Barrett and Cartwright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Lol Barrett was gutted we lost because he wanted to prove to gus he is the man at the panfers not because he cares about our club

Tom had a good game until the team needed him to show composure and not gift a try to the Panthers.
If this crap keeps getting served up they'll be lucky to get 4k to home games by the end of the season.

giphy.gif

Much is made on here of the fact that these two aren’t “ Manly”, and because of that they can’t be successful nor feel passion for our club.

So for the excercise ( and I don’t have all the answers) but how about we compare the current 16 coaches / assistants ( if we know the names and origins of said assistants) and see if the “ they are XXXX “ for their clubs.

I think we don’t need to include Bennett who was the Donkeys first ever coach, or Bellamy who has been the Storms only coach.

So that leaves 14.

Ricky Stuart is Raiders to his core, so there’s one.

Souths ( running first ) has Seibold a Queenslander.

Rorters has Robinson, who played with the Tigers and Parramatta.

Shane Flanagan coaches the Sharks , and has a similar history to Robinson.

The Panthers have a another Queenslander , who never played in the NRL.

The Dragons have McGregor, a St George product.

The Warriors have Kearney, also a local product.

The Tigers have Cleary , a Manly junior ( who also played for a lot of other clubs).

The Knights have Nathan Brown, a St George product.

The Bulldogs have only this year gone back to a a local in Dean Pay.

Anyway , don’t know about the assistants but that’s enough for the point I want to make.

In the modern game , not so in the past when they were playing for peanuts, which is 100% professional, I’m not sure having a born and bred coach makes the difference between success and failure.

I’ve read so much on here all year about how we need a Manly man at the helm , but I’m not convinced that would make any difference to this playing group.

I’m sure many will totally disagree , but if you have to have a club legend to be successful how it that working for say Souths or the Rorters this year??

Isn’t it more about the quality of the line up AND the ability to keep the core say 19-21 on the paddock for most of the year!

Something our supposedly Dud coaches haven’t had the luxury of.
Exactly right. While im no big fan of current coaches . We struggle to much because we dont have quality back up to cover injuries. Players from our winning under 20s were not ready this year, maybe next year. And our reserve grade team has no one banging on the door. If we had a run of no injuries like the dragons im sure we'd be in the 8. That and the hastings drama killed us. Next year full strengh team is a new beginning. But we need to maintain our reserves with eager guys looking to step up for when the injuries happen.

Exactly right. While im no big fan of current coaches . We struggle to much because we dont have quality back up to cover injuries. Players from our winning under 20s were not ready this year, maybe next year. And our reserve grade team has no one banging on the door. If we had a run of no injuries like the dragons im sure we'd be in the 8. That and the hastings drama killed us. Next year full strengh team is a new beginning. But we need to maintain our reserves with eager guys looking to step up for when the injuries happen.

Compare us to St Merge who have used 21 players all year!!

There’s just no comparison really.

Last edited:
Meh.
Dont give a tinker's cuss about Atar. The loose carry from the bomb that was knocked out was unforgivable from a guy that regards himself as a leader.
What we needed was a mistake free set of six.

Obviously we all love the bloke but they need to smarten and harden up.

Feed them all a bag of cement! and a thesaurus

Lol Barrett was gutted we lost because he wanted to prove to gus he is the man at the panfers not because he cares about our club
Us against the world is what makes Manly Manly. I don't give a rats what those other loser clubs do, Manly's success has always been home grown.
Barrett cares about the team, that is reasonably clear to see.
As for 'club', look up the meaning of the word and you'll see it defined with words such as "members", and "belong" and "meets regularly".
The Sea Eagles sells ticketing products but that is not really belonging to a club.
The MWDRLFC (Football Club) was the club part, and that part was specifically distanced by Penns when they assumed total control.
Can a privately owned footy franchise ever replicate a positive, inclusive club identity for players and ex-players? Maybe Broncos & Storm have something similar to that (at least from a distance it might be so).
If that it is even at all possible to achieve with private ownership it would certainly require, one would think, a deliberate conscious effort on the part of the owners and their management.

Compare us to St Merge who have used 21 players all year!!

There’s just no comparison really.

Another good comparison with Saints is the coach, the same people who have been calling McGregor a dud coach for 4-5 years, must be sacked etc, they have stuck with him, and with some luck and a rise up the ladder now all of a sudden have nothing to say about him

Another good comparison with Saints is the coach, the same people who have been calling McGregor a dud coach for 4-5 years, must be sacked etc, they have stuck with him, and with some luck and a rise up the ladder now all of a sudden have nothing to say about him
Steeler coaching the Steelers..,,

Even reported on Sunrise sport that Dumb and Dumber are in talks with the Chocolate soldiers. Fingers crossed.

I’m not a fan but Hook gets a rough deal as a coach on the outer. He gets no drama or media attention just “replaced”. Strange.

He must coach for the payouts!

Anthony Griffin could be pushed out to the Super League to make way for Trent Barrett and John Cartwright

THE Panthers could be looking to offload coach Anthony Griffin in order to bring in Trent Barrett and John Cartwright.

Griffin’s three-year tenure at the Panthers, including 68 games and 40 wins, could be coming to an end according to James Hooper.

