Best player you have ever seen.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
With a footy in his hands, I never saw anyone better than Cliffy Lyons.

Including some non-Manly players, if I could do a YART of the best I've seen in my time (1982-) it would read:

Brett Stewart, Andrew Ettingshausen, Jamie Lyon, Mal Meninga, Michael Robertson, Cliff Lyons, Andrew Johns, Glenn Lazarus, Geoff Toovey, Mark Carroll, Steve Menzies, Bradley Clyde, Brad Fittler.

Including some non-Manly players, if I could do a YART of the best I've seen in my time (1982-) it would read:

Brett Stewart, Andrew Ettingshausen, Jamie Lyon, Mal Meninga, Michael Robertson, Cliff Lyons, Andrew Johns, Glenn Lazarus, Geoff Toovey, Mark Carroll, Steve Menzies, Bradley Clyde, Brad Fittler.
And only one banana bender.
Gotta love that !!

Definitely the hands, oh the hands.....
we are lucky these days to actually have some great footage of the greats
2nd Test 1990, possibly best game ever (I have the full game) and Cliffy was genius
these highlights are great, the pass, the fend, the backup and the backup of the backup are beautiful.

Ellery hanley wasn't to shabby either for a pom.
that Pommy team in 1990 was their best in a generation (before and after)
Kevin Ward
Ellery Hanley
Gary Scofield
Andy 'the little See U next Tuesday' Gregory
Chariots Offiah on the wing
amongst others

but thankfully we had a best in generation Aussie team to match them, with Cliffy the difference

Kevin Ward
Ellery Hanley
Gary Scofield
amongst others

but thankfully we had a best in generation Aussie team to match them, with Cliffy the difference
Coached by the great Mal Reilly.
I thought (hoped) he would coach Manly one day.
We missed our chance when bozo retired.

Yeah, I thought it was a given that we'd have Mal as coach, and maybe he did too?

How the hell did he end up at Drugcastle! :confused:
Yeah good question.
Watching the kangaroos highlights you put up before I hope big Mal is successful in bringing back the tours again.
Geez they were good.
I'm looking forward to the world cup but totally over the 4 nations format.

Yeah good question.
I hope big Mal is successful in bringing back the tours again.
I didn't know he was trying to do so, but good luck in this day and age I guess.
I would doubt any previous Kangaroo tourist has anything but wonderful memories.....
especially of playing a 2nd division team, mid week, in -10 degrees and snow/ice,
hell bent on showing the Aussies how tough they are, with a crooked ref thrown in :)

character building stuff :think:

mmmmm, maybe that Rd 1 game against the slime had a positive aspect to it....;)

I didn't know he was trying to do so, but good luck in this day and age I guess.
I would doubt any previous Kangaroo tourist has anything but wonderful memories.....
especially of playing a 2nd division team, mid week, in -10 degrees and snow/ice,
hell bent on showing the Aussies how tough they are, with a crooked ref thrown in :)

character building stuff :think:

mmmmm, maybe that Rd 1 game against the slime had a positive aspect to it....;)
Yeah those games against Blackpool and cumbria would've been.... fun.
What he's proposing is a mini tour.
Couple of warm up games and 3 tests.
Probably give France a miss.

Kevin Ward
Ellery Hanley
Gary Scofield
amongst others

but thankfully we had a best in generation Aussie team to match them, with Cliffy the difference[/QUOTE Yer that was a great team and great series
. We were lucky to get away with it after being down 1 nil. The decider was at elland road i think. Wembley when they won the first.

I'll list 5..... 1 is controversial

1. Menzies. Easily my favourite of all time..... Completely biased pick
2. Joey. Hate to say it, but the guy was a magician
3. Lyons - what a player. I only caught the tail end of his career.... But the guy was a genius
4. Lyon. Love the man - great centre
5 - my controversial pick - Ricky Stewart.

Before you shout me down - my early memories of league are of Ricky Stewart throwing long spiral passes, and hoisting booming torpedo bombs for Brett Mullins in the days where the green machine was unbeatable in Canberra. I think he played a big role in the evolution of the half back role, but also the possible attacking combinations of a full back.

Don't like him a whole lot, but I think he was a bloody good half - and tough as nails

I would love a thread around 'would have been great but got cut down by injury'.... Plenty could go on that list!!! Campese anyone???

I'll list 5..... 1 is controversial

1. Menzies. Easily my favourite of all time..... Completely biased pick
2. Joey. Hate to say it, but the guy was a magician
3. Lyons - what a player. I only caught the tail end of his career.... But the guy was a genius
4. Lyon. Love the man - great centre
5 - my controversial pick - Ricky Stewart.

Before you shout me down - my early memories of league are of Ricky Stewart throwing long spiral passes, and hoisting booming torpedo bombs for Brett Mullins in the days where the green machine was unbeatable in Canberra. I think he played a big role in the evolution of the half back role, but also the possible attacking combinations of a full back.

Don't like him a whole lot, but I think he was a bloody good half - and tough as nails

I would love a thread around 'would have been great but got cut down by injury'.... Plenty could go on that list!!! Campese anyone???
Brett papworth could've been anything but for the broken leg.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8