Big Game Record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
Since Toovey took the reigns our big game results are as follows:

1. WCC = Loss
2. 1st Final 2012 = Loss
3. 2nd Final 2102 = Win (Hand of Foran)
4. 3rd Final 2012 = Embarrassing thrashing
5. 1st Final 2013 = Loss
6. In 2013 season beat top 4 team once (So far)

So my question is, if we lose to Cronulla next weekend are we all very positive and comfortable with that record in big games and completely confident that we are in good hands.

Note: I'm stating facts, not making a judgement here.

This has been done to death already.

But if you are asking if I'm happy with G Toovey as coach ? Then the answer is yes at this point in time. I'm prepared to see how this season pans out before we start the post mortem. Last time I looked we still had a heartbeat.

By the way "(Hand of Foran)" smacks of judgement to me. Did you not think we deserved to win that game ??

Sorry Ralphie, but you are making a judgment, and that is amply demonstrated by the facts you chose to quote.

There are many other facts you could have referred to which might suggest Toovey is doing a great job so far.

The only game we were not in was the Storm loss. We have been damn competitive all season, with our worst loss being 12 points. We have been beaten by teams that just might be better than us. Happy with Tooves as coach.

Ralphie said:
Since Toovey took the reigns our big game results are as follows:

1. WCC = Loss
2. 1st Final 2012 = Loss
3. 2nd Final 2102 = Win (Hand of Foran)
4. 3rd Final 2012 = Embarrassing thrashing
5. 1st Final 2013 = Loss
6. In 2013 season beat top 4 team once (So far)

So my question is, if we lose to Cronulla next weekend are we all very positive and comfortable with that record in big games and completely confident that we are in good hands.

Note: I'm stating facts, not making a judgement here.

Is that you Ryan?

You can write off Toovey's 1st year as coach as it was thrust on him after the dog left taking most of the coaching staff. We also lost a couple players like T-rex, Hopoate, Robbo, Rodney.

Toovey and the recruitment team under salary cap pressure had to let t-dog go we signed players who were basically discards from other clubs and turned them into genuine 1st graders.

This year without King and Gulavoa mid-season.

Stats don't always give you the whole picture.

I think Toovey has done a great job and our defence is one of the best under his stewardship.

How many experts predicted before this year kicked off that Toovey's Manly would still be alive and the Dogs would be gone?
Fact: None.
So despite the 'big-game' stat he's going great guns.
ps We aren't finished yet for this year, in case you hadn't noticed.

When you add in our record v the top 4 this year to me it is a concern

All that said I do think it is to do with the coach and wonder how bad we might be without tooves. For all of those who question tooves I yet to hear a credible alternative presented

Unlike other clubs we stick with our own. I'm more than happy to stay with Toovey. We just need to keep our same team on the field. Even when Snakes comes back it will take a couple of games. The injuries haven't helped us.

We have never won the comp with Tooves as coach. Lets sack him!

P.s A small sprinkling of sarcasm has been included.

lsz said:
I take it before this year began you expected us to be minor premiers?
We have had serious injury and suspension issues and a bunch of new no-names in the team.
Yet the team this year has been ultra consistent and played every match (OK not the Penrith game) with commitment and spirit.
If Tooves lacks any technical smarts then he should just hire some better consultant brains.

lsz said:

All that said I do think it is to do with the coach and wonder how bad we might be without tooves. For all of those who question tooves I yet to hear a credible alternative presented

How come its a concern? Up until Friday we were the only top 4 team to beat Melbourne - and beat them convincingly where as there were a couple of dubious calls made against the scum on Friday.

As others have already stated who at the start of the year thought toov's boys would be in the thick of it and judas' pups bundled out in the first round. Toovey is doing a great job. Took hasler a couple of years to get us to be a mainstay, the times are a changin' and so is the way league is played. People are quick to write off toovey's ability and we are still in with a chance. Morons.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
lsz said:
I take it before this year began you expected us to be minor premiers?
We have had serious injury and suspension issues and a bunch of new no-names in the team.
Yet the team this year has been ultra consistent and played every match (OK not the Penrith game) with commitment and spirit.
If Tooves lacks any technical smarts then he should just hire some better consultant brains.

I am saying the record is a concern but he is the right man for the job

There is no one else I would rather have in charge.

Just re read my post

It should read I do not think it is only down to the coach, rather than think

Not a great word to miss....

What's happened in the past is done. All I will say is the Roosters are without doubt the top team, better than Souffs or Storm BUT they will be praying that we dont make it to the GF against them. They know we are the only team that can beat them.

As I've said the hardest part for us is to get there. If we do get there we will win it.

I got $13 on NSWTAB before a ball was kicked this year. We have blown to $6 thanks to a 4 pt thrashing by the minor premiers but are still in the hunt. That actually paints a stronger picture than you are trying to suggest. Then there is the fact that we HAVEN'T lost to the Sharks yet and I'm not sure what the point is. Tooves will definitely do me as coach for another season at least.

I think you all should re-read my post. My question was if we get beaten next weekend are we happy that we are in good hands into the future.

So far from reading the posts and other threads it seems that most here are happy to lose the big games as long as we are coached by a club legend and good bloke and I agree he is a club legend and a good bloke.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2