Barrett and Cartwright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Does anyone know how well these guys work as a team.
Cartwright to me seems like a very experienced and knowledgeable assistant to have. Does he have much say on what goes down there. Or does he sit back snicker to himself everytime Barret stuffs up?
Player fitness levels are obviously an issue especially in the back end of games. (That's if the guys are actually having a go on the day. Which isn't always the case)
Player changes with 10 to go were diabolical.

Nothing wrong with DCE he does his best with a bunch of pea hearted buffoons.

Tom's great. But he's also a dumb arse.

That'll do for now.

Does anyone know how well these guys work as a team.
Cartwright to me seems like a very experienced and knowledgeable assistant to have. Does he have much say on what goes down there. Or does he sit back snicker to himself everytime Barret stuffs up?
Player fitness levels are obviously an issue especially in the back end of games. (That's if the guys are actually having a go on the day. Which isn't always the case)
Player changes with 10 to go were diabolical.

Nothing wrong with DCE he does his best with a bunch of pea hearted buffoons.

Tom's great. But he's also a dumb arse.

That'll do for now.

Good to see you poking around Byso. Agree with most of that, although Tom got a UAI/ATAR in the 90’s, so he’s certainly no dummy. If anything, his skill level can’t match up with his brain at times.

I think there is plenty wrong with DCE at the moment but he isn't a lost cause as we know the ability is there. At present he is not engaging the line, running the ball, looks lost in defence, his kicking game is woeful and I font think he is inspiring the team as captain.

He is not our biggest problem, but he is our most expensive and long term one if he doesn't start playing to his ability.

Dunno how well they work as a team but here is an article by Cartwright today...

SHATTERED BARRETT PLOTS SEA EAGLES BOUNCE BACK

By Dean Ritchie

JOHN Cartwright took his close mate Trent Barrett for coffee at South Curl Curl Surf Club on Sunday morning to help mend a broken heart.

Cartwright, Manly’s assistant coach, woke early and decided to take the gutted Sea Eagles coach for a difficult debrief at Gusto on the Beach.

Barrett looked a broken man in his post-match press conference after Manly conceded four tries in seven minutes late in Saturday’s 28-24 loss to Penrith at Lottoland.

Cartwright and Barrett met to discuss the match and then start planning for Sunday’s game against Cronulla at Southern Cross Group Stadium.

“We had coffee this morning, we debriefed,” Cartwright said.

“Trent hates losing as much as anyone but he will be back on Monday attacking it the right way. He is raw and emotional. The players see the real him.

“He is doing everything but go out there and play the game. He is living every moment with the players.

“There have been some tough conversations but we have the basis for a very good side here.

“We will have an honest video session (this morning) and then leave it there, get back into it and be all about trying to spoil Cronulla’s party.

“There are sides every year in our position. We can’t all be at the top. We have five rounds to try and finish the season on a high and get up the ladder as far as we can.”

Defeat kept Manly in the mix for the dreaded wooden spoon.

“When you look at it realistically, we were a whole lot better than the week before,” Cartwright said in reference to last week’s 56-24 loss to the Sydney Roosters.

“But we can’t make excuses for that 10-minute period where we let the game slip.”

Fox Sports vision appeared to show Manly forward Jake Trbojevic close to tears as he walked off Brookie.

“That wouldn’t surprise me,” Cartwright said.

“He is a throwback to the old days. He is a very proud fella and prides himself on his performances.”

Dean Richie interview at Peter Peters request I suspect. Cheaper to keep Teflon Barret than pay for a new coach. In reality someone of Maguire’s experience won’t come near the joint until the cap appeal and management issues are satisfactorily sorted out. We need a new benefactor fast. Feels like Greenburg’s masterplan is Working. The. New York Eagles or the Qatar Eagles would give us more financial clout. Make it happen!

