Battle of Hastings 1066 Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Should Hastings be given a go as a starting half in the NRL side?

• Total voters
So i hear that Hastings has guided Blacktown into the top 8.

Looking forward to seeing him play shortly.

Why does it take 2 minutes to post 2 sentences on here wtf?

Tragic ... there are some who are genuine in their opinion, as I believe you are ... and then there are others who simply jump on Hastings every week just to cause disharmony and chuckle at the resultant angst .... I had not, nor did I intend to intimate that you were one of the later .....
Thanks Woodsie

Looks like the Bayeaux tapestry can be completed. It's only the Jerker but it looks like Cletus might be orf to Uddersfeeled to join Aku

Manly stalling, but Super League move imminent for Hastings

Jackson Hastings’ Manly nightmare is almost over with the unwanted playmaker poised to sign with English club Huddersfield before the end of the week.

Huddersfield’s Aussie coach, former Raiders hooker Simon Woolford, has been in talks with Hastings’ manager Sam Ayoub and I’m hearing a deal is almost done.

Despite having a host of players on the injured list, Manly continue to snub Hastings.

The club shocked the NRL early in the season by leaking a story that Manly players refused to play alongside the controversial youngster.

Despite Hastings getting texts of support from several teammates, Manly have refused to budge and he has been stuck in the NSW Cup.

Rival NRL clubs refuse to touch him because of the bad publicity, leaving a move to the UK as his only option to rebuild his career.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...-sea-eagles/ua0hqd2r06b5135s30v47461n/slide/1

By the end of the week... leaving a spot in the 30 for Fainu... masterly planning by Gormless & SuperCoach... or just by the Jerker?

The thing about Hastings is he has never played a starting role in the halves since joining Manly.. All his games have been off the bench playing in the hooking role.

Now when we he finally gets the chance to show his real worth we wont select him.

Disappointing for everyone concerned i was really looking forward to see what he really had to offer.

Timing is everything in hindsight.....Had he got the opportunity ahead of croker i doubt the Gladstone thing would have ever of happened.

The thing about Hastings is he has never played a starting role in the halves since joining Manly.. All his games have been off the bench playing in the hooking role.

Now when we he finally gets the chance to show his real worth we want select him.

Disappointing for everyone concerned i was really looking forward to see what he really had to offer.

Timing is everything in hindsight.....Had he got the opportunity ahead of croker i doubt the Gladstone thing would have ever of happened.

Jackson Hastings has only ever once been named to start in the halves for Manly. And that day he didn't actually start in the halves. It was ironically last years game in Wollongong against St Merge.

Green was out injured, as was Api and Lewis Brown. Hastings was named at 5/8, Cam Cullen at hooker and Joey Lussick was on the bench. Though as we all know, in his infinite wisdom, Barrett decided about an hour before kick off to play Jacko at hooker and Cullen in the halves. After being what, 30-0 down at half time, Barrett hooked Cullen, brought Lussick on to play hooker and Jacko moved to 5/8....and in about 20 or so minutes the score went from 30-0 to 30-22 including a try from dummy half by Joey. Then, again using his infinite wisdom, Barrett hooked Lussick and put Cullen back on with Hastings moving back to hooker. The score blew out to 52-22 by the end.

Now when we he finally gets the chance to show his real worth we want select him.

Jackson Hastings has only ever once been named to start in the halves for Manly. And that day he didn't actually start in the halves. It was ironically last years game in Wollongong against St Merge.

Green was out injured, as was Api and Lewis Brown. Hastings was named at 5/8, Cam Cullen at hooker and Joey Lussick was on the bench. Though as we all know, in his infinite wisdom, Barrett decided about an hour before kick off to play Jacko at hooker and Cullen in the halves. After being what, 30-0 down at half time, Barrett hooked Cullen, brought Lussick on to play hooker and Jacko moved to 5/8....and in about 20 or so minutes the score went from 30-0 to 30-22 including a try from dummy half by Joey. Then, again using his infinite wisdom, Barrett hooked Lussick and put Cullen back on with Hastings moving back to hooker. The score blew out to 52-22 by the end.
He also started for the Roosters in 15 games (in the halves) in 2016 - they won 3 of those games. In hindsight he had all of 2017 to impress and resolve the off field issues that were part of the reason he left the Roosters.

While I do agree with you @MuzztheEagle , you have to look at that Chooks side in 2016, specifically their spine, to see the full picture.

