'ex' Barrett's Bulldogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
On one hand I shouldn't really care about his appointment any more than I do for any new coach.
Read the media, ignore most of it, but at the end of the day it's the players I'm more interested in.

But obviously the history he has with Manly ups the interest just a notch.

I was reading one of the many love stories about him recently and he said after the Manly (and gardening) stint he did a lot of research and education (which all coaches should do) and hung around with the all blacks coach to get pointers etc.
He's acknowledged his numerous stuff ups, says he wont do them again.

So he should be a lot better prepared for the head coach role - and that's why I'm mildly interested in seeing how he goes.

I'm a lot more interested in Manly making the finals each year and pushing for #9.
Just another competing team, so I don't care any more or any less than I do about any other team that isn't Manly. When and if it actually starts impacting us, I'll care. He might have good relationships with some of our players and they might end up at the Dogs - it's happened before and will happen again. Really, the only reason I can see the Dogs - or any other team - hiring him is on his ability to attract players, whether that ability is real or imagined. It sure as hell can't be on his results as a head coach, either in the lower grades at Penrith or at Manly.

Just on the dogs....

Not long after posting that I took my very old dog for a walk. which means we usually see all the neighbours as we're that slooooooooooooooooow. She's almost 18 so it is what it is.

I was wearing a manly t-shirt (which reminds me...I need to buy more shirts as these ones have Kaspersky on them. But they aren't available at the local shops...)

Anyway.

Some guy I met was a Canterbury fan. Born in bankstown (I think) and as is the usual case, a nice guy when talking to most fans one on one (except broncs, storm and eels..tools...lol) and he was saying he just hopes the new coach "does something" and he also read the article about trents stuff ups and hanging out with the all blacks, etc.

A bit of a difference. When I met a dogs fan after Des bailed... all he said was "Weee got yoooour cooooach na na na!" - repeat. Nauseating foxtrot whiskey India Tango.

This guy: "I just hope something positive comes from the signing."

He also thought that Gus sold Manly Trent so Trent could get experience.

So after he drove off. Another guy in a truck drove up and said hey...I'm a Manly fan too! woohoo! So I talked to him for awhile. Actually he said he was a bears fan first (uh oh)

He was the guy (that I posted about in another thread) that asked if I was from Woolongong as it was the most insulting place he could think of. lol

Last edited:
OK .... I'll try again ... please refrain from answering with jingoistic memes or rants about Bozo .... simply give an answer to the questions ...

To remind you of the point ... I was saying that it is difficult to compare coaches

1) Do you judge Brad Arthur as a coach on his 2018 wooden spoon .... or the team he has put together and his results this year ?

2) Do you rate Ricky Stuart as a coach by his wooden spoons ... or his Easts Premiership and his results with the raiders for the past 3 years ?

3) Do you rate Paul Green as a coach by his 2 Grandfinals and a Premiership .... or his results this year ?

4) Do you rate Dessie as a coach by his 2 Premierships ... or his last 2 years at Bulldogs ?

Given the vast discrepancy in results attained by the same coaches ... only a moron .. or a clown ... would conclude anything other than that ... there are factors that determine results independent of who the coach is ....

You know I love you Woodsie, but you are letting your love of the most beautiful man in the western suburbs effect your prefrontal cortex. Most of those coaches apart from Brad Arthur who is a pretender had made great progress early on in their career with premierships after a couple of years, thus getting the support when things went slightly off later in their career. Unfortunately the chemicals in Barrett's hair gel leaked into his brain and has effected his ability to be successful early on in his career. That is why he took a Penrith u20's from top 4 to 14th and out of the 8 in his first stint as a coach and as soon as he left they returned to top 4. He had one half decent season at Manly and scraped into the 8 in the final couple of rounds but could easily have missed it, the rest was diabolical with arguably a better team than Des has now. NRL coaches don't normally get years to make mistakes and come good, just ask Ivan Henjak, Geoff Toovey, Garth Brennan or Anthony Griffin. Poor old Griffin & Tooves had a coaching record that Barrett could only dream of and yet here we are.

Boy I am glad I have the experts on this site to put me thinking straight ...

Again on 360 ... that numbnut Benji Marshall (what would he know about football) ... said every Manly player he has spoken too gives Barrett huge wraps .... and same at Penrith ....

Bloody Benji should know better than to listen to people who have actually been coached by him ....
Just because he is liked or thought of highly by players doesn't mean he is a good coach. It could be his problem.

You know I love you Woodsie, but you are letting your love of the most beautiful man in the western suburbs effect your prefrontal cortex. Most of those coaches apart from Brad Arthur who is a pretender had made great progress early on in their career with premierships after a couple of years, thus getting the support when things went slightly off later in their career. Unfortunately the chemicals in Barrett's hair gel leaked into his brain and has effected his ability to be successful early on in his career. That is why he took a Penrith u20's from top 4 to 14th and out of the 8 in his first stint as a coach and as soon as he left they returned to top 4. He had one half decent season at Manly and scraped into the 8 in the final couple of rounds but could easily have missed it, the rest was diabolical with arguably a better team than Des has now. NRL coaches don't normally get years to make mistakes and come good, just ask Ivan Henjak, Geoff Toovey, Garth Brennan or Anthony Griffin. Poor old Griffin & Tooves had a coaching record that Barrett could only dream of and yet here we are.

