Big Game Record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ralphie said:
So my question is, if we lose to Cronulla next weekend are we all very positive and comfortable with that record in big games and completely confident that we are in good hands.

F'k yeah! Toovs is a smart smart man. He'll get there. He has only been a 1st grade coach 2 years now. Imagine him after 3 or 4 years

Ralphie said:
I think you all should re-read my post. My question was if we get beaten next weekend are we happy that we are in good hands into the future.

So far from reading the posts and other threads it seems that most here are happy to lose the big games as long as we are coached by a club legend and good bloke and I agree he is a club legend and a good bloke.

I believe we are in great hands @Ralphie

Just look at the the new players brought on this year (as one example), plodders/bench warmers) at other clubs and now "buys of the season"!!
Hasler took time, give the little fella plenty of time I say!!!

Ralphie said:
I think you all should re-read my post. My question was if we get beaten next weekend are we happy that we are in good hands into the future.

So far from reading the posts and other threads it seems that most here are happy to lose the big games as long as we are coached by a club legend and good bloke and I agree he is a club legend and a good bloke.

Did you watch the game against the chooks? Without Stewart we did pretty good.

Go and have a look at the dogs' record without the big names before he bolted. If he's such a good coach why has t-dog gone backwards?

We lost a fair few big names and Toovey has done a great job in replacing them with discards from other clubs who are now genuine 1st graders. Don't forget we written off by most at the beginning of the season.

Yep, I'm happy with Toovey

swoop said:
Toovey has done a great job in replacing them with discards from other clubs who are now genuine 1st graders.

Its a very good point.

Lawrence, Horo, Symonds, Tafua, & Hiku have all blossomed under Tooves.

I wonder how people will handle it when we inevitably miss the finals for a year to two or even longer.

We are in a golden period, it's been going for 9 years.

I could make a case this been as good a season as 2011 or 2008 at thiss stage, we have been in every game with our biggest loss being 12 points.

Best of all our future looks very secure with. Hiku, Gutherson, Turbojet added to DCE, Buhrer, Foran, Jorge.

Enjoy it for what it is, a great pleasure to support a strong team during a golden period.

Saying the WCC is a big game is like saying the Charity Shield is a big game. Its a nice to win game, despite what some coaches have said they aren't taking risks with regards to players fitness in this fixture like they would in the NRL, especially in the finals.

Agree with Bob. The only finals run better than this was from 68-78. Eleven years and four premierships. Oh, and we won our third title in the ninth year of that golden run. With another two years later.

Enjoy it while it lasts. I think this run will go for longer than eleven straight years though.

swoop said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Maybe we should try to get that master coach Des Hasler back, he always kills it in the big games.

Where's Ryan?

Sorry, have a job, and frequent this place very rarely these days. I wonder, what Is Des Hasler's win / loss ratio in finals and WCC's compared to that of Geoff Toovey?

Facts are, assuming we play each top 4 team twice in the season proper, and have played one final (not taking into consideration pre-season games, which we lost both), Toovey has circa 7 games against other top 4 teams this season, and has won once, or has a 14% win rate.

In the 4 or 5 finals appearances, we have won once, a win rate of 25% at best.

In a World Club Challenge, under Tooves, we lost our only attempt, a win rate of 0%.

People can support and celebrate those results as much as they like, but with the roster quality we have, that's just not good enough. People can also name-call, abuse, and regress the debate as much as they like (and have tried), but the stats are the stats.

There are coaches that have gone to teams from day dot, and been very successful in big games. A lot of it comes down to culture, roster quality, luck and depth. At the end of the day, a coach can tweak a game plan to either help that quality side win or lose on big occasions.

Are people telling me, that they are "happy and proud" of winning 14% of the time against top 4 teams in a season, or are pumped to read we win 25% of our finals appearances.

If you are satisfied (given ANY excuses or reason) then fine, you win the debate, because there is no convincing some people.

I just think with the best roster and depth in the NRL, we should be streets ahead of where we are.

Did you think we had the best roster and depth in January?
Or only now, after watching what they've achieved this year?

Of course the Stewarts, Lyon and the halves are top shelf quality (though some are getting long in th e tooth or missing plenty of matches). But look at the totality of our first grade squad and few would have said in Janaury or February we had the best roster in the NRL. In fact I doubt anyone from other clubs would have thought that.

Aren't you really using the fact Toovey has done an excellent job with this squad, to disparage his ability by saying he should have done better?

That argument sounds a tad circular to me.

I agree though that I want us to win more finals.

swoop said:
Ryan have a look at our 2009 and 2010 rosters and go check out the results.

All year I have heard time and again that we have the best backline in the comp, particular the best halves. I have also heard how well Lawrence, Symonds, Fa'oso and Horo have been going and adding to our top shelf forwards in Kitey, Choc and Gifty.

There's absolutely no way anyone can use our roster as an excuse.