Good to see you poking around Byso. Agree with most of that, although Tom got a UAI/ATAR in the 90’s, so he’s certainly no dummy. If anything, his skill level can’t match up with his brain at times.
There is a big difference between being book smart and a having good footy brain - Tom has no footy brain....yet (hopefully that will develop). He consistently makes the wrong decision under pressure. He has so much talent; however, he needs greater footy awareness to take him to the next level.

giphy.gif

There is a big difference between being book smart and a having good footy brain - Tom has no footy brain....yet (hopefully that will develop). He consistently makes the wrong decision under pressure. He has so much talent; however, he needs greater footy awareness to take him to the next level.

For sure, Fittler has a brilliant football brain, but in the real world he is dim. I was more commentating on Byso’s statement that Tom is a dumb-arse. He’s not dumb.

Regardless, I think a lot of Tom’s errors are skill errors rather than poor decision making. I guess you can argue that throwing a pass you don’t have the ability to execute is poor decision making, but it’s more skill related. A lot of his forward passes are the right decision, he just can’t execute.

For sure, Fittler has a brilliant football brain, but in the real world he is dim. I was more commentating on Byso’s statement that Tom is a dumb-arse. He’s not dumb.

Regardless, I think a lot of Tom’s errors are skill errors rather than poor decision making. I guess you can argue that throwing a pass you don’t have the ability to execute is poor decision making, but it’s more skill related. A lot of his forward passes are the right decision, he just can’t execute.
My point around decision making is that he will consistently pass when he should run, and run when he should pass (rather than the execution of the actual passes). I have lost count how many tries he has bombed because of this. The fact is though, that his natural ability has created the opportunities in the first place - he just can't finish them with sound decision making.

Meh.
Dont give a tinker's cuss about Atar. The loose carry from the bomb that was knocked out was unforgivable from a guy that regards himself as a leader.
What we needed was a mistake free set of six.

Obviously we all love the bloke but they need to smarten and harden up.

We can't all be at the top? Haha, that's exactly the quote he bleated before being sacked from The Gold Coast! Exactly the same the dosile Indian Wilderbeast.

Imagine Craig Bellamy saying that in the media. Jesus Cartwright you baffoon. Think before you speak - ****!

You're not in the Gold Coast anymore. I hope Marty wanted to smash Ferris.

I don't think our losses are purely the result of footballing ability, or lack thereof. Therefore, I'd scrap the video sessions showing the trainwreck.
This week I'd be concentrating purely on the mental side of sport.
That loss was a mental disintegration. They must bring in a sports psychologist to make them mentally stronger. Losing has become a habit. And it's not just First Grade it's all our grades.
And while on this theme: if we recruit any players from now on I'd make the first criteria that they would have had to have been in the Storm's system for a season or more. We need players who have been programmed to win.
Strangely, I can only think of Steve Bell when I recall Melbourne recruits to Manly. He really helped our team back then.
Why don't we recruit proven winners rather than players from average clubs?

FMD these guys have no balls. TB being taken for coffee "to help mend a broken heart." Then go back to training for honesty session... WTF? Last time I checked they're supposed to be coaching rugby league, in the toughest comp in the world. How the fark is our team supposed to have a backbone if our leader / head coach has a cry and honesty session after a loss? And the media is lapping it all up. Poor TB!

Much is made on here of the fact that these two aren’t “ Manly”, and because of that they can’t be successful nor feel passion for our club.

So for the excercise ( and I don’t have all the answers) but how about we compare the current 16 coaches / assistants ( if we know the names and origins of said assistants) and see if the “ they are XXXX “ for their clubs.

I think we don’t need to include Bennett who was the Donkeys first ever coach, or Bellamy who has been the Storms only coach.

So that leaves 14.

Ricky Stuart is Raiders to his core, so there’s one.

Souths ( running first ) has Seibold a Queenslander.

Rorters has Robinson, who played with the Tigers and Parramatta.

Shane Flanagan coaches the Sharks , and has a similar history to Robinson.

The Panthers have a another Queenslander , who never played in the NRL.

The Dragons have McGregor, a St George product.

The Warriors have Kearney, also a local product.