Because you love me .... (and before we proceed to far down that path .... I will just add that whilst I admire your taste, I don't like your chances) .... I will take the effort to explain to you my real feelings ...

I have no greater love for Barrett than I do for any other coach ... if I am totally honest ... the real issue is that I am unable to suspend logic and commonsense, and ascribe every fault in the world to him .... the bum-sore hysterical nonsense that is said about him borders on the demented ...

The irony and double standards of many of the comments is staggering ... for example ... AFB abusing a ref .... had that been under Barrettt, the numbnuts would be schreeching from the keyboards proof that he had lost the dressing room and a total lack of discipline ..... under Dessie .... all's good ... (PS .. no, I don't think Dessie has lost the dressing room)

The obsession of some to put shiite on him says more about them ... than it does Barrett ...

Could Barrett have been better ... of course ... Is he a good coach, or more relevant, will he be a good coach .... going by everything anybody who has had something to do with him has said ... I have to say I believe he will ... but then again ... only about 8% of coaches ever win a Premiership .. so the odds are heavily against him ....

Just because he is liked or thought of highly by players doesn't mean he is a good coach. It could be his problem.

I would agree to some extend ... but many of the wraps are coaching related .... if he is guilty of being too matey .... that changes with experience ... it is not a fatal flaw ... it's a fine line ....

Because you love me .... (and before we proceed to far down that path .... I will just add that whilst I admire your taste, I don't like your chances) .... I will take the effort to explain to you my real feelings ...

I have no greater love for Barrett than I do for any other coach ... if I am totally honest ... the real issue is that I am unable to suspend logic and commonsense, and ascribe every fault in the world to him .... the bum-sore hysterical nonsense that is said about him borders on the demented ...

The irony and double standards of many of the comments is staggering ... for example ... AFB abusing a ref .... had that been under Barrettt, the numbnuts would be schreeching from the keyboards proof that he had lost the dressing room and a total lack of discipline ..... under Dessie .... all's good ... (PS .. no, I don't think Dessie has lost the dressing room)

The obsession of some to put shiite on him says more about them ... than it does Barrett ...

Could Barrett have been better ... of course ... Is he a good coach, or more relevant, will he be a good coach .... going by everything anybody who has had something to do with him has said ... I have to say I believe he will ... but then again ... only about 8% of coaches ever win a Premiership .. so the odds are heavily against him ....
I hope that if i ever need defending, you are in my corner. Love your work Woodsie!

to the above argument, I think a point to judge a coach on is impact and impact with personnel.

Trent had very little impact, one lucked out finals appearance, give Des the exact same team and the impact was clear. Over time at a club a coaches impact will wane and that is usually when they move on.

I have never seen a coach who has achieved so little, get so much press....I mean Barrett's name pops up more than any other coach or player in the NRL....imagine if he ever starts to win anything !!

to the above argument, I think a point to judge a coach on is impact and impact with personnel.

Trent had very little impact, one lucked out finals appearance, give Des the exact same team and the impact was clear. Over time at a club a coaches impact will wane and that is usually when they move on.
Great point We all saw the Impact from Des from the same team and the same facilities that Trent had . End of story and the ones that cant see the obvious can continue writing their own fairy floss tales

I have never seen a coach who has achieved so little, get so much press....I mean Barrett's name pops up more than any other coach or player in the NRL....imagine if he ever starts to win anything !!
The moral of the story ...

Potentially Trent is a master head coach who can build a resilient wining club

Practically We all saw how resilient our players were that played under him .

Premiership winning Teams are build on resilience and the quitter that left us when the going got tough quit us just like his loving players that loved him gave up in games that played for him .
They is a saying...... a coaches character rubs off in the way his team competes

Take a journo out to lunch, or just buy him a beer, and you can get them to write anything.

My biggest issue with Trent is that he quit on us. When he tendered his resignation, it had clearly become too much for him since early 2018. He was a good coach who hadn't learnt to deal with adversity and that filtered down to the players and nearly won us our first wooden spoon. Hope he goes well at the dogs as long as they never beat us in the finals.

Also Barrett made John Cartwright wear a suit, even when running the pre game warmups. It was absurd.

under Des Hoss wears training gear which is more appropriate and effective. But less fashionable.

Take a journo out to lunch, or just buy him a beer, and you can get them to write anything.
I think there should be more love between teams and journos. Maybe we would get a better quality of story? I dunno. You would know more TW how it works. Would love our team get better press one day.

Also Barrett made John Cartwright wear a suit, even when running the pre game warmups. It was absurd.

under Des Hoss wears training gear which is more appropriate and effective. But less fashionable.
Even Chairman Dan just wears his NorthFace fleece and he runs a whole province:
Screenshot_20200726-205448_Samsung Internet.jpg

With Trent, winning begins in the bathroom mirror.

My biggest issue with Trent is that he quit on us. When he tendered his resignation, it had clearly become too much for him since early 2018. He was a good coach who hadn't learnt to deal with adversity and that filtered down to the players and nearly won us our first wooden spoon. Hope he goes well at the dogs as long as they never beat us in the finals.
How true, there no doubt bar Dce he developed this whole squad he simply did not stick it out through tough times and whinge about lack of depth all the time.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8