Here's some facts Ryan:

And if you want to compare how many big game matches the compare apples with apples i.e how did we go without some of the big guns.

2008 finished 2nd, hardly any injuries/premiership, 2009-5th loss 40-12 qualifying final, 2010-8th loss 28-0 qualifying final, 2011 2nd once again no injuries premiership, Toovey 2012 4th loss qualifying final 16-10, semi final win 22-12. prelim final loss 40-12.

IN 2012 Toovey was thrust into the job and with all the talk and innuendo about players leaving did a great job.

So even you lovechild super dog struggled without the big names.

Ralphie said:
swoop said:
Ryan have a look at our 2009 and 2010 rosters and go check out the results.

All year I have heard time and again that we have the best backline in the comp, particular the best halves. I have also heard how well Lawrence, Symonds, Fa'oso and Horo have been going and adding to our top shelf forwards in Kitey, Choc and Gifty.

There's absolutely no way anyone can use our roster as an excuse.

We lost t-dog and hoppa, replaced them with the for newbies, we were written off, Stewart has been injured.

Once again go have a look at the 2009 and 2010 rosters and tell me why the super dog failed?

Why do we not realise that we are one of the top teams? Some people keep saying we can't beat the top sides. We are one of the top sides. Souths and Easts are having a good year, and it's probably their turn. If we don't win the comp this year....it hardly makes Toovey a bad coach. He backs his players on and off the field with a passion that isn't eagerly displayed by most coaches.

It irks me that the coaches get their heads chopped off when the players are the ones that are struggling with form or injury. Unless you are an immediate part of the team/club and have a true understanding of how Toovey conducts himself within the team environment, game plans devised, respect given and received....I don't think you are in a position to give an opinion based on win loss ratios. I certainly won't. The club seems happy with Toovey. The players seem happy with Toovey. My opinion is inconsequential.

mozgrame said:
Why do we not realise that we are one of the top teams? Some people keep saying we can't beat the top sides. We are one of the top sides. Souths and Easts are having a good year, and it's probably their turn. If we don't win the comp this year....it hardly makes Toovey a bad coach. He backs his players on and off the field with a passion that isn't eagerly displayed by most coaches.

It irks me that the coaches get their heads chopped off when the players are the ones that are struggling with form or injury. Unless you are an immediate part of the team/club and have a true understanding of how Toovey conducts himself within the team environment, game plans devised, respect given and received....I don't think you are in a position to give an opinion based on win loss ratios. I certainly won't. The club seems happy with Toovey. The players seem happy with Toovey. My opinion is inconsequential.

Stop talking sense. It is much more credible when you have an axe to grind and put forward things to suit that agenda.

2009 Squad
Chris Bailey
Matt Ballin
Michael Bani
Tim Browne
Daly Cherry-Evans
Adam Cuthbertson
Kieran Foran
Glenn Hall
Trent Hodkinson
Will Hopoate
Jason King
Brent Kite
Heath L'Estrange
Jake Lingard
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Vic Mauro
Shane Neumann
Matt Orford
Junior Palau
Josh Perry
Michael Robertson
Shane Rodney
George Rose
Brett Stewart
Glenn Stewart
Andrew Suniula
Jarred Waerea-Hargreaves
Anthony Watmough
David Williams
Tony Williams

2010 SQUAD
Chris Bailey
Hooker Matt Ballin
Lock, Hooker Jamie Buhrer
Halfback Daly Cherry-Evans
Prop Matt Cross
Centre Ben Farrar
Five-Eighth Kieran Foan
Second-Row Joe Galuvao
Halfback Trent Hodkinson
Fullback Will Hopoate
Prop Jason King
Prop Brent Kite
Second-Row Darcy Lussick
Five-Eighth Jamie Lyon
Centre Steve Matai
Second-Row Vic Mauro
Front Row, Second Row, Lock Junior Palau
Prop Josh Perry
Wing Michael Robertson
Second-Row Shane Rodney
Prop George Rose
Hooker Terence Seu Seu
Fullback Brett Stewart
Lock Glenn Stewart
Second-Row Anthony Watmough
Centre Dean Whare
Wing David Williams
Wing Tony Williams

Here's the two squad that you're too lazy to look at ralphie and ryan.

Both years fail. What's the excuse?

Might it just be that both Souths and Roosters have better teams than us this year ?
We will find out in the next 3 weeks, i suppose.

Garts said:
mozgrame said:

Stop talking sense. It is much more credible when you have an axe to grind and put forward things to suit that agenda.
Lol. Sorry...uummm, I saw Toovey trip a ball boy once. He laughed and laughed and laughed. Shows you what sort of bloke he is hey?

Ryan said:
swoop said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Maybe we should try to get that master coach Des Hasler back, he always kills it in the big games.

Where's Ryan?

Sorry, have a job, and frequent this place very rarely these days.
Congratulations on getting a job. The folks must be counting the days until you move out of home

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4