Battle of Hastings 1066 Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Should Hastings be given a go as a starting half in the NRL side?

• Total voters
Threw a pass into his 2nd rowers head? Nope that was Croft
Barely touched the opposition as they strolled over for a try? Nope that was Croft
Kicked on the last a 20m chip to the opposition winger? Nope that was Croft.
had everyone rave about his performance afterwards. Nope that was also croft despite these things haha.

Hastings will be in the English super league or another NRL side within the next few weeks.
He don't get along with the squad and didn't gel with DCE in pre season training. Leaving the coaching staff less then impressed

Hastings will be in the English super league or another NRL side within the next few weeks.
He don't get along with the squad and didn't gel with DCE in pre season training. Leaving the coaching staff less then impressed
That's a shame if true, because he seems to be in good form in reserve grade.

Why doesn't he get on with some of the other guys?
It's amazing how different a training environment is when you see it up close, as opposed to how it's presented in the media. Not all players like each and every member of a squad of 30 players across all clubs in the competition. They respect each other enough to be teammates but they don't all get along. It's a cut throat environment.

Some guys (like Joel Thompson and AFB for example) are hard bastards at training and they tear in and are quite aggressive but always fair. They just train like they play. I'm not insinuating anything about these two players, I am just painting a picture that it's a tough and uncompromising environment where personalities can clash because of the nature of what is taking place...it makes sense because you have testosterone driven men who are playing for big bucks, thousands of fans want success and there is a lot at stake.

In this tough and uncompromising environment, it takes certain personalities to navigate it successfully. You have relationships with coaching staff and teammates and they are so much more complex and difficult than they appear on the surface. Just like you and I go to work and struggle to comprehend the attitude, behaviour, values, beliefs, morals and whatever else you want to throw into the pot, of other staff members, the same thing happens behind closed doors at sporting clubs.

Because we don't see any of it, we imagine a completely different world that involves handshakes, pleasantries and coffee meets. Sometimes there is a tight group who get along most of the time, but there will always be the odd outsider here and there. It's part of human existence.

It's amazing how different a training environment is when you see it up close, as opposed to how it's presented in the media. Not all players like each and every member of a squad of 30 players across all clubs in the competition. They respect each other enough to be teammates but they don't all get along. It's a cut throat environment.

Some guys (like Joel Thompson and AFB for example) are hard bastards at training and they tear in and are quite aggressive but always fair. They just train like they play. I'm not insinuating anything about these two players, I am just painting a picture that it's a tough and uncompromising environment where personalities can clash because of the nature of what is taking place...it makes sense because you have testosterone driven men who are playing for big bucks, thousands of fans want success and there is a lot at stake.

In this tough and uncompromising environment, it takes certain personalities to navigate it successfully. You have relationships with coaching staff and teammates and they are so much more complex and difficult than they appear on the surface. Just like you and I go to work and struggle to comprehend the attitude, behaviour, values, beliefs, morals and whatever else you want to throw into the pot, of other staff members, the same thing happens behind closed doors at sporting clubs.

Because we don't see any of it, we imagine a completely different world that involves handshakes, pleasantries and coffee meets. Sometimes there is a tight group who get along most of the time, but there will always be the odd outsider here and there. It's part of human existence.
the last player we had that didn't get along with the playing group is now the manly captain

And it happens in any work place .

That's a shame if true, because he seems to be in good form in reserve grade.

I have no inside info as to what goes on but as Snake said, they don't all have to get along but there needs to be a level of respect of what's expected.
Since his U20's days at the Dragons it appears he's suffered from "FIGJAM syndrome" so maybe a young recruit in Croker who, like Hastings, was also a gun at Schoolboy level doing everything right at pre-season training getting the jump on him may be the the best thing for him and the rest of the squad.
Conversely he may also be another schoolboy star who never made it not because he wasn't talented enough but because of attitude.
Nothing kills team spirit more than players that just go through the motions due to talent alone whilst others bust their butt and more for the common good.
He was touted as the next big thing at the Dragons and the looked good at the chooks whilst Pearce was out but....he's only 22 on his third club without really setting the world on fire consistently, the ball is in his court.
Yes, maybe his utility value could be playing against him but head down, bum up at training and in reggies seems to be what Trent wants and he's the boss. I doubt when he signed Croker that he would've thought that he'd be our starting #6 in Rd 1.