The Tigers have Cleary , a Manly junior ( who also played for a lot of other clubs).

The Knights have Nathan Brown, a St George product.

The Bulldogs have only this year gone back to a a local in Dean Pay.

Anyway , don’t know about the assistants but that’s enough for the point I want to make.

In the modern game , not so in the past when they were playing for peanuts, which is 100% professional, I’m not sure having a born and bred coach makes the difference between success and failure.

I’ve read so much on here all year about how we need a Manly man at the helm , but I’m not convinced that would make any difference to this playing group.

I’m sure many will totally disagree , but if you have to have a club legend to be successful how it that working for say Souths or the Rorters this year??

Isn’t it more about the quality of the line up AND the ability to keep the core say 19-21 on the paddock for most of the year!

Something our supposedly Dud coaches haven’t had the luxury of.

Dunno how well they work as a team but here is an article by Cartwright today...

SHATTERED BARRETT PLOTS SEA EAGLES BOUNCE BACK

By Dean Ritchie

JOHN Cartwright took his close mate Trent Barrett for coffee at South Curl Curl Surf Club on Sunday morning to help mend a broken heart.

Cartwright, Manly’s assistant coach, woke early and decided to take the gutted Sea Eagles coach for a difficult debrief at Gusto on the Beach.

Barrett looked a broken man in his post-match press conference after Manly conceded four tries in seven minutes late in Saturday’s 28-24 loss to Penrith at Lottoland.

Cartwright and Barrett met to discuss the match and then start planning for Sunday’s game against Cronulla at Southern Cross Group Stadium.

“We had coffee this morning, we debriefed,” Cartwright said.

“Trent hates losing as much as anyone but he will be back on Monday attacking it the right way. He is raw and emotional. The players see the real him.

“He is doing everything but go out there and play the game. He is living every moment with the players.

“There have been some tough conversations but we have the basis for a very good side here.

“We will have an honest video session (this morning) and then leave it there, get back into it and be all about trying to spoil Cronulla’s party.

“There are sides every year in our position. We can’t all be at the top. We have five rounds to try and finish the season on a high and get up the ladder as far as we can.”

Defeat kept Manly in the mix for the dreaded wooden spoon.

“When you look at it realistically, we were a whole lot better than the week before,” Cartwright said in reference to last week’s 56-24 loss to the Sydney Roosters.

“But we can’t make excuses for that 10-minute period where we let the game slip.”

Fox Sports vision appeared to show Manly forward Jake Trbojevic close to tears as he walked off Brookie.

“That wouldn’t surprise me,” Cartwright said.

“He is a throwback to the old days. He is a very proud fella and prides himself on his performances.”

A very Inspirational article thank you Ritchie . Articles that real life Rocky stories are made of

I can imagine the half time pep talks . Very up lifting . Bring tears to coaching staff and players after each loss

Our culture is changing from the Mighty Sea eagles to the Manly cry babies

As we can now see the honesty sessions are still going stronger than ever and our progression as a team is going no where
“We will have an honest video session (this morning)"

Oh well , at least their honest
images (1).png
images (1).png

Tom makes mistakes but he gets far too much ball and is responsable for far too much of manlys attack. He plays fullbak and 5/8 essentially , is the only guy trying to create and gets bashed up as its predictable as ****.

All this after his first origin series. Bellamy rests players because of fatigue and manly we the youngster extra workload and responsability. Poor coaching but piss poor team contributions leaving it to him also . Walker back helps a lot but lets not burn him out before he is 25

He makes some clangers but i feel kind of sorry for him

Gives the bloody centres some ball for a start, thats an onfield choice

FMD these guys have no balls. TB being taken for coffee "to help mend a broken heart." Then go back to training for honesty session... WTF? Last time I checked they're supposed to be coaching rugby league, in the toughest comp in the world. How the fark is our team supposed to have a backbone if our leader / head coach has a cry and honesty session after a loss? And the media is lapping it all up. Poor TB!
Probably had a double skim soy decaf latte!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8