set the world on fire that vindicated TB booting him back to the reggies.
Almost single-handedly beating the sharks in that under 20's finals game was also having a go.
Scoring some pretty impressive tries in his time with us was having a go.
Made to play fullback, center and 5/8 again having a go in a team that was crap.

Are you probably referring to the fact that 'he went missing' in too many games for the mighty unbeaten Blacktown workers last season?

It must be that because he hardly got a run under the great TB and his 39.7% win ratio. And why would he I hear you mutter, especially when we had guns such as Matty Wright and Brad Parker scoring all those tries and looking rock solid in defense.

Woodsie its ok to have a man-crush on TB and have a real dislike for Tom Wright but please don't attempt to hide the fact that the kid was never really given a go. The best way for a young player with speed and some talent coming through is to be put on the wing if the position becomes available. Tommy T, Will Hoppa, Gutherson and so many more have all started that way yet TB stuck with some really boring sometimes solid players for the simple fact that he couldn't coach his way out of wet paper bag....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8