Croker deserves a few games to settle into the role but if we are 1 from 5 or 6, I would be giving Hastings a go. He is very confident and will not lack the mouth to tell players where to stand and he does play more like Green.
Not sure any team can give a rookie halfback 6 games to prove themselves in the top grade in this day and age. If we are 1 from 6, the season is basically gone.

Hastings comes into the 17 this week for mine. Brown out. I'd start Hastings give him the first half to steer. No matter what happens you can find a place on the field in the second half for Croker to just run.

Having watched him play now. I don't find the suggestions from someone on here that the club was considered playing him at centre ridiculous anymore. Defensively he looks solid. He is a runner, bit small, but I do think he could offer a bit at centre whilst Walker is injured.

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply. You're one of my favourites here.

the last player we had that didn't get along with the playing group is now the manly captain
You are most certainly correct...and that rift most certainly did happen. Toovey was hamstrung something fierce and there was a great divide in the playing group. Barrett spoke of it in interviews when he first came to Manly.

Chez is loved by all at Manly nowadays, but Snake and Choc in particular, really did not like him because of the money he was able to demand when he hit the big time. That's the difference though, Chez was never ostracised because of his personality, it was directly concerning money, pay cuts and keeping the band together.

Not sure any team can give a rookie halfback 6 games to prove themselves in the top grade in this day and age. If we are 1 from 6, the season is basically gone.

Hastings comes into the 17 this week for mine. Brown out. I'd start Hastings give him the first half to steer. No matter what happens you can find a place on the field in the second half for Croker to just run.

Having watched him play now. I don't find the suggestions from someone on here that the club was considered playing him at centre ridiculous anymore. Defensively he looks solid. He is a runner, bit small, but I do think he could offer a bit at centre whilst Walker is injured.
I can see what you're a saying, but we could bring Hastings in and wind up worse at 0 from 6? It's all hypotheticals...sooner or later one of the two will need to be given a "serious" opportunity where confidence is shown and they feel secure enough to play "freely" for a few weeks without the threat of the axe.

If Baz brings Hastings in too soon and it doesn't work, he will be left with two bruised apples, as opposed to one.

I can see what you're a saying, but we could bring Hastings in and wind up worse at 0 from 6? It's all hypotheticals...sooner or later one of the two will need to be given a "serious" opportunity where confidence is shown and they feel secure enough to play "freely" for a few weeks without the threat of the axe.

If Baz brings Hastings in too soon and it doesn't work, he will be left with two bruised apples, as opposed to one.
Yeah take your point. I think we both know Baz has already picked, and will stick.

I still say Brown needs to go though, and stick one of them ie (Hastings) on the bench.

The coach needs someone who can play half at the drop of a hat even more than he needs a hooker. Hastings and Croker can do both.

I'm say from a team point of view, the coach should be developing both halves. It would give the coach so many more options with using his bench during the game as well.

Is it just possible that Manly have been making a behind the scenes arrangement with Hull to swap Hastings for Kelly. Hull said they wont release Kelly, but maybe for Hastings they may be persuaded. Just a thought.

Yeah take your point. I think we both know Baz has already picked, and will stick.

I still say Brown needs to go though, and stick one of them ie (Hastings) on the bench.

The coach needs someone who can play h
alf at the drop of a hat even more than he needs a hooker. Hastings and Croker can do both.

I'm say from a team point of view, the coach should be developing both halves. It would give the coach so many more options with using his bench during the game as well.

I'd say he is developing both halves that's why one is #6 in first grade and one is #7 in reggies.
Very hard to develop your game when you're on the bench.

Was i watching a different game to everyone? What did Croker do so wrong? hes played 2 nrl games now. I don't remember seeing any of the current top flight halves knock anyones socks off in their second nrl game and first since major injuries and at a new club to boot.

I thought croker was solid. If he's impressed enough over pre-season to gain the top job then obviously he's doing some stuff right. I trust the process and it's not like we're at training to see what these guys are like. I remember the first 10-15 games michael morgan played and i never thought he was exceptionally special. He's pretty bloody good now though. Guys take time to adjust to the pace of nrl.
I agree with you. But Brodie Croft knocked my socks off his first game

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7