Hastings was being groomed as Mitchel Pearce's halves partner. He was never meant to run the side, but had that thrust upon him when Pearce, a dog, a video and Australia Day became headline news. Suddenly Pearce was out suspended and Hastings, who was only in his second year as a player, was thrust into the chief play making role.

And it wasn't easy. Yes they still had a good side mostly and did only lose most of their games by less than a try. But their spine, other than Jake Friend.....was a rookie-fest. They had a rookie fullback in Latrell Mitchell, who ultimately proved to be a much better centre, a pair of rookie 5/8's in Jayden Nikorima (who has not played NRL since) and Ryan Matterson, with of all people Aiden Guera, a back rower, also playing a couple of games in the halves in a move that reeked of sheer desperation by Robinson. Really, Jake Friend at hooker was the only player in their spine until Pearce came back with any sort of meaningful NRL experience and their results showed that.

After that with whatever went on, he was pushed out of the Chooks and came to Manly. Now he might have been a strong chance to be DCE's halves partner except for one thing.....we had also signed experienced half Blake Green who was coming off a season where he had played a vital role in Melbourne's run to the Grand Final as Cooper Cronk's halves partner. If you had a chance to choose Cherry's halves partner in 2017, would you choose Hastings in just his 3rd season, or Blake Green who had won SL premierships with Wigan and had just played in an NRL Grand Final with perennial powerhouse Melbourne?

IMO, Hastings' biggest chance to impress was this year as we had lost Green to the Warriors and that left the door wide open for him to show what he could do. Now I'm not there so I didn't see anything that went on, but it does appear as if he did dig his own NRL grave.

Yes, Hastings never given a chance. If he started the year in the halves we would be at least 6-8 competition points further up the ladder. He has handle himself quite well despite his setbacks. He is a superstar compared to Croker and Hodkinson and is superior to them in almost every way. Hodkinson should be sitting on the bench for Blacktown based on his last few games

Yes, Hastings never given a chance. If he started the year in the halves we would be at least 6-8 competition points further up the ladder. He has handle himself quite well despite his setbacks. He is a superstar compared to Croker and Hodkinson and is superior to them in almost every way. Hodkinson should be sitting on the bench for Blacktown based on his last few games

If Hastings had been given the opportunity, or if he had actually taken it, we wouldn't even have Hodkinson because we wouldn't have needed to sign him mid-season.

I'm certain that there is a lot to the Hastings situation that we don't know and will probably never know. But if playing talent was the only criteria for selection, Jacko would have been handed the #6 jumper the day Green left and would have been told it was his to lose. And Croker would have been exactly as we signed him for, a backup who would have spend this year at Blacktown.

But it wasn't like that as we know. Once Green was released we chased just about every half on the market before finally settling on Croker because to Barrett, there was no other choice. Hastings seemingly wasn't an option and only really got runs in first grade this year because Barrett finally saw that Brown was a wasted spot. But then it all went pear shaped.

While I do agree with you @MuzztheEagle , you have to look at that Chooks side in 2016, specifically their spine, to see the full picture.

Hastings was being groomed as Mitchel Pearce's halves partner. He was never meant to run the side, but had that thrust upon him when Pearce, a dog, a video and Australia Day became headline news. Suddenly Pearce was out suspended and Hastings, who was only in his second year as a player, was thrust into the chief play making role.

And it wasn't easy. Yes they still had a good side mostly and did only lose most of their games by less than a try. But their spine, other than Jake Friend.....was a rookie-fest. They had a rookie fullback in Latrell Mitchell, who ultimately proved to be a much better centre, a pair of rookie 5/8's in Jayden Nikorima (who has not played NRL since) and Ryan Matterson, with of all people Aiden Guera, a back rower, also playing a couple of games in the halves in a move that reeked of sheer desperation by Robinson. Really, Jake Friend at hooker was the only player in their spine until Pearce came back with any sort of meaningful NRL experience and their results showed that.

After that with whatever went on, he was pushed out of the Chooks and came to Manly. Now he might have been a strong chance to be DCE's halves partner except for one thing.....we had also signed experienced half Blake Green who was coming off a season where he had played a vital role in Melbourne's run to the Grand Final as Cooper Cronk's halves partner. If you had a chance to choose Cherry's halves partner in 2017, would you choose Hastings in just his 3rd season, or Blake Green who had won SL premierships with Wigan and had just played in an NRL Grand Final with perennial powerhouse Melbourne?

