'ex' Barrett's Bulldogs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bored ... so another reality check ...

In the past 3 weeks .... There have been several stories crediting Penrith's success this year to several factors .... 1) Baz has got a wrap for his work as the attacking coach and 2) Ciraldo has received equal praise for their defence ....

Now Cleary is the Coach ... but he doesn't appear to have a problem with, or contest those facts ... instead takes credit for putting a good support team in place ... critical in today's game ...

Now, when the numbnuts take time off from rubbing salve on their sore butts, and stop eating the crayons .... they will remember the real reason that Baz quit had nothing to do with chairs ... but the fact that Penn refused to employ the support staff that had been promised ... refused to fund the club up to professional standards ....

In the past 3 weeks .... There have been several stories crediting Penrith's success this year to several factors .... 1) Baz has got a wrap for his work as the attacking coach and 2) Ciraldo has received equal praise for their defence ....

Now Cleary is the Coach ... but he doesn't appear to have a problem with, or contest those facts ... instead takes credit for putting a good support team in place ... critical in today's game ...

Now, when the numbnuts take time off from rubbing salve on their sore butts, and stop eating the crayons .... they will remember the real reason that Baz quit had nothing to do with chairs ... but the fact that Penn refused to employ the support staff that had been promised ... refused to fund the club up to professional standards ....
I watched penrith yesterday, commentary team said a few times that penriff had no creativity in attacking the line

I watched penrith yesterday, commentary team said a few times that penriff had no creativity in attacking the line
Interesting they were missing their 9, same as Manly and it has affected Manly to a degree as well.

Without a good 9 last year, Penrith were the 4th worse attacking side.

When Manly had Faniu, DCE and Tom on the field last year I thought we were as dangerous as any side in the comp

I saw that as well . The amount of dropped ball the Titans gave them and the amount of the rub of the green the refs gave them the Panthers looked clueless indeed .
Bring on the pinkies at Lottoland .

I saw that as well . The amount of dropped ball the Titans gave them and the amount of the rub of the green the refs gave them the Panthers looked clueless indeed .
Api has been HUGE for that team this year... has locked down their ruck defense, provided excellent service to their halves, created chaos around the ruck when forwards get quick PTB and made good attacking choices when they are attacking the tryline...
They are obviously not a 1-man team by any stretch but I would greatly prefer to play the riff without Api controlling their ruck...

Absolutely with the ref. Gave Penruff everything early, 6 again's, penalties. The Tits got absolutely nothing

Api has been HUGE for that team this year... has locked down their ruck defense, provided excellent service to their halves, created chaos around the ruck when forwards get quick PTB and made good attacking choices when they are attacking the tryline...
They are obviously not a 1-man team by any stretch but I would greatly prefer to play the riff without Api controlling their ruck...
Agreed - he's been great. So the question is, is Penrith's improvement down to Api or Barrett? I'm guessing Api has made more of an impact than Old Mate…
On a related note, started watching "Zoolander" last night with the wife and kids. That movie wouldn't be anywhere hear as funny as it is if Barrett had never coached Manly.

Agreed - he's been great. So the question is, is Penrith's improvement down to Api or Barrett? I'm guessing Api has made more of an impact than Old Mate…
On a related note, started watching "Zoolander" last night with the wife and kids. That movie wouldn't be anywhere hear as funny as it is if Barrett had never coached Manly.
I'd say theres some eggs and some flour in that cake Ron... TB was not great for us but he ain't Robinson Crusoe as there have been a LOT of individuals who have let our club down over the last 7 or 8 years imo... Api was great when he was here, just a little underappreciated, so I am "Api" to see him going well for the Riff......

Api is a great player and so is our first choice hooker Fainu who was huge for us as well.

This will be the making or breaking of Barrett’s coaching career. He’s had a couple of tries with the Penrith under 20s and the Sea Eagles and really hasn’t looked like a coach. Yes, he had a half way decent year when Green was running the team but Bellamy had trained Green. At the Dogs he will have plenty of resources and support and he can shape the team he wants to play the football he wants them to play. I wish him well but I expect that in two years the Bulldogs fans will be screaming for his head.

I'm bored too, so will engage...

Actually, only on one point about refusing to employ the support staff that had been promised and refusing to fund the club up to professional standards. Don't forget that at the same time as Baz was demanding these things, the Club got slugged with a $750k fine ($250k suspended) for salary cap breaches. And whose pocket does that fine come out of? To my mind, TB might have had cause to be miffed about some items not being delivered, but the broader context was the Club was haemorrhaging cash due to an unbudgeted reaming from the NRL. So, I can't blame the owners for looking to defer costs in the circumstances, and think "refusing to fund" too harsh.

I'm bored too, so will engage...

