Battle of Hastings 1066 Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Should Hastings be given a go as a starting half in the NRL side?

• Total voters
Hastings doesn't get along with a lot of the players and that's why he hasn't got a run. Croker deserves a few games to settle into the role but if we are 1 from 5 or 6, I would be giving Hastings a go. He is very confident and will not lack the mouth to tell players where to stand and what to do. He is not the fastest or most dynamic half, is kick happy and can take the wrong option, but he does play more like Green than Croker.

Time will reveal so much.
Why doesn't he get on with some of the other guys?

Hastings or Croker? I don't know because I eat sausage rolls? The coaching staff know more than I do and they see something in Croker. So, for me Croker deserves another go for sure, he wasn't terrible on Friday night but the worry is the impact it had on DCE. I don't think Hastings or Croker are a long term or best solution and it seems neither do the club or they wouldn't have tried to sign a bunch of halves over the summer. I blame the NRL for everything including climate change, in our quest for a halves partner to replace Green we've repeatedly been done in the arse by the turdburgler without lube....... and that hurts.

One thing is for sure, Hastings kicking game is very good and he is a gun goal kicker.

On the negative, his defence is poor and his football brain seems below average - takes the wrong option too many times.

The real question is - can he run a football team around the park?
Nailed it. My thoughts exactly

Noted that Gutherson couldnt break into Parra's firsts for their first game. Could there be an issue worth perusing?

Noted that Gutherson couldnt break into Parra's firsts for their first game. Could there be an issue worth perusing?

I thought he was still unavailale to due injury, thus not in the 1sts ?
Could be wrong though.

For mine .. the reason Hastings wasn't our first choice 5/8 simply gets back to his less than stellar performances in reggies last year ..

You are only as good as your last game ..

This year, from all reports, Hastings played well in reggies, and if he keeps it up he will be putting real pressure on Croker (and Barrett) ... if Croker stumbles ..... he will be given his shot ... but he HAS to earn it.

You may be right. I dont know. Just a thought because he wasnt listed.
Parra have screwed him over by picking up Hayne. There's pretty much no other spot left in their backline.

I'd love him back at Manly though. He'd be a fantastic pick up but again, not sure if he'd find a spot in our starting side either.

The Manly coaching staff just seem to primarily think that Croker can bring more and offer more to the side then Hastings at present apart from the impressive off season preparation that Croker reportedly had . Bit of a quandary with having Hastings as a bench player also if he only then has limited game time and less opportunity to further impress at Black Town . But if the policy of picking your best 17 is applied and regardless of any of Hastings suggested attitude issues , if Hastings is considered good enough sooner or latter , he should be in the top Manly 17 somewhere .

Parra have screwed him over by picking up Hayne. There's pretty much no other spot left in their backline.

I'd love him back at Manly though. He'd be a fantastic pick up but again, not sure if he'd find a spot in our starting side either.
Generally agree but i wonder what his asking price would be and if it would be realistic for Manly"s present roster situation .

I dont quite get the Hastings obsession on here

I've never seen anything from him in a Manly jersey that absolutely demands selection. In fact I saw more from Croker on Friday then what I have from Hastings......

Weird how tough we are on some players and how others seem to get a free pass

Normally I'm pretty neutral with opinion here because we're all entitled to it and this is a great forum. Quality people and lots of respect shown. But..I feel very strongly that we have got this 5/8 situation ass backwards. I really don't gaf how fit Crocker is, how much he bench presses in pre season etc. he bloody well should have impressed - he's given an opportunity in a great club so go hard. But Fmd ... it is sooo unfair on a kid with zero 1st grade experience to throw him in the deep end. Hastings always should have been the first choice 5/8 with Croker playing reggies and gaining confidence. I don't care if he's a complete asshat - he kicks goals , when he's on the park our tempo lifts and he has some experience in first grade. So if we end up 0-4 and then we sack Croker our seasons not only screwed but we've ruined a kids confidence into the bargain. That's absolutely crazy. The experiment can't go on. None of us want a season of mediocrity And we don't have time for any more 5/8 experiments. Sometimes u have to bite the bullet and make hard changes and accept u got it wrong. Croker I'm sure is a quality kid And will become a good footballer but his time isn't now. Lets fix things immediately and at least play to our potential with the right players on the park. I don't expect to win the comp but we need to maximise our potential.

This is a joke right?
Looking to dump a young bloke after one game at a new club in a tough position is not a normal way to think.
I wouldn't have had an issue if Hastings got the nod and would expect him to also be given a fair chance.

When it all boils down to it, Cust is the better option than either of them. So let's see how he adapts to the step up to reggies and if he's going alright by mid-year, he can start putting the pressure on. Hopefully Croker will have found his feet by then and there'll be no need to disrupt things.

Some of you lot love a knee jerk reaction. A couple less dropped balls, a more even handed display by the refs or a field goal shot a metre to the left and we win that game.
The backs looked dangerous and the forwards were menacing all game.

Lussick and Perrett still to come back will sort the bench. Maybe as someone suggested earlier Hastings should be pressuring Brown. But we all know the score there.

^ I'm guessing that having Hastings play full games in the halves in reserve grade is a better option for the team than having him warm the bench as a utility for firsts. It gives him a better opportunity to press his claims, as well as letting Croker know there's competition for his spot.
Hastings' biggest strength is obviously his goal kicking. Lord knows we could do with a proper kicker. But I have to agree that it's pointless to give Croker one or two games and then drop him. He needs a fair shake. That said, if the club does end up signing Albert Kelly or someone else, he's going to get shunted sooner rather than later anyway. He may have a very limited window of opportunity. Here's hoping he takes it.

Was i watching a different game to everyone? What did Croker do so wrong? hes played 2 nrl games now. I don't remember seeing any of the current top flight halves knock anyones socks off in their second nrl game and first since major injuries and at a new club to boot.

I thought croker was solid. If he's impressed enough over pre-season to gain the top job then obviously he's doing some stuff right. I trust the process and it's not like we're at training to see what these guys are like. I remember the first 10-15 games michael morgan played and i never thought he was exceptionally special. He's pretty bloody good now though. Guys take time to adjust to the pace of nrl.

What is there to lose?

I voted no on the assumption you mean round 2 rather than round 10 if Croker isn't improving.

Based on that it is ridiculous to cut Croker after just 1 game where he went ok.

Would you then drop Hastings after 1 game should he not win 3 Dally M points? Then who comes in? Is it a straight reverse for Croker again or do we try a lucky dip?

Fact is you need consistency and time on the field in game conditions, if you tossed out every player after 1 game if they don't set the world on fire you would have 2 teams left in the NRL with no bench players available.

Was i watching a different game to everyone? What did Croker do so wrong? hes played 2 nrl games now. I don't remember seeing any of the current top flight halves knock anyones socks off in their second nrl game and first since major injuries and at a new club to boot.

I thought croker was solid. If he's impressed enough over pre-season to gain the top job then obviously he's doing some stuff right. I trust the process and it's not like we're at training to see what these guys are like. I remember the first 10-15 games michael morgan played and i never thought he was exceptionally special. He's pretty bloody good now though. Guys take time to adjust to the pace of nrl.

Threw a pass into his 2nd rowers head? Nope that was Croft
Barely touched the opposition as they strolled over for a try? Nope that was Croft
Kicked on the last a 20m chip to the opposition winger? Nope that was Croft.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8