IMO, Hastings' biggest chance to impress was this year as we had lost Green to the Warriors and that left the door wide open for him to show what he could do. Now I'm not there so I didn't see anything that went on, but it does appear as if he did dig his own NRL grave.

This makes sense. Nice read
Q how did hastings handle his role at the chooks. I dont watch but am genuinely interested
I agree hastings has no one else to blame but my thoughts are at times in life we have to let pride slip. In my mind this is about pride. And that pride shovel is quiely digging a few more graves which may or may not been averted

Hastings wasn't too bad playing the lead halfback role at the Chooks in early 2016, but their results do speak for themselves.....they lost more than they won and that says a fair bit considering they had won the previous 3 minor premierships, and the 2013 GF. And after Pearce came back from suspension, Hastings only lasted about 3 or 4 games before being dropped to NSW Cup for seemingly the same sort of reasons that Barrett won't play him in first grade anymore here at Manly.

If we hadn't signed Blake Green for 2017, in all fairness Hastings probably would have at the very least started last year in the Manly halves as the only other options really were Cam Cullen or Walks who was back to his best in the centres. How things would have gone from there is anyone's guess.

Good points @HoldenV8 . To clarify I wasn't trying to use his experience (as a 20 year old) at the Roosters to show his ability, only highlight the fact that we bought him with NRL experience (and also knowing about his "personality" issues) and that he was brought in as a cover player, with a hope that he could get past those issues and develop into a halves partner for DCE. In fact his time at the Roosters is quite relevant to Manly's current season and shows that when a club is in complete disarray no replacement player will fix your problem.
There is no way of knowing how well we would have done with Hastings at 6 and to say that he wasn't given a chance ignores the hundreds of training sessions that the team go through to both improve and assess skills and playing combinations. I believe that the way the whole situation could have been handled better and has caused further issues at the club, but both the hype around Hastings and the damage done to his reputaion by the club have been blown completely out of proportion by the media and that this more than anything that the club or playing group has done the most damage to our performance as well as Manly's and Hasting reputations.

Good points @HoldenV8There is no way of knowing how well we would have done with Hastings at 6 and to say that he wasn't given a chance ignores the hundreds of training sessions that the team go through to both improve and assess skills and playing combinations. I believe that the way the whole situation could have been handled better and has caused further issues at the club, but both the hype around Hastings and the damage done to his reputaion by the club have been blown completely out of proportion by the media and that this more than anything that the club or playing group has done the most damage to our performance as well as Manly's and Hasting reputations.

That's exactly right. Hastings may have the talent, but if he was as good as some think then once Green was released we wouldn't have immediately chased Moylan, Lamb, Pearce, Hodko and allegedly Carney before finally settling on the strictly back up Croker.

There is more to being selected in a football team than playing talent alone. For representative games which are at best a 3 or 4 game series, playing talent alone is fine because its a limited time and you want the best available. But for a club side where the players have to basically live, train and play together for a full season, you also go on how well they get along as a group and players who don't get along well with others, including the coach, usually don't last long no mater how good they might be or people think they are.

100% this had been blown out of all proportion by the media, not helped by the fact that Barrett himself came out in an impromptu press conference and while claiming he wasn't throwing Hastings under the bus, that's exactly what he did. And by extension it has affected the team and ever since we've gone from bad to worse. Since that time the only games we have won were Brisbane and Melbourne. We even lost to Doesn't-matta who only a few weeks before we had destroyed 54-0 and have been crap all year.

Manly fans and the club itself takes massive pride in the fact that we are the only pre-1982 club never to get the wooden spoon in first grade. The Hastings situation hasn't helped, but there are bigger reasons why that dubious honour is a very very real possibility this year.

Last edited:
Only 3 more months until we can have a wickerman ceremonial burning of the Hastings contract .... and have this thread along with every word written about the ****-up numbnut forensically deleted from the Silvertails forum forever no more .....

Only 3 more months until we can have a wickerman ceremonial burning of the Hastings contract .... and have this thread along with every word written about the ****-up numbnut forensically deleted from the Silvertails forum forever no more .....

Silvertails forum? You mean the "Hastings memorial forum"

ah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sadly I don't think so Woodsie, his name will be mentioned whenever future Manly halves have an off day, whenever he is anywhere near a try in the super league and whenever his next contract is within 1 year of expiring.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10