Barrett and Cartwright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
You know, people (especially the media) can make all the excuses in the world for Barrett claiming that we're a club in turmoil and that he is lacking resources behind the scenes.....but that doesn't excuse the fact that we really are a poorly coached team.

Yes we have had injuries this year and yes that has meant swapping players left, right and centre almost since Round 1 and I do realise in those situations its hard to get combinations going between players. But when I look at a side like Melbourne who we played a few weeks back.....its night and day in the way they are coached. Even with what most called a reserve grade side save a few regulars, even with the fill-ins they still played like a team. Every player knew their role and what they were doing. Whenever Smith had the ball, he always had 2 or 3 players at least in support running lines.

We have fill in players who have been there almost every week and they still look lost.

That is the difference between a well coached side and poorly coached side. We are poorly coached and its got me beat why everyone seems to think that Barrett will do so much better at Penrith. The quality of players Penrith have are no better than ours really, we proved that for 67 minutes on Saturday. What makes people think he will suddenly turn into a supercoach with that squad? Resources and behind the scenes support staff is one thing, but the coach still has to actually coach. In his 3 years with Manly we have literally gone backwards.

I wonder who Bulldog Ritchie is talking about....

COACH SWAPPING CLUBS NEXT YEAR?
Rumours continue to bubble along about a current NRL coach ready to swap clubs for next season.

The coach has endured a difficult season and is poised to walk away. It will make for a big story.

One thing we are not is a mentally strong team. We have lost our mongrel. We rarely close out matches. We have been the better side in many matches this season that we have lost.
We need all our coaching staff to understand the importance the mind plays in a winning culture.
Give me a player with a strong mind any day over a player with a strong body.

I still point to the fact that not only has he failed at Manly, we were ranked 9th when he came in and are now ranked 14th (and lets face it, the squad isn't really much different this year save no Blake Green, yet we have dropped 7 places on the ladder in just 12 months), but he also failed as Penrith's U/20s coach. In his only year coaching during a period where they won 2 premierships and made 3 GF's in 4 years, the only year did they not just miss the Grand Final but missed the finals altogether was in his year coaching them. And its not like he had a completely new squad from the reigning premiers he took over. Only a handful of them moved up into the senior ranks or left the club so he still had most of the NYC premiership winning squad at his disposal.

He can't coach, simple. Fill-ins like Brad Parker and Matt Wright or not, we do have a talented squad. We have representative players such as DCE, the Turbos, Kapow, Hodko, Kelly, Walker, AFB, Api (when fit) and Taufua.....and we are running 3rd last with only 5 wins from 19 games.

If we had a coach like Bellamy, Robinson, Maguire or yes, even Des....I have no doubts that we would be in or fighting for a place in the top 8 right now even with the injuries we have/had.

Last edited:
Wait till Gould sacks griffin then put a transfer fee onto Barrett and one on Cartwright, just like Gould did with the player that went to the sharks.

Much is made on here of the fact that these two aren’t “ Manly”, and because of that they can’t be successful nor feel passion for our club.

So for the excercise ( and I don’t have all the answers) but how about we compare the current 16 coaches / assistants ( if we know the names and origins of said assistants) and see if the “ they are XXXX “ for their clubs.

I think we don’t need to include Bennett who was the Donkeys first ever coach, or Bellamy who has been the Storms only coach.

So that leaves 14.

Ricky Stuart is Raiders to his core, so there’s one.

Souths ( running first ) has Seibold a Queenslander.

Rorters has Robinson, who played with the Tigers and Parramatta.

Shane Flanagan coaches the Sharks , and has a similar history to Robinson.

The Panthers have a another Queenslander , who never played in the NRL.

The Dragons have McGregor, a St George product.

The Warriors have Kearney, also a local product.

The Tigers have Cleary , a Manly junior ( who also played for a lot of other clubs).

The Knights have Nathan Brown, a St George product.

The Bulldogs have only this year gone back to a a local in Dean Pay.

Anyway , don’t know about the assistants but that’s enough for the point I want to make.

In the modern game , not so in the past when they were playing for peanuts, which is 100% professional, I’m not sure having a born and bred coach makes the difference between success and failure.

I’ve read so much on here all year about how we need a Manly man at the helm , but I’m not convinced that would make any difference to this playing group.

I’m sure many will totally disagree , but if you have to have a club legend to be successful how it that working for say Souths or the Rorters this year??

Isn’t it more about the quality of the line up AND the ability to keep the core say 19-21 on the paddock for most of the year!

Something our supposedly Dud coaches haven’t had the luxury of.
Great point Mark. Inconsistency in the team lineups and turmoil in the club have made it a year to forget. Barrett hasn't helped himself with some of his decision making but I'm not entirely convinced that another coach would have yielded better results. Aside from the last 15 minutes of the game, we played fairly well to be up 24-6. The team have been absolute tripe at times this season but it's a combination of poor decisions from the coach, injuries and backroom turmoil.

Great point Mark. Inconsistency in the team lineups and turmoil in the club have made it a year to forget. Barrett hasn't helped himself with some of his decision making but I'm not entirely convinced that another coach would have yielded better results. Aside from the last 15 minutes of the game, we played fairly well to be up 24-6. The team have been absolute tripe at times this season but it's a combination of poor decisions from the coach, injuries and backroom turmoil.

Yes a combination of many things, not one thing!!

My point exactly.

A big part of the problem is that with no quality 5/8 generally in the side, Tom is forced to play as one in attack which means we aren't using his strength properly which is his running game. If he had a decent player to run off like he did last year with Green it wouldn't be a problem.

Which is why I'd like to see either Brian Kelly get a run in the #6.....or for Barrett to play Hokdinson at half where he can organise and move DCE to pivot where he can run.

Tom needs to be running onto the ball straight through gaps, not trying to create something out of nothing. Which is why it makes me laugh at the idiots on Facebook who think he should be playing 5/8 or centre. He's not skillful enough or have the awareness to play pivot, and at centre he is stuck on one side of the field.

its almost like as he is the second highest paid player he is expected to play like that

its almost like as he is the second highest paid player he is expected to play like that

Same with DCE. Everyone thinks that because of his salary he should be perfect all game, every game. It just doesn't work that way.

Just listening to Paul Kent, said the Carty and Barrett could end up at The Riff.

He also said Salary Cap appeal to be announced this week. He thought the appeal would be unsuccessful but said Manly have done nothing wrong. He actually stuck up for us.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8