Actually, only on one point about refusing to employ the support staff that had been promised and refusing to fund the club up to professional standards. Don't forget that at the same time as Baz was demanding these things, the Club got slugged with a $750k fine ($250k suspended) for salary cap breaches. And whose pocket does that fine come out of? To my mind, TB might have had cause to be miffed about some items not being delivered, but the broader context was the Club was haemorrhaging cash due to an unbudgeted reaming from the NRL. So, I can't blame the owners for looking to defer costs in the circumstances, and think "refusing to fund" too harsh.

Whatever the reason for not providing sufficient resources .... if Penn can't afford it ..... he shouldn't own it .... and if he can afford it and doesn't .... he is a **** ...

You mean Penn refused to employ people around him to do the coaching for him? He had John Cartwright, an experienced NRL coach, alongside him the entire time, in 2016 he had Anthony Seibold as his 'minister of defence' (but mysteriously he left) and in 2017 he had Willie Peters as an assistant but that didn't end well either.
The head coach is responsible for keeping the coaching staff on the same page.Simple fact is Baz may have great ideas about the game and be popular but he was not ready for such a big job. The manner of his resignation simply proved that.
Even if he does well at the Dogs (which will be an uphill battle) that won't rewrite his failed history at Manly (and I say all that as someone who really wanted him to succeed at Manly).

Not sure how the level of resources for an N R L club has a direct correlation to poor team tactics and selections , game plans and defensive structures in particular which seemed to typify Trent "s coaching approach to Manly during 2018 . Had his share of difficult and challenging times at different stages as do all N R L head coaches and instead of trying to man up to them , just seemed to lose interest and then regularly apportion the blame to other factors . dubious excuses and a total lack of respect for the club in general . Probably a quite personable and decent guy and plenty of goodwill for him in the early stages from the club and supporters but sugar coating his overall time at Manly really just does not cut it in regard to the manner he conducted himself when the going got tough , when a sufficient professional approach was really required and when some claim of ;lack of resources then virtually became a cop out .Maybe he can or will do better as a head coach but his short comings at Manly as time progressed were fairly obvious on any balanced perspective .

You mean Penn refused to employ people around him to do the coaching for him? He had John Cartwright, an experienced NRL coach, alongside him the entire time, in 2016 he had Anthony Seibold as his 'minister of defence' (but mysteriously he left) and in 2017 he had Willie Peters as an assistant but that didn't end well either.
The head coach is responsible for keeping the coaching staff on the same page.Simple fact is Baz may have great ideas about the game and be popular but he was not ready for such a big job. The manner of his resignation simply proved that.
Even if he does well at the Dogs (which will be an uphill battle) that won't rewrite his failed history at Manly (and I say all that as someone who really wanted him to succeed at Manly).
There was a bit of a team below that too - Lambkin who is a great juniors coach, and Chad was earning his stripes.

You mean Penn refused to employ people around him to do the coaching for him?

Wow .... just in the last week ... I have heard Penrith, the team leading the comp, attribute a lot of their success to the attack coach, the defence coach and their staff ..... Robinson, the premiers for the past 2 years, came out and said his bald mate the assistant coach and his coaching staff have been a huge part of their success .... Bellamy at Melb, who haven't missed the Semi's in 16 years ... always have an abundance of talented assistant coaches ....

So, in your 1908 world ... a head coach, with a 36 man squad (development players ) in an 8 hour day .... can give ... wait for it .... 13.33 minutes of one on one time per player a day ....

Thank goodness Dessie agrees with me and has Carty, Monnas, Randal, Ballin, Donny ... along with Cleal, sprint coach, team Psychologist et al ....

Or maybe you are correct ... Penn should sack the lot of them and tell Dessie to do the coaching himself ....

Boy this love fest of pretty boy sure is getting old, wake me up when we are back to Peter Sharpe.

Perhaps Penrith are giving the ass coaches wraps to try to divert attention from the top of the table team. That would be the smart thing to do.

I know some on here dont take change well, but jeez its the middle of a season and we are fighting to make the finals and ppl still lining up to suck barretts lolipop. Barretts record IS horrible, get over it and get constructive.

Boy this love fest of pretty boy sure is getting old, wake me up when we are back to Peter Sharpe.

Perhaps Penrith are giving the ass coaches wraps to try to divert attention from the top of the table team. That would be the smart thing to do.

I know some on here dont take change well, but jeez its the middle of a season and we are fighting to make the finals and ppl still lining up to suck barretts lolipop. Barretts record IS horrible, get over it and get constructive.
True, but he does have have an ability to mesmerise certain folk. And his supporters become rusted on die hards who are incapable of seeing what is plainly obvious. Barretots (Male fans) and Barretotets (female fans.)

I'll be honest I just don't like him.I just don't like the cut of his jib. I thought he was an absolute failure with us and I'll shocked if the same result is not achieved at Bulldogs. I wish him and the Bulldogs nothing but continued misery.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8