“There has been so much outside noise in relation to the Panthers and their coaching situation,” Hooper told Fox League’s Big League Wrap.

“The noise won’t go away at the moment, that perhaps Anthony Griffin might move on at the end of the season and he could end up coaching over in the Super League or somewhere else.

“That would mean that perhaps the door opens for Trent Barrett and John Cartwright, who won a premiership at the Panthers many years ago when they won their inaugural title, to go back out west and head up this young gun roster.

“It is arguably one of the best lists in the competition.”

Michael Ennis pressed Hooper on when the noise will become reality.

“That is the million-dollar question, but it has been around all season,” Hooper said.

“There is no way anything will happen prior to September, but I just wonder as players, all that constant noise simmering, does that become a distraction and does that flow onto the field.”

Were it not for a record late comeback against the Sea Eagles, the Panthers would have lost five of their past six games.

Phil Gould has shown a willingness to shake things up in the past, as evidence by bringing in Griffin to replace Ivan Cleary, despite Cleary being quite successful at the club.

“I’m not saying it is set in stone, but the talk has been consistent all season,” Hooper said.

“This noise has been simmering away in the background for most of the year and I don’t think Saturday’s result would have a bearing on it either way.

“If it had gone the other way and they lost to Trent Barrett and John Cartwright, then maybe it would have flared up even more so.

“It is just a ‘watch this space’ at this point in time because as we know in rugby league, things can turn on a ten cent piece.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...um=email&utm_campaign=crm&utm_content=control

I think there is plenty wrong with DCE at the moment but he isn't a lost cause as we know the ability is there. At present he is not engaging the line, running the ball, looks lost in defence, his kicking game is woeful and I font think he is inspiring the team as captain.

He is not our biggest problem, but he is our most expensive and long term one if he doesn't start playing to his ability.
Lost in defense??? Are you serious? DCE is probably one of the best if not the best defensive 1/2 in the NRL. The rest maybe right...........

Good to see you poking around Byso. Agree with most of that, although Tom got a UAI/ATAR in the 90’s, so he’s certainly no dummy. If anything, his skill level can’t match up with his brain at times.

A big part of the problem is that with no quality 5/8 generally in the side, Tom is forced to play as one in attack which means we aren't using his strength properly which is his running game. If he had a decent player to run off like he did last year with Green it wouldn't be a problem.

Which is why I'd like to see either Brian Kelly get a run in the #6.....or for Barrett to play Hokdinson at half where he can organise and move DCE to pivot where he can run.

Tom needs to be running onto the ball straight through gaps, not trying to create something out of nothing. Which is why it makes me laugh at the idiots on Facebook who think he should be playing 5/8 or centre. He's not skillful enough or have the awareness to play pivot, and at centre he is stuck on one side of the field.

A big part of the problem is that with no quality 5/8 generally in the side, Tom is forced to play as one in attack which means we aren't using his strength properly which is his running game. If he had a decent player to run off like he did last year with Green it wouldn't be a problem.

Which is why I'd like to see either Brian Kelly get a run in the #6.....or for Barrett to play Hokdinson at half where he can organise and move DCE to pivot where he can run.

Tom needs to be running onto the ball straight through gaps, not trying to create something out of nothing. Which is why it makes me laugh at the idiots on Facebook who think he should be playing 5/8 or centre. He's not skillful enough or have the awareness to play pivot, and at centre he is stuck on one side of the field.
I do feel sorry for Tom at times, I think he is a victim of trying to solve all of teams problems. Being intelligent may help when reviewing mistakes and coming up with plays but trying to multitask in the pressure of an actual game is never going to work and for me it's where Barrett and co. appear to be falling apart. With the number of player and positional changes we have had to make this year you think it would be important to make it clear to players on their roles in both attacking and defensive roles but instead we have players stifling our attack when they approach the line with no idea what to do next, no set plays and players who rush out in defense and leave a massive gap behind them.

I do feel sorry for Tom at times, I think he is a victim of trying to solve all of teams problems. Being intelligent may help when reviewing mistakes and coming up with plays but trying to multitask in the pressure of an actual game is never going to work and for me it's where Barrett and co. appear to be falling apart. With the number of player and positional changes we have had to make this year you think it would be important to make it clear to players on their roles in both attacking and defensive roles but instead we have players stifling our attack when they approach the line with no idea what to do next, no set plays and players who rush out in defense and leave a massive gap behind them.

100%. Unfortunately it doesn't stop some from laying into Tom every time he makes a mistake.

We aren't a team, we are a bunch of individuals. And to me that is down to poor coaching. I don't care what resources Barrett may or may not have to work with compared to some other coaches like Bellamy or Robinson or Bennett. The fact is that we have no structure in attack or defence, our game plans seem to be one dimensional with almost no back up plans. Our fitness compared to most is poor and when things start to go against us, we have little to no resolve to get back on track. Resources or no resources, a good coach will still get his players playing as a single unit, not 17 individuals.

Last edited:
.or for Barrett to play Hokdinson at half where he can organise and move DCE to pivot where he can run.

Im exactly the same.

I will always wonder how we would have gone with a few little adjustments

1. DCE at 6 and Hodkinson at 7
2. Splitting Taupau and AFB up. We lose all go forward when they are both off.
3. ****ing straighten Tom Trebojevic up